[COMPLETE] The sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians by John Calvin - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians by John Calvin (1509 - 1564). Translated by Arthur Golding (1536 - 1606)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-sermons-upon-the-epistle-of-saint-paul-to-the-ephesians-by-john-calvin/

While many of Calvin's sermons are now lost after they were sold by weight by the library of Geneva, his sermons on Ephesians have been preserved, having been translated into Early Modern English by Arthur Golding (who also translated Calvin's sermons on Galatians, Job and Deuteronomy). Arthur Golding's claim to fame is that his translation of <a href="https://librivox.org/author/4959">Ovid's</a> Metamorphoses influenced <a href="https://librivox.org/author/37">Shakespeare</a>.

A comparison with <a href="https://librivox.org/commentary-on-the-epistle-of-paul-the-apostle-to-the-ephesians-by-john-calvin/">Calvin's commentary on the same letter</a> shows that Calvin saw preaching as no mere explanation of the text - the sermons work consecutively through the text but circle round on the point many time with brief illustration and continuous application to the hearers. The sermons on Ephesians were preached in French on Sundays morning and evening in Geneva in 1558 and were taken down in shorthand by Denis Raguenier, who had started taking his own notes on Calvin's sermons and was eventually employed to perform the task and did so until his death. Calvin preached without notes.

Calvin's aim was always to bring about faith in his hearers by which he means them comprehending their own helplessness and the kindness of God in Jesus Christ. An example of this from sermon 14 illustrates Calvin's goal and style:
Thus ye see that the thing which we haue to do continually, is too show that God hath been so kind unto us, as too be at one with us in the person of his Son, yea and to receive us to himself, that we might be washed and scoured from all our filthiness, and be accepted for righteous before him. Lo! how wretched souls are unbound. Lo! how poor captives are let out of prison. Lo! how they that erst were plunged in darkness of death are brought out again to the light of life.

(InTheDesert)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A17705.0001.001/1:5?rgn=div1;view=toc
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): wordperfect

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Sermon [number] of The sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians, by John Calvin. Translated by Arthur Golding. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Sermon [number] of The sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians by John Calvin. Translated by Arthur Golding. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Sermon]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The sermons upon the Epistle of Saint Paul to the Ephesians, by John Calvin. Translated by Arthur Golding."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename sermonsonephesians_##_calvin_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. sermonsonephesians_01_calvin_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by InTheDesert on August 20th, 2021, 12:48 am, edited 8 times in total.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Some comments:

This task may be beyond me but I'm going to try. I did a test recording on one chapter to see what recording using the old spellings is like - the answer is that it's difficult but not impossible. The practical outcome is that this will be slow going with long editing. The advantage is that it is true 'acoustical liberation' - I doubt that people dare to read the PD version of this text and few people will buy the edited and modernised edition and in either case, there is no audio version of it available for purchase, which is a shame for sermons.

I've requested PL where someone follows along using the text - I know that's a big ask but I honestly don't trust myself: When I read the following sentence (for it cannot bee but that theruppon wee must needes bee moued and inflamed too blisse Gods name), I thought it was the word 'moued' (google it) but then my wife pointed out that it was obviously 'moved'. If this all goes pear-shaped, your work won't be lost - the workable tracks will go into the short non-fiction collection.

For my own reasons, I will begin with the later sermons (beginning around the end of chapter 3 and then circle back to the start.

Where there are gaps in the text, I will refer to: https://books.google.com/books?id=FJB0pzBWGSoC
Last edited by InTheDesert on August 17th, 2021, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I'll give this serious consideration. I've so enjoyed the two books I've proof listened for you.
My plate is pretty full and this would be a huge time commitment. And I know I will be needing to put in overtime hours for our company as the Christmas season approaches. It looks as if each of these sermons would run 40 - 50 minutes. How did your test recording come out?
Truth is I haven't read much of Calvin, being of a different theological camp. So, I'm sure I would find much of interest and benefit here.
So, I'll stay in the wings for a bit. There may be someone more eager than I.

Wonder if you might consider dividing the project into two or more parts?
I'm thinking primarily of the listeners who might find that more convenient.
Not that we can't have a 40-50 hour project. Just a thought.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: October 7th, 2020, 8:48 pm Well, I'll give this serious consideration. I've so enjoyed the two books I've proof listened for you.
My plate is pretty full and this would be a huge time commitment. And I know I will be needing to put in overtime hours for our company as the Christmas season approaches. It looks as if each of these sermons would run 40 - 50 minutes. How did your test recording come out?
Truth is I haven't read much of Calvin, being of a different theological camp. So, I'm sure I would find much of interest and benefit here.
So, I'll stay in the wings for a bit. There may be someone more eager than I.

Wonder if you might consider dividing the project into two or more parts?
I'm thinking primarily of the listeners who might find that more convenient.
Not that we can't have a 40-50 hour project. Just a thought.
Thanks Larry - I've appreciated working with you. I'm thinking of this as a long slow project - potentially taking up all of 2021 by the time it's finished. I'll have some shorter things on the go at the same time which may interest you more - I'll launch one of them in a moment!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

One thing I'd suggest is setting this up with "Special" PL rather than "word perfect". Then specify what you want: something like "follow along with the text and help me be sure I'm using the right words due to the archaic spellings".
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

InTheDesert wrote: October 8th, 2020, 3:06 am
Thanks Larry - I've appreciated working with you. I'm thinking of this as a long slow project - potentially taking up all of 2021 by the time it's finished. I'll have some shorter things on the go at the same time which may interest you more - I'll launch one of them in a moment!
That sounds reasonable. About a chapter a week or so is something I think I can handle. I'd rather devote some extra time to a project like this than other choices. So, I'll be glad to come on board with you.
~ Larry
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okie dokie - I've put you in, then. And since you both understand what is required for PL, we don't have to worry about clarifying it in the first post. :)

Moving this to Going Solo!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: October 8th, 2020, 11:16 am Okie dokie - I've put you in, then. And since you both understand what is required for PL, we don't have to worry about clarifying it in the first post. :)

Moving this to Going Solo!
Thanks Tricia! (Also quoting you because you might be in a good position to answer some of the questions below).

And we're off with sermon 21.

A bunch of comments:

First, I think that each one will be in the 40 minute range.
Second, I read almost all the words in a modern pronunciation of the archaic words (so I say "behooveth" etc.). I was surprised how comprehensible it is for a modern English speaker and actually how fast one can learn to read the old spellings. I keep thinking that the phraseology comes from Calvin but then need to remind myself that it is actually from Arthur Golding the translator (who interestingly influenced Shakespeare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Golding).
Third, there were three somewhat common words that I had to decide how to pronounce because they are words that have dropped out of English. They are "vre" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ure#Noun) which I chose to pronounce "use", "wote" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wot#Etymology_1) which I chose to pronounce "know" and "eft" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/eft#Etymology_2) which I chose to pronounce "after". I can see how this could be considered changing the text and I would love advice on this matter. My preference is to keep all the archaic but still comprehensible words but to update these handful (and I imagine there will be a handful more in the future). Does that contravene LV policy?
Fourth, in the intro and outro, I referred to 'sermon 21' which is not section 21 but section 23 (because of two items of preface). Is that the correct approach or should I say "section 23"?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Last question first:
Fourth, in the intro and outro, I referred to 'sermon 21' which is not section 21 but section 23 (because of two items of preface). Is that the correct approach or should I say "section 23"?
The purpose of labeling a section as "Section Zero" is to try to keep the chapter and section numbers in line. Since you have two sections of prefatory material, it still isn't in line.

Are the Greeting and Argument such that you could combine them into one section? Then your section and sermon numbers would line up. Or we could just start this at section number 1, so the numbers are 2 off. :lol:

In any case, it's your choice whether you say "Section [number]" or "Sermon [number]" as long as you're consistent throughout, and in the outro as well as the intro.

Regarding changing the wording: ummm... I lean towards not changing the archaic words, because it's the start down the slippery slope. (The N word is "archaic" now, too, but we don't allow it to be changed.) Using modern pronunciation is fine, because you're not changing the word. (I have that a lot in my Psalms of David project.)

I was thinking of asking the other admins about the word changes, but I'm pretty sure they'd say to not change them.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:31 am The purpose of labeling a section as "Section Zero" is to try to keep the chapter and section numbers in line. Since you have two sections of prefatory material, it still isn't in line.

Are the Greeting and Argument such that you could combine them into one section? Then your section and sermon numbers would line up. Or we could just start this at section number 1, so the numbers are 2 off. :lol:

In any case, it's your choice whether you say "Section [number]" or "Sermon [number]" as long as you're consistent throughout, and in the outro as well as the intro.

Regarding changing the wording: ummm... I lean towards not changing the archaic words, because it's the start down the slippery slope. (The N word is "archaic" now, too, but we don't allow it to be changed.) Using modern pronunciation is fine, because you're not changing the word. (I have that a lot in my Psalms of David project.)

I was thinking of asking the other admins about the word changes, but I'm pretty sure they'd say to not change them.
Very helpful. I'll try to merge the argument and greeting. Is there any way to automatically shuffle the section titles down?

The pronunciation is trickier because of the research required if I am to stick to the words as written. Let me give a few more questions of conscience and you can tell me what you think. These were all ones where I made the decision on the fly rather than thinking about it for a while like I did the other three words.

"cace" - I read this as "case", though it might not be - it seems to work in context and google hasn't helped me with what the word is.
"sauation" - I read this as "salvation", not "savation" - is the a pronunciation change or a word change?
"dooth" - I read "doth".
"meane" - I read "means" (It is trew, that wee cannot yeeld God thankes but by that meane: for it is certeyne that wee should no...)
"vnpossible" - I read "impossible"
"sith " - I read "since" (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sith#Etymology_2)

These are just a few examples and I imagine many more will crop up. I may be discovering that I have bitten off more than I can chew But that was always a possible scenario with a project like this.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Very helpful. I'll try to merge the argument and greeting. Is there any way to automatically shuffle the section titles down?
You can drag and drop. Or I can, if you don't want to. :)

The other word choices/pronunciations are all OK, IMHO. :) It's not changing the word entirely, but massaging it into common pronunciation and usage.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Sermon 21

Excellent reading as always, and a masterful job of deciphering the text. I like to complain a lot about English spelling, but this gives a whole new perspective! My favorite was. "sis*le" I think you got it right as "silly." The overall result is a very smooth reading giving the listener no clue to the underlying difficulties of the text.

I'll give just two minor notes which are entirely up to you to change or let stand.

5:27 Text: “ heritaunce” - I hear this as “heritage” but maybe it should be more like “heritance” but I don’t think it changes the meaning.
7:36 Text: “dubble accursed” I hear “double accused” slight difference in meaning.

Congratulations on a great beginning!
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: October 10th, 2020, 6:31 am Last question first:
The purpose of labeling a section as "Section Zero" is to try to keep the chapter and section numbers in line. Since you have two sections of prefatory material, it still isn't in line.

Hi Tricia,

I've thought about what you said. Could 'ure' become 'use' and 'eft' become 'after' because they are related words? I can accept reading 'wot' as is because I see how it's changing it to a totally different word - the listener will have to do at least some of the work!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I posted the query for the other admins' input. The general consensus is along these lines:

"Things like moued -> moved is okay because that's archaic spelling, but the other words, no."

It would be changing the words, and we read the words as written. In a way, it stinks that the translation is so old as to have these old words, but that's the nature of recording old books. :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: October 15th, 2020, 10:51 am Sermon 21

Excellent reading as always, and a masterful job of deciphering the text. I like to complain a lot about English spelling, but this gives a whole new perspective! My favorite was. "sis*le" I think you got it right as "silly." The overall result is a very smooth reading giving the listener no clue to the underlying difficulties of the text.

I'll give just two minor notes which are entirely up to you to change or let stand.

5:27 Text: “ heritaunce” - I hear this as “heritage” but maybe it should be more like “heritance” but I don’t think it changes the meaning.
7:36 Text: “dubble accursed” I hear “double accused” slight difference in meaning.

Congratulations on a great beginning!
Thanks Larry. I have remedied both (which you might have to take on faith because the timestamps have changed when I fixed the other things (see the rest of the thread).

Sermon 28 is up.

Reading is getting easier each time - interesting how your brain adapts the more you do something.