[Complete]The Fiend's Delight - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

adr6090 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 8:36 am Lynett,
New issue here. I am in the midst of editing my audio for section 4. That section actually has 5 smaller sections in it that are seperate from each other. I am not comfortable lumping them all together. I will copy and paste an example below.

"Silently the good wife took that infant into the house and disrobed it; sorrowfully she laid it alongside its little brothers and sister; long and bitterly she wept over the quartette; and then with one tender look at her lord and master, smoking in solemn silence by the fire, and resembling them with all his might, she gathered her shawl about her bowed shoulders and went away into the night. The Discomfited Demon."

The last sentence seems in my mind to be the actual title for the next small section. How do you think this should be dealt with?
I agree it sounds more like a subtitle. Your decision, butithink id use it as the title of the following section.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Lynnet wrote: October 24th, 2020, 12:13 pm
adr6090 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 8:36 am Lynett,
New issue here. I am in the midst of editing my audio for section 4. That section actually has 5 smaller sections in it that are seperate from each other. I am not comfortable lumping them all together. I will copy and paste an example below.

"Silently the good wife took that infant into the house and disrobed it; sorrowfully she laid it alongside its little brothers and sister; long and bitterly she wept over the quartette; and then with one tender look at her lord and master, smoking in solemn silence by the fire, and resembling them with all his might, she gathered her shawl about her bowed shoulders and went away into the night. The Discomfited Demon."

The last sentence seems in my mind to be the actual title for the next small section. How do you think this should be dealt with?
I agree it sounds more like a subtitle. Your decision, butithink id use it as the title of the following section.
I agree so I will listen to my recording of section 04 to know where, time wise, and the name of the "new" sections.
I will get back to you.
April
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi! I got curious so I looked it up.

Here's a scanned version of the book where the separate sections can be seen clearly (at "Full View")
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007593930

And if I haven't missed anything, the full list of titles is:

(Some Fiction)
One More Unfortunate
The Strong Young Man of Colusa
The Glad New Year
The Late Dowling, Senior
Love's Labour Lost
A Comforter
Little Isaac
The Heels of Her
A Tale of Two Feet
The Scolliver Pig
Mr. Hunker's Mourner
A Bit of Chivalry
The Head of the Family
Deathbed Repentance
The New Church that was not Built
A Tale of the Great Quake
Johnny
The Child's Provider
Boys who Began Wrong
A Kansas Incident
Mr. Grile's Girl
His Railway
Mr. Gish Makes a Present
A Cow-County Pleasantry
The Optimist, and What He Died Of
The Root of Education
Retribution
Margaret the Childless
The Discomfited Demon
The Mistake of a Life
L. S.
The Baffled Asian

(Tall Talk)
A Call to Dinner
On Death and Immortality
Music - Muscular and Mechanical
The Good Young Man
The Average Parson
Did We Eat One Another?
Your Friend's Friend
Le Diable est aux Vaches
Angels and Angles
A Wingless Insect
Pork on the Hoof
The Young Person
A Certain Popular Fallacy
Pastoral Journalism
Mendicity's Mistake
Picnicking considered as a Mistake
Thanksgiving Day
Flogging
Reflections upon the Beneficent Influence of the Press
Charity
The Study of Human Nature
Additional Talk - Done in the Country

(Current Journalings)

(Obituary Notices)
Christians
Pagans

(Musings, Philosophical and Theological)

(Laughorisms)

("Items" from the Press of Interior California)

(Poesy)

Ye Idyll of ye Hippopotamus
Epitaph on George Francis Train
Jerusalem, Old and New
Communing with Nature
Conservatism and Progress
Inter Arma Silent Leges
Quintessence
Resurgam
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 25th, 2020, 9:13 am Hi! I got curious so I looked it up.

Here's a scanned version of the book where the separate sections can be seen clearly (at "Full View")
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007593930

And if I haven't missed anything, the full list of titles is:

(Some Fiction)
One More Unfortunate
The Strong Young Man of Colusa
The Glad New Year
The Late Dowling, Senior
Love's Labour Lost
A Comforter
Little Isaac
The Heels of Her
A Tale of Two Feet
The Scolliver Pig
Mr. Hunker's Mourner
A Bit of Chivalry
The Head of the Family
Deathbed Repentance
The New Church that was not Built
A Tale of the Great Quake
Johnny
The Child's Provider
Boys who Began Wrong
A Kansas Incident
Mr. Grile's Girl
His Railway
Mr. Gish Makes a Present
A Cow-County Pleasantry
The Optimist, and What He Died Of
The Root of Education
Retribution
Margaret the Childless
The Discomfited Demon
The Mistake of a Life
L. S.
The Baffled Asian

(Tall Talk)
A Call to Dinner
On Death and Immortality
Music - Muscular and Mechanical
The Good Young Man
The Average Parson
Did We Eat One Another?
Your Friend's Friend
Le Diable est aux Vaches
Angels and Angles
A Wingless Insect
Pork on the Hoof
The Young Person
A Certain Popular Fallacy
Pastoral Journalism
Mendicity's Mistake
Picnicking considered as a Mistake
Thanksgiving Day
Flogging
Reflections upon the Beneficent Influence of the Press
Charity
The Study of Human Nature
Additional Talk - Done in the Country

(Current Journalings)

(Obituary Notices)
Christians
Pagans

(Musings, Philosophical and Theological)

(Laughorisms)

("Items" from the Press of Interior California)

(Poesy)

Ye Idyll of ye Hippopotamus
Epitaph on George Francis Train
Jerusalem, Old and New
Communing with Nature
Conservatism and Progress
Inter Arma Silent Leges
Quintessence
Resurgam
55 of the sections, be them small to large. Looking them up as you did does indeed seem like a fabulous way to go. :hmm:
Has me wondering if that is the text we should use? Also has me wondering if I should record other than just the chosen sections. Possibly Poesy & laughorisms....
I will look over your find & get back to you, thank you for attaching the link.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Lynett and Rapunzelina,
The mw has now changed. I have recorded the sections with wc numbers in them will edit and post them mayhap today. To maintain a semblance of organization I did make the mw changes.
Lynette, please do confirm for me that what I have done is okay with lv? I will not add any additional sections, and there are many, until I see a reply from you. :D
April
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

adr6090 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:44 am Hello Lynett and Rapunzelina,
The mw has now changed. I have recorded the sections with wc numbers in them will edit and post them mayhap today. To maintain a semblance of organization I did make the mw changes.
Lynette, please do confirm for me that what I have done is okay with lv? I will not add any additional sections, and there are many, until I see a reply from you. :D
Are you using the same text source?

Also, remember the notes column disappears at cataloguing, so the subtitles you have put there should really be in the title column unless you want to lose them.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Lynnet wrote: October 28th, 2020, 8:47 am

Also, remember the notes column disappears at cataloguing, so the subtitles you have put there should really be in the title column unless you want to lose them.
Yes, I am using the same text source.
I wasn't quite certain where to put the titles as they are not listed with the other sections as titles. Nonetheless that is where they should go? I can alway put it as:
The Heels of Her; a Tale of Two Feet

That does make sense and then the wc can go in the notes field.

Sound good?
April
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

adr6090 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:09 am I wasn't quite certain where to put the titles as they are not listed with the other sections as titles. Nonetheless that is where they should go? I can alway put it as:

Sound good?
What I think happened is that the Gutenberg text has a wrong formatting (meaning, I think "the heels of her" is just a subtitle like the rest of them, and not the main title, which for that section is "Some Fiction"). I linked to the scanned book, because it shows clearly the separate short stories. The text is the same. In gutenberg, the titles show in the same font as the rest of the text, so you can't tell the stories apart. But all the title are still there. I think it's worth contacting Gutenberg to fix the text formatting. Then all separate stories will be clearly viewed. What do you think?
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 28th, 2020, 11:31 am
adr6090 wrote: October 28th, 2020, 9:09 am I wasn't quite certain where to put the titles as they are not listed with the other sections as titles. Nonetheless that is where they should go? I can alway put it as:

Sound good?
What I think happened is that the Gutenberg text has a wrong formatting (meaning, I think "the heels of her" is just a subtitle like the rest of them, and not the main title, which for that section is "Some Fiction"). I linked to the scanned book, because it shows clearly the separate short stories. The text is the same. In gutenberg, the titles show in the same font as the rest of the text, so you can't tell the stories apart. But all the title are still there. I think it's worth contacting Gutenberg to fix the text formatting. Then all separate stories will be clearly viewed. What do you think?
Possibly. Though since there is a section in Guttenberg with the title of "the heels of her" the thought is ponderable I suppose. All sub titles to "Some Fiction" you suggest, hmmm I do suppose it is possible. More research I think, prior to contacting Guttenberg.
April
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sorry for jumping the gun, after I wrote the post above, I decided to send an errata report to gutenberg. My reasoning was that they are in a better position to judge what is correct or not, so if they respond, we'll know how to proceed with the text. Either as is, or with any new changes they might implement on the section division.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 28th, 2020, 1:29 pm Sorry for jumping the gun, after I wrote the post above, I decided to send an errata report to gutenberg. My reasoning was that they are in a better position to judge what is correct or not, so if they respond, we'll know how to proceed with the text. Either as is, or with any new changes they might implement on the section division.
You are quite correct in sending them the report as they are in the best position to determine how to proceed with the text. You did not jump the gun, in my opinion. We will wait to see just what their decision will be.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Lynett,
I did just begin doing as you had mentioned and cutting the titles from the notes column and putting them in the title column. Though that did bring to my mind the fact that the scanned pages that Rapunzelina posted has an additional section, tall tales, that Guttenberg does not show. :hmm:

I had already decided to stay with Guttenberg as that was my first choice. Should I switch to the Hathi Trust sight and read the additional section?
Please do give me your opinion Lynett.
Thank you,
April
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

adr6090 wrote: October 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Lynett,
I did just begin doing as you had mentioned and cutting the titles from the notes column and putting them in the title column. Though that did bring to my mind the fact that the scanned pages that Rapunzelina posted has an additional section, tall tales, that Guttenberg does not show. :hmm:

I had already decided to stay with Guttenberg as that was my first choice. Should I switch to the Hathi Trust sight and read the additional section?
Please do give me your opinion Lynett.
Thank you,
April
I think it’s your decision. If you want a complete version, it sounds like you’ll need to go with Hathi. But if you decide to stick with Gutenberg, you’ll have to skip the extra section. I think I would probably go with Hathi, but it is usually more difficult to read.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

If you mean "Tall Talk" it is still in the gutenberg text. As far as I can tell, the text is all the same, it's just the formatting that's different.
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Rapunzelina wrote: October 29th, 2020, 5:50 pm If you mean "Tall Talk" it is still in the gutenberg text. As far as I can tell, the text is all the same, it's just the formatting that's different.
I thought I had looked and did not see tall talk in the Guttenberg text. :hmm: I will look again later today. I do not wish to read part of the book as I intended, and still do, to read the whole book.
April