COMPLETE: SOLO 'Sylvie and Bruno' by Lewis Carroll - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/sylvie-and-bruno-version-3-by-lewis-carroll/
Sylvie and Bruno, first published in 1889, and its second volume Sylvie and Bruno Concluded published in 1893, form the last novel by Lewis Carroll published during his lifetime. Both volumes were illustrated by Harry Furniss.

The novel has two main plots: one set in the real world at the time the book was published (the Victorian era), the other in the fantasy world of Fairyland. While the latter plot is a fairy tale with many nonsense elements and poems, similar to Carroll's Alice books, the story set in Victorian Britain is a social novel, with its characters discussing various concepts and aspects of religion, society, philosophy and morality. ( Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/620/620-h/620-h.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales

Keywords that describe the book: children, humour, fairys

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Sylvie and Bruno. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Sylvie and Bruno, by Lewis Carroll. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Sylvie and Bruno by Lewis Carroll. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Sylvie and Bruno, by Lewis Carroll. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename sylvieandbruno_##_carroll_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sylvieandbruno_01_carroll_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID3 tags. These are completed during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this for you. I own these books so this will be fun. :D

If you don't have a DPL lined up I'd be happy to do that as well. If you already had someone it's not a problem to swap us out.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Thats great. Thank you.
I have no DPL arranged. Be great if you are happy to do it.
Cheers
Craig
linny

Post by linny »

Great news for me! I've moved us to going solo.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

:thumbs:
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/sylvieandbruno_01_carroll_128kb.mp3 17:10

First chapter is up.

A few things I would like your input on.

The images for this book are really important and in the narrative there are several references to the images at specific points. I have not included them, but am tempted to do so and ensure we supply a link to the images or even better, a downloadable file with the images in. Is this possible do you think.

I know we attached images to 'Alice in Wonderland'.

They are available through Wikimedia Commons and are out of copywrite etc.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sylvie_and_Bruno_illustration_page_3.png

I said we needed a chapter 0, but this is just a short poem. Should I include that at the start of chapter 1 instead do you think.

Sorry about the complications.
linny

Post by linny »

The poem is so short I think your adding it to the start of chapter 1 is a good decision.

Would you mind sending me the link to the Alice in Wonderland project you were referring to. I'd like to take a closer look at it. I'm sure we can do something about linking to the artwork.

It's been a long day. I'll PL for you over the weekend.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

linny wrote: November 4th, 2020, 4:11 pm The poem is so short I think your adding it to the start of chapter 1 is a good decision.

Would you mind sending me the link to the Alice in Wonderland project you were referring to. I'd like to take a closer look at it. I'm sure we can do something about linking to the artwork.

It's been a long day. I'll PL for you over the weekend.
This is the link to Alice in Wonderland.
It includes a link to the images.

I'll amend chapter 1 to include the poem.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://librivox.bookdesign.biz/book/15200&ved=2ahUKEwjer8isg-rsAhWMQUEAHVeXCrgQjjgwAnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2n4amjnYvfSIxTvK4PYhgQ
linny

Post by linny »

Sure we can do that. Unless you can find all the illustrations in a single site I can scan the ones I have and upload to IA (Internet Archive). I have the 1884 edition so it's PD. Let me know.
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

linny wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:56 am Sure we can do that. Unless you can find all the illustrations in a single site I can scan the ones I have and upload to IA (Internet Archive). I have the 1884 edition so it's PD. Let me know.
They are all on Wikipedia commons, but It would be best to get them into one file so they are easy to display in order.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

When I read a book on the fourth dimension, I prepared a pdf file of all the illustrations to go with it. You can see how it was handled, on the catalogue page: https://librivox.org/the-fourth-dimension-by-charles-howard-hinton/

I've no idea how it was handled behind the scenes for cataloging, though.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

That would be the best way to do it. I'll get them downloaded and ordered to a pdf file, ready for the end product.

Also answered another question. My intention is to do all Carroll's books and the maths ones I was struggling to work out how to illustrate. That is obviously the answer.

I love maths!
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/sylvieandbruno_02_carroll_128kb.mp3 15:33

Chapter 2 uploaded.

I've added the poem to chapter 1.

Cheers
linny

Post by linny »

Peter Why wrote: November 5th, 2020, 5:07 am When I read a book on the fourth dimension, I prepared a pdf file of all the illustrations to go with it. You can see how it was handled, on the catalogue page: https://librivox.org/the-fourth-dimension-by-charles-howard-hinton/

I've no idea how it was handled behind the scenes for cataloging, though.

Peter
Peter,
This was actually the project I was thinking about mimicking. I was your DPL. I'll figure out the behind the scenes. :thumbs:
linny

Post by linny »

Craigos wrote: November 5th, 2020, 5:01 am
linny wrote: November 5th, 2020, 4:56 am Sure we can do that. Unless you can find all the illustrations in a single site I can scan the ones I have and upload to IA (Internet Archive). I have the 1884 edition so it's PD. Let me know.
They are all on Wikipedia commons, but It would be best to get them into one file so they are easy to display in order.
Sounds great. It if turns into a project bigger than you anticipated just let me know. I can easily (and fairly quickly) scan the illustrations to pdf from the PD edition I own.