Complete [solo] Indian Converts by Experience Mayhew-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Indian Converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England by Experience Mayhew (1673 - 1758) and others.

This work is actually two "essays" which circulated together, one addended to the other.

The first, Indian converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England, is written by Experience Mayhew. Experience was one in a long line of missionary ministers to the Wampanoag Indians on Martha's Vineyard. This work is a treasure trove of small biographies of Native Americans and their amazing faith in God, despite enormous persecution by their fellow man. Experience retells the stories of Native American “godly ministers” (pastors and the like), “other good men,” “religious women,” and “of pious young persons.” Experience knew the native language as if it was his own since he had lived side by side with the Wampanoag all his life, therefore, each account is first hand or from Native American sources.

The second work is an essay added as an appendix by Thomas Prince, a fellow colonial minister and the premier colonial historian of the time, which was finished with much help from Experience Mayhew. The piece is entitled: Some Account of those English Ministers Who Have Successively Presided Over the Work of Gospelizing the Indians on Martha’s Vineyard, and the Adjacent Islands. The title is a fitting description of this biographical work of four generations of Mayhew ministers in Martha’s Vineyard: Governor Thomas Mayhew Senior, who purchased Martha’s Vineyard and later lived and ministered there; the Reverend Thomas Mayhew Junior, who made initial contact and set the tone of the ministry among the Wampanoag; the Reverend John Mayhew, Thomas Mayhew Junior’s youngest son; and the Reverend Experience Mayhew, John’s eldest and the aforementioned author of Indian Converts. ( Eric Schievenin)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/indian-converts-of-marthas-vineyard-in-new-england-by-experience-mayhew/
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/indianconvertsor00mayh/page/n5
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: Classics (Antiquity); *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Religion; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies; *Culture & Heritage;

Keywords that describe the book: 18th Century, Massachusetts, New England, Indians, missionary, conversion, convert, 19th century, Puritans, Native Americans, Reformed, colonial, colonies, evangelism, missions, missionaries, experience mayhew, mayhew, martha's vineyard, new-england, wampanoag, indian christians, colonial missions, world missions, colonial mission, massechutes bay colony, american missions, john elliot, thomas prince, thomas mayhew, john mayhew, indians of north america, world mission, hiacoomes, momonequem, chilmark, massacheusetts history, tackanash, christian-town, praying town

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Indian Converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Indian Converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England, by Experience Mayhew. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Indian Converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England by Experience Mayhew. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Indian Converts: or, Some account of the lives and dying speeches of a considerable number of the Christianized Indians of Martha's Vineyard, in New-England, by Experience Mayhew. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename indianconverts_##_mayhew_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. indianconverts_01_mayhew_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Lorry and Elijah,
I had to redo this. There was some glitch with the other version. I lost the posts from the first I am afraid.
Sorry about this.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

Dear Amy and Lori,

Yes that was weird, since I was on page 1 and clicked for page 2 only to find that it "does not exist."

I've been listening to section 01 and am pleased to say that Lori in general is very pleasant to listen to! There are no background distractions, etc. And the volume seems great (I do not have to amplify it within the reader the way I do other audio books generally).

Yet, as we'd discussed in the famous 'lost posts,' this classic volume is a difficult textual artifact to read, what with early 18th-cent. printing font, spellings and all, and so I have a few comments to offer of variously lesser and greater import.
02:30 omission of final clause of sentence following "Intention," skipping from that to the following paragraph ("We can by no means . . . .") and omitting: "America has been a field of some actions . . . notice taken of them."
02:40 for "the BOUNDS of the Roman Empire" I hear "the SOUNDS of the Roman Empire"
03:10 for "BOASTed conversions" I hear "BEASTed conversions"
06:24 for "satellited" I hear "satellite"
07:05 for "into" I hear "in"
07:29 for "in this matter" I hear "in the matter"
09:58 for "Blast from Heaven conSUMing them" I hear "conFIRMing them"
11:35 for "they who are desirous to see" I hear "delirious to see"
11:47 for "Grace of our great Redeemer" I hear "our Redeemer"
Sorry if some of these are a bit picky, and maybe they should be ignored since we're not aiming for total perfection.

Please let me conclude saying what a pleasure it is to act as your assistant in this, Lori and Amy! We apparently agree with the book when it says these things should be preserved, don't we? :D

Your colleague, James (aka elijah2k)
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Amy and James,

So sorry I've been missing for a few days, but I did not get a notice of your messages for some reason. I just happened to come and check on the project, and found your messages. I hope it was not something I did in the workflow to mess up the last version, but it seems ok now. Thanks.

James, excellent prooflistening. I believe I have made all the corrections, and have uploaded a new file that you can find here or in the magic window. Please do a spot check of the items in your notes to make sure I fixed all the errors. If it's all ok, please reply with "PL OK."

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_01_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Duration: 14:39

Many thanks,
Lori
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

Dear Lori,
Yes, thanks, for the updated file, and I'll check that next.
I just finished 02 Intro, and may I congratulate you on a really fine job, especially with that bit near the end where you (if we have the same text where every other page is very faded) had to reconstruct the text! The only conjecture I can throw out is that perhaps it originally said: "for many THEMES must for this Reason be only generally signified" (where you reconstructed it as "many TIMES"). But seriously, I'm not sure any more than you are, ha! And it's certainly not worth redoing it all just on the off chance of what may be a better guess.
So I'm simply going to say A-OK on this section, or perhaps more properly, as you put it, "PL OK" on 02 Introduction.
Cheerio for now,
Jacques :clap:
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

Dear Lori,
I am impressed by your diligence to address the shortcomings in section 01, however slight they may have been, and our product is rising above the initial requirements set for it!
But at 03:17 I still hear "BEASTed conversions" instead of "BOASTed conversions," which concept parallels "brag'd of his having baptized" in the subordinate clause following. It seems to me that the expressions are in apposition to one another, leading to a reading of "bOast" to parallel "brag."
If you did not accidentally skip this one and instead think it is a better reading of the obscure vowel in the text, then I won't press the issue further.
So, if you choose, then "PL OK" on section 01 Attestation (or I am happy to proof listen any further change).
Agape en to Xristo,
Iakobos
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hello James,

You are too kind! But no, you are correct; I did miss that one. I have now corrected it. To be sure, you will have your work cut out for as my PL, so thank you in advance for your patience.

Here's the new correction to Section 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_01_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Duration: 14:38

Please let me know when this is PL OK.

Thank you!
Lori
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

A+! "PL OK" on 01 Attestation (and I had previously also said "PL OK" on 02 Intro).
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Thank you!
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

James,

On the last page of the introduction (section 02), what do you think about the word "things" rather than themes or times? It doesn't require much to change a single word, so I'd appreciate your honest assessment, and if you think there is a better word for that one that's difficult to read, I'll be glad to change it.

Take care,
Lori
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

Hey, y'know, Lori, I think you may have the best option! Even though we don't see the dot of the "i," we do see the head of the "g" just as we see when "things" appears at the beginning of the next sentence. I'm so happy that you are careful to recreate the most faithful rendering of cousin Mayhew's work, as I am, and that you are generous with your time in this. Even if we receive no laud from listeners, maybe we'll have a little jewel in our crowns for such a work of love. Yours, James :clap:
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi James,

Here is Section 3. It's a long one.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_03_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Duration: 56:49.16

Be sure to make a list of anything that could be distracting to a reader. Also, you could be checking to see that the silence at the beginning and end is appropriate, .5-1 second at the beginning, and 5 seconds at the end. I mostly know about proofreading things because of all the times I've been corrected. :)

Also, I have replace the word "times" with "things" in section 2, at marker 11:52, and have left the status at PL OK, but feel free to check it if you have the time.
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_02_mayhew_128kb.mp3

Yes, this is a jewel, for sure.

Best wishes,
Lori
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi James,

Here's another section for you. I'll probably keep putting one out every other night, though if many corrections are needed, I may spend a night on corrections rather than reading.

Section 4, Chapter 1, part 2 (examples 6 - 10)
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_04_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Duration: 29:3, Ready for PL

Best wishes,
Lori
elijah2k

Post by elijah2k »

Sorry I'm behind on my listening, for this week is the annual Evangelical Theological Society conference, and I am attending and engaging in scholarly interaction and networking. But I'll get back on the PL as time allows. Ciao for now, Giacomo :shock:
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi James,

Here is section 5, Chapter 1, part 3, (examples 11 - 15) ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/indianconverts_05_mayhew_128kb.mp3
Duration: 33:35

Best wishes,
Lori