COMPLETE - [SOLO] Letters of Oscar Wilde, Volume 5 (1898-1900) -lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

I have re-uploaded those files and it seems to be OK now. It all seemed to upload fine last week, but of course I didn't check every link.
Rob Marland reader section | website
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Section 65-
1:38 I would, read it would
3:53 there is a slight background noise (if you feel like it can be deleted without much effort, please do it, otherwise it is unnecessary)
Also I think there is 6 seconds of silence at the end (4:56 to 5:02)
linny

Post by linny »

RobMarland wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:33 am I have re-uploaded those files and it seems to be OK now. It all seemed to upload fine last week, but of course I didn't check every link.
They are now if my file and all of 6 have been deleted. We are now caught up. :9:
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Section 50-
1:02 I also thought it odd, read and also thought it odd

Section 59
0:36 repeat ( I have to thank you for sending me my allowance now due.)
0:51 the word drawings is unclear

Section 60-
0:42 you said christmas, it is Xmas (I'll let you decide if you should still say Christmas)

Section 61-
1:11 repeat- I am apparently is much the same state as yourself

Section 63-
1:17- intelligences is mispronounced (I checked online to confirm and it seems that the word is pronounced the same was as intelligence but with the plural ‘s’ added at the ended) The same is in the nest section but it is upto you if you feel like correcting it
5:10- the first white in ‘a white soul robed in white’ is unclear
Last edited by shreyasethi on September 19th, 2020, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Hello!!!
Here are some of the sections that need a bit of editing. Minor mistakes really.
Section 73- You forgot to say 16 pounds
Section 75- 0:28 could you send me, read could you lend me
Section 77- there is 6 seconds of silence at the end (1:43 to 1:49)

As always, your reading is fabulous, I love it! GREAT WORK :clap: :clap: :clap: :9: :9: :9:
-SS
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Section 32-
7:10- and to try to write, read and try to write
10:07- there is a clunk sort of sound in the background (do excuse my absurd way of describing the disruption)
(Sidenote: In section 34, you said Christmas instead of Xmas, it is not a big deal at all, so I thought I’d mention it if you felt that it needed to be changed.)
Section 37-
0:18- when it is to appear, read when is it to appear
Section 38-
Around 3:50, there is a pop sort of sound, the word idling becomes unclear because of it
Section 39-
Around 0:36, there is a pop sound in the background
Section 47-
0:42 is to see what my, read is see what my
Section 48-
0:32 repeat Grand Café… printed heading
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Hi!
I've PL-ed most of the sections in this project but I cannot open the text links for the Babel Hathi Trust because every time I open them the following message is displayed-
This item is not available online ( Limited - search only) due to copyright restrictions.

Is there some other way to open the text? Do let me know.

Thanks
-SS
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:23 pm Hi!
I've PL-ed most of the sections in this project but I cannot open the text links for the Babel Hathi Trust because every time I open them the following message is displayed-
This item is not available online ( Limited - search only) due to copyright restrictions.

Thanks
-SS
Hi Shreya,

Unfortunately, most of the texts on Hathi are only viewable from the US. If you can't see them, it is OK to just listen along. I have tried to find versions of texts in other places, like Archive, that everyone can view, but that was not always possible.
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

RobMarland wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:53 pm
shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:23 pm Hi!

Thanks
-SS
Hi Shreya,

Unfortunately, most of the texts on Hathi are only viewable from the US. If you can't see them, it is OK to just listen along. I have tried to find versions of texts in other places, like Archive, that everyone can view, but that was not always possible.
Thank you so much for letting me know. I'll do just that then. I'll see though if I can get a physical copy of the book (I'm very sure I will) and if I do, I'll just use that for reference.
-SS
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Section 23-
0:51 when I am confined read while I am confined
1:48- there is a noise in the background
5:34- clicking noise in the background
14:27- she apparently thought, read he apparently thought

8-
0:51 the word put sounds like pat

Section 29-
0:04 you say 27th June 1898 but the letter is dated August 16
0:42 and 2:05- slight clicking sound in the background

Section 41-
0:34 as you see from above, read as you can see from above
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Hi
Section 25 is perfect. There is just one minor issue. At 0:54 there is a sound in the background. It's like a drop. Please edit that out and it'll be good to go. This was also the last section that needed prooflistening so I'll start with the 4th volume tomorrow or the day after for sure.
Thanks and have a good day
-SS
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

OK, thanks Shreya.

I will get to work on fixing these now. I have also found another letter that can go into this collection, but I will wait until everything is spot-PLed OK before recording and uploading it. Otherwise the section numbers will change while we are still working, which would make it more difficult to keep track of things.
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

RobMarland wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 6:23 am OK, thanks Shreya.

I will get to work on fixing these now. I have also found another letter that can go into this collection, but I will wait until everything is spot-PLed OK before recording and uploading it. Otherwise the section numbers will change while we are still working, which would make it more difficult to keep track of things.
That sounds grand. Have fun (as much as you can redoing seconds of the whole)
-SS
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

OK, here are my fixes:
shreyasethi wrote: September 18th, 2020, 10:33 pm Section 66- 0:48- you said am instead of I am

Section 68-0:25- I wasn’t sure if “XX Write to Paris” where the xx stand probably for kisses (You didn’t speak xx) is supposed to said before Rome, 1900 which is how it is written in the letter. I’ll leave it up to you to decide the order.

Section 6- 2:29- You said at the Café de la Paix, it is in the Café de la Paix (PS whom do you think ‘him’ refers to here?)
66 - This is still grammatically correct and the meaning is the same, so I have left it as it is and marked PL OK.

68 - I have never seen Wilde use X for kisses in any letter, otherwise I would agree with you. I wondered if the Xs were meant to indicate something had been crossed out, or were just emphasis marks of some kind (that Wilde had placed there to draw attention to the text). Anyway, I thought it would be confusing to read, so left it out. I have just marked this as PL OK.

6 - This should be section 69. Another error that doesn't change the meaning, so I have left it and marked as PL OK. I have a copy of the complete letters so I can see that the blank 'him' is Lord Alfred Douglas.

shreyasethi wrote: September 18th, 2020, 10:48 pm Also in Section 71- 0:10 repeat: This librivox recording is in the public domain
Thanks. Corrected. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_71_wilde_128kb.mp3

shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:34 am Section 65-
1:38 I would, read it would
3:53 there is a slight background noise (if you feel like it can be deleted without much effort, please do it, otherwise it is unnecessary)
Also I think there is 6 seconds of silence at the end (4:56 to 5:02)
Both errors fixed. The silence is 5 seconds. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_65_wilde_128kb.mp3

shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 7:40 am Section 50-
1:02 I also thought it odd, read and also thought it odd

Section 59
0:36 repeat ( I have to thank you for sending me my allowance now due.)
0:51 the word drawings is unclear

Section 60-
0:42 you said christmas, it is Xmas (I'll let you decide if you should still say Christmas)

Section 61-
1:11 repeat- I am apparently is much the same state as yourself

Section 63-
1:17- intelligences is mispronounced (I checked online to confirm and it seems that the word is pronounced the same was as intelligence but with the plural ‘s’ added at the ended) The same is in the nest section but it is upto you if you feel like correcting it
5:10- the first white in ‘a white soul robed in white’ is unclear
50 - I decided that the meaning was the same, so have marked this PL OK.

59 - Repeat deleted. I couldn't see how I would improve my reading of 'drawings' as it sounds clear to me, so I have left it. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_59_wilde_128kb.mp3

60 - I have no idea whether Wilde would have pronounced the X, but I would always say 'Christmas' even if written 'Xmas' so have marked this as PL OK.

61 - Thanks, repeat deleted. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_61_wilde_128kb.mp3

63 - I am not sure what you mean by 'intelligences'. At first I assumed it must have been a French word, as my French pronunciation is rarely accurate and I sometimes fail to guess properly when a terminal 's' should be pronounced, but I looked at the source text and the word appears in an English sentence. Pronunciation varies by region, so there may be other ways of saying this, I have pronounced the word as I would expect to hear it in England. The same for the first 'white' you mention: I pronounce it 'hwite', but this is an accepted pronunciation consistent with the accent I am attempting. So I have marked this section PL OK.

shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 9:37 pm Section 73- You forgot to say 16 pounds
Section 75- 0:28 could you send me, read could you lend me
Section 77- there is 6 seconds of silence at the end (1:43 to 1:49)
Thanks, all fixed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_73_wilde_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_75_wilde_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_77_wilde_128kb.mp3

shreyasethi wrote: September 19th, 2020, 11:12 pm Section 32-
7:10- and to try to write, read and try to write
10:07- there is a clunk sort of sound in the background (do excuse my absurd way of describing the disruption)
(Sidenote: In section 34, you said Christmas instead of Xmas, it is not a big deal at all, so I thought I’d mention it if you felt that it needed to be changed.)

Section 37-
0:18- when it is to appear, read when is it to appear

Section 38-
Around 3:50, there is a pop sort of sound, the word idling becomes unclear because of it

Section 39-
Around 0:36, there is a pop sound in the background

Section 47-
0:42 is to see what my, read is see what my

Section 48-
0:32 repeat Grand Café… printed heading
32 - My first error doesn't change the meaning, so I have left it. I have fixed the second thing you mention. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_32_wilde_128kb.mp3

37 - My error doesn't change the meaning so much here that I think it needs fixing, so I have marked as PL OK.

38 - fixed https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_38_wilde_128kb.mp3

39 - I couldn't hear anything, so have marked as PL OK.

47 - meaning unchanged by the omission of 'to', so have marked PL OK.

48 - thanks, fixed https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_48_wilde_128kb.mp3

shreyasethi wrote: September 20th, 2020, 10:05 pm Section 23-
0:51 when I am confined read while I am confined
1:48- there is a noise in the background
5:34- clicking noise in the background
14:27- she apparently thought, read he apparently thought

8-
0:51 the word put sounds like pat

Section 29-
0:04 you say 27th June 1898 but the letter is dated August 16
0:42 and 2:05- slight clicking sound in the background

Section 41-
0:34 as you see from above, read as you can see from above
23 - 'when' vs 'while doesn't change the meaning here, so I have not changed this. I have edited out the two instances of noise you mention, and replaced 'he' with 'she' at 14:27
https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_23_wilde_128kb.mp3

'8' - This should be section 28. I have marked as PL OK because in the south of the UK 'put' often sounds like 'pat'.

29 - Thanks for spotting the date error. I have fixed the recording and the title in the MW. Pops fixed. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_29_wilde_128kb.mp3

41 - My error in adding 'can' to this sentence doesn't change the meaning, so I have marked as PL OK.

shreyasethi wrote: September 22nd, 2020, 5:01 am Section 25 is perfect. There is just one minor issue. At 0:54 there is a sound in the background. It's like a drop.
Fixed. https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/letters5_25_wilde_128kb.mp3
linny

Post by linny »

Please keep in mind that Standard PL is limited to the following:

Standard Proof-listening
-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
-- Are there any repeats, or serious stumbles that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
-- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there about 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file?