[SOLO] Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant by Guy de Maupassant - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
tac107

Post by tac107 » October 6th, 2020, 10:10 am

Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant by Guy de Maupassant (1850 - 1893). Translated by Albert M. C. McMaster ( - ) and others

Guy de Maupassant was, and is to this day, one of the world's most celebrated short story writers. He famously tackled topics like the Franco-Prussian War and the disillusionment of life and relationships. This collection of his works, containing famous stories like "Boule de Suif" and "The Diamond Necklace" show off his lyrical and engaging style. The book is written in accessible language without being simple and is sure to delight a modern audience. ( Tatiana Chichilla )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3090
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant. Translated by Albert M. C. McMaster, A. E. Henderson, and Louise Quesada. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant. Translated by Albert M. C. McMaster, A. E. Henderson, and Louise Quesada. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Complete Original Short Stories of Guy De Maupassant. Translated by Albert M. C. McMaster, A. E. Henderson, and Louise Quesada."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename shortstoriesofmaupassant_###_maupassant_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. shortstoriesofmaupassant_010_maupassant_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by tac107 on October 6th, 2020, 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tatiana

Thinking about returning to the Great Smoky Mountains :9:

Help us finish Vietnam: The Advisory Years to 1965 and The Book of Jubilees!

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 6th, 2020, 10:13 am

Am I allowed to change the auto-generated file name, just because it's really long?
Tatiana

miss stav

Post by miss stav » October 6th, 2020, 12:26 pm

If you have no other dpl in mind, I would be happy to volunteer.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 6th, 2020, 12:46 pm

miss stav wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 12:26 pm
If you have no other dpl in mind, I would be happy to volunteer.
I didn't have anyone in mind! Thanks for offering to help me with this undertaking.
Tatiana

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 6th, 2020, 1:00 pm

tac107 wrote:
October 6th, 2020, 10:13 am
Am I allowed to change the auto-generated file name, just because it's really long?
Yes, as long as you keep the same format (title_section#_authorsurname_128kb). :)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 7th, 2020, 7:00 am

This is ambitious! 8-)

It's also set up. :) I've made a couple changes to the template, most notably changing "chapter" to "section" in the intro, and removing Maupassant's double name in them. (Since the title is essentially "the stories of Maupassant", there's not really a reason to say "by Maupassant".)

I'd suggest leaving out the translator names in the intro for the 2nd and subsequent sections. We've got them in the database entry, and it would be cumbersome to say all 3 names on every single file. I suggest saying them all in the first intro and then again in the "end of book" outro, and that's it.

Ummm... any questions?

Oh - you'll need a 3-digit section number in your files, since this goes over 100 sections. I'll go edit your first post to reflect that...

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 7th, 2020, 7:08 am

TriciaG wrote:
October 7th, 2020, 7:00 am
This is ambitious! 8-)

It's also set up. :) I've made a couple changes to the template, most notably changing "chapter" to "section" in the intro, and removing Maupassant's double name in them. (Since the title is essentially "the stories of Maupassant", there's not really a reason to say "by Maupassant".)

I'd suggest leaving out the translator names in the intro for the 2nd and subsequent sections. We've got them in the database entry, and it would be cumbersome to say all 3 names on every single file. I suggest saying them all in the first intro and then again in the "end of book" outro, and that's it.

Ummm... any questions?

Oh - you'll need a 3-digit section number in your files, since this goes over 100 sections. I'll go edit your first post to reflect that...
Thanks for helping me to get that set up. No questions at the moment!
Tatiana

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 7th, 2020, 7:50 am

Sections 0, 1, 2, 3 and 5 posted for PL
Tatiana

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » October 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Moving this to Going Solo...

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 8th, 2020, 10:30 am

Section 4 posted for PL
Tatiana

miss stav

Post by miss stav » October 8th, 2020, 11:12 am

Great. I see your sections. I usualy listen during weekends so I would probably listen tomorrow.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 9th, 2020, 10:30 am

Sections 6, 7, and 9 are ready for PL
Tatiana

miss stav

Post by miss stav » October 9th, 2020, 11:59 am

Hi, I listened to section 0. It seems that you record from two completely different place.. For example, please take the sentences before the end and then compare to "end of section 0". As a listener, I find this distracting. Even though it is not a part of my pl job. The reading is clear from both olaces. But I was distracted and found it hard to consentrate. Do you record from two places? If not, is it from two different microphones? If not what do you think is the cause of the problem?

tac107

Post by tac107 » October 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm

miss stav wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 11:59 am
Hi, I listened to section 0. It seems that you record from two completely different place.. For example, please take the sentences before the end and then compare to "end of section 0". As a listener, I find this distracting. Even though it is not a part of my pl job. The reading is clear from both olaces. But I was distracted and found it hard to consentrate. Do you record from two places? If not, is it from two different microphones? If not what do you think is the cause of the problem?
I had to edit the "end of" at the end when it was changed from chapters to sections, and I adjusted what I said at the beginning as well. This was for 0, 1 and 3 I think. They are done in the same room on the same microphone. As to what is causing it, I know from personal experience that when you go back and edit it never sounds exactly the same both times even if you do hold everything constant.
Tatiana

miss stav

Post by miss stav » October 9th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Sections 1-4 are great. What sad stories he writes... Please listen again to section 0, I am sure there is some way to fix the problem.