[COMPLETE] Lessons in the Shanghai Dialect - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

CH02:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_02_pott_128kb.mp3 (07:11)

Please do take your time,K. Have a lovely weekend. X
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

IstXA

Post by IstXA »

good morning K, CH04 is uploaded. Thank you and have a lovely weekend. X

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_04_pott_128kb.mp3 (09:48)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: March 13th, 2021, 3:43 am good morning K, CH04 is uploaded. Thank you and have a lovely weekend. X

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_04_pott_128kb.mp3 (09:48)
Thank you. You, too!

I will begin the PL of these sections on Sunday. At least, that is my plan!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

IstXA wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:36 am K, hope you got upper hand over the whether these days. I have started this book and uploaded three chapters so far, ready for PL. I have done the checker and maintained inbetween 88-90dBs so will omit giving out details. Thank you.

Here is the CH00:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_00_pott_128kb.mp3 (10:22)
PL OK!

This will prove to be very interesting to me, ignorant as I am of any language but English and Portuguese.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: March 14th, 2021, 2:37 pm
IstXA wrote: March 5th, 2021, 4:36 am K, hope you got upper hand over the whether these days. I have started this book and uploaded three chapters so far, ready for PL. I have done the checker and maintained inbetween 88-90dBs so will omit giving out details. Thank you.

Here is the CH00:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_00_pott_128kb.mp3 (10:22)
PL OK!

This will prove to be very interesting to me, ignorant as I am of any language but English and Portuguese.
Glad it could be fun for you. :clap:
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

CH05 is uploaded. Please take your time. There is no rush. Thank you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/shanghaidialect_05_pott_128kb.mp3 (12:04)
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I have marked this section PL OK!, but I would like to point out that some of the sounds you voice---at 14:45 and 15:21, for example---are very difficult to hear. I think some (or many) of these sounds are impossible to pronounce loudly without distorting them, so I leave all of this to your experience and ear.

I think that it is possible---more possibly, likely---that the student will 'hear' these sounds quite well if he or she has the text in front of him or her and can see what it is to expect.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: March 17th, 2021, 3:59 pm
I have marked this section PL OK!, but I would like to point out that some of the sounds you voice---at 14:45 and 15:21, for example---are very difficult to hear. I think some (or many) of these sounds are impossible to pronounce loudly without distorting them, so I leave all of this to your experience and ear.

I think that it is possible---more possibly, likely---that the student will 'hear' these sounds quite well if he or she has the text in front of him or her and can see what it is to expect.
Thank you for the feedback, K. I fully agree to your concern :thumbs: . The consonants are difficult without coupling with vowels as they are merely the ruptured breathes in-between teeth, tongue, and lips. I justify for now we leave CH01 as-is: 1. the original book does not denote any particular vowel to couple with the consonants; 2. this dialect employs four tones which adds complexity when coupling consonants with vowels; 3. CH01 is the elementary pronunciation of consonants and vowels, for each sound, the book gave examples led by "... as in ...", coupling the consonant and the vowel with tones and represented by a particular Chinese character. Let's see whether we can live with if the concern goes away in the later lessons when moving away from the elementary pronunciation, or whether we can consider to omit the whole table of COMPLETE LIST OF INITIALS AND FINALS USED IN THE SHANGHAI DIALECT?

And you are right :thumbs: that it would be far much better to have the textbook in front of the listener who, if only, is an ardent Shanghai dialect learner. Oh well, at least there is such a book to slow down the disappearance of the Shanghai dialect. These days, Shanghai people have to speak Mandarin Chinese in restaurants and shops in Shanghai. :cry:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Thank you for considering my concerns. I am quite happy to defer to your judgment.

I am excited for all that may come next.

If you can bear with me to hear a story from many years ago, while a student, I met a professor from Communist China who ate his meals with us during his stay. My Resident Director asked that I be a kind of host to him at these meals and we communicated with smiles and pointing. The man was so gentle and patient with me. I asked a friend to join me at these meals, a young woman just starting her studying of Mandarin (?) and this was probably an amusement to the professor, but the two did speak to one another. Elementary things, of course, but he was pleased, I'm sure, that an American was learning his language.

This was long ago when President Nixon had encouraged Americans to understand China. The professor came to his meals immaculately dressed in what I thought was a Mao suit. He was only with us for two weeks or so, but his memory lives on.
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS wrote: March 17th, 2021, 6:30 pm Thank you for considering my concerns. I am quite happy to defer to your judgment.

I am excited for all that may come next.

If you can bear with me to hear a story from many years ago, while a student, I met a professor from Communist China who ate his meals with us during his stay. My Resident Director asked that I be a kind of host to him at these meals and we communicated with smiles and pointing. The man was so gentle and patient with me. I asked a friend to join me at these meals, a young woman just starting her studying of Mandarin (?) and this was probably an amusement to the professor, but the two did speak to one another. Elementary things, of course, but he was pleased, I'm sure, that an American was learning his language.

This was long ago when President Nixon had encouraged Americans to understand China. The professor came to his meals immaculately dressed in what I thought was a Mao suit. He was only with us for two weeks or so, but his memory lives on.
A wonderful story makes one wonder what left behind the heels of TIME - the CHANGES of China in the past half a century! So no ping-pong tournaments as part of exchange programmes between American and Chinese universities in addition to the one-way visits of Chinese cadre professors?
IstXA

Post by IstXA »

KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I hoped to catch up on my PL today but could not. I hope to do so tomorrow.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sections 2, 3, and 4 PL OK!

At first I thought pauses of 4 seconds in the recording was excessive, but listening more and thinking of the prospective student, I think you have decided very well.