[COMPLETE]The Marquis of Lossie, MacDonald-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The Marquis of Lossie by George MacDonald (1824 - 1905).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-marquis-of-lossie-by-george-macdonald/
This book is the sequel to Malcolm.

Having now learned the truth of his own parentage, and some important facts regarding the birth of his late master's daughter, Florimel, Malcolm MacPhail is faced with the difficult question of what to do with his knowledge. Armed with that knowledge, and with the commission the late Marquis gave him to care for Florimel, Malcolm makes his way to London to await his opportunity of serving her in the best way he can. (Devorah Allen)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.l0061272050
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Romance; Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: scotland

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Marquis of Lossie. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Marquis of Lossie, by George MacDonald. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Marquis of Lossie by George MacDonald. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Marquis of Lossie, by George MacDonald. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename marquisoflossie_##_macdonald_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. marquisoflossie_01_macdonald_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: George MacDonald
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Marquis of Lossie

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

DPL for this is HannahMary. Thanks Hannah!

Hannah, you probably know this story much better than I do. I've only read it once, and it was many years ago. I don't think I even remember enough to fill in the book summary, except for what we know from the first book. And I'm hesitant to say too much there. I'd hate to give a spoiler for Malcolm to someone who's never read either. But I don't know how I can avoid giving a Malcolm spoiler and still manage to convey the premise of this book. :hmm: I'll continue thinking about it as we go through. Let me know if you have any thoughts on that.

As soon as you check in here, I'll move us to Going Solo. :)
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: October 6th, 2020, 9:11 pm DPL for this is HannahMary. Thanks Hannah!

Hannah, you probably know this story much better than I do. I've only read it once, and it was many years ago. I don't think I even remember enough to fill in the book summary, except for what we know from the first book. And I'm hesitant to say too much there. I'd hate to give a spoiler for Malcolm to someone who's never read either. But I don't know how I can avoid giving a Malcolm spoiler and still manage to convey the premise of this book. :hmm: I'll continue thinking about it as we go through. Let me know if you have any thoughts on that.

As soon as you check in here, I'll move us to Going Solo. :)
DPL checking in! Yay!!

I have read the abridged version more than once but will have to think over your question...
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yay! Off to Going Solo. :D

I've been thinking about Malcolm all day at work today, honestly. Maybe I can ride this wave of momentum a little bit longer. 8-)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

First two chapters are up! :D
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: October 11th, 2020, 9:15 pm First two chapters are up! :D
So exciting! It's great to spend time with the Marquis!

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Finally had a chance to get back to our Marquis. The last few weeks have been busy, and most of the LV time I have had has been taken up in PLing. :lol:

Chapter 3 is ready!
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: November 7th, 2020, 8:00 pm Finally had a chance to get back to our Marquis. The last few weeks have been busy, and most of the LV time I have had has been taken up in PLing. :lol:

Chapter 3 is ready!
Yay!
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And chapter 4. Hopefully I can now be back on track with two chapters a week.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: November 8th, 2020, 6:07 pm And chapter 4. Hopefully I can now be back on track with two chapters a week.
3 and 4 are PL OK! Good to be back!
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapters 5 and 6 are up. Lots of very short chapters to start us out, so I may do one or two more tonight.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

And 7 and 8. No rush.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

mightyfelix wrote: November 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm And 7 and 8. No rush.
:thumbs:
~ Hannah
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Chapters 5-8 are PL OK. Makes me want to get sailing again! But our lakes will soon be frozen if we keep on with these nights below 10 degrees.
~ Hannah
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Yikes! I don't do well in cold weather. It's been in the 30s the last couple of mornings, and that's about my limit.