SOLO Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 9th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898).

This is a compilation of the poems in Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. As noted in the title, the poems are transformed into song, with sheet music included in the book. Music is by Lucy E. Broadwood. In addition to the text and sheet music, a digital version of the music in "midi" format is available from the Gutenberg site for the book. For the librivox recording, the poems will be read. ( Evan Smith)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36308
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, by Lewis Carroll. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Songs From Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, by Lewis Carroll. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename songs_##_carroll_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. songs_01_carroll_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 9th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Julian Pratley, who assisted me with my last project, has agreed to be the DPL for this.

Evan

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm

This is set up. Some notes:

I've changed the intro wording to "section" rather than "chapter". I've also greatly shortened the suggested file name. You can change both of these as you see fit. :)

(Man - I was hoping you were going to sing these!) :lol:
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 11th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Thanks Tricia. The shorter file name is fine - much easier. I'll add the section names in the MW later this evening.

And trust me. You wouldn't want me to sing. :)

Evan

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 12th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Moved to Going Solo. :)

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 13th, 2020, 6:32 am

Tricia:

I've been reading over the poems and I now realize that some are very short - several are only four lines. I think it would be odd, and probably not the norm, to have a separate section and include the standard intro with the book title, disclaimer, etc. and a closing for such short recordings.

The book is divided into two parts, one for "Alice in Wonderland" with 9 poems (about 1000 words) and one for "Through the Looking-Glass" with 10 (about 2000 words). That length would seem fine to divide it into two sections, but is there some way to list the individual poems? Can a section title have a list of subsections? I tried searching the wiki but couldn't find anything that covered this. If there is something on this topic, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Evan

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » September 13th, 2020, 2:17 pm

The second-and-subsequent section intro for solos is shorter than the standard, long form one for group projects. I saw that the poems were short, but figured the short intro would be fine for those.

If you want, you could group them as you said, but there isn't a way to list individual poem/chapter titles when they're grouped together. Well, you could list them all in the section title, but it will all run together. (Different type of project, but they would run together like this: https://librivox.org/narrative-of-my-captivity-by-fanny-kelly/ ) Or you could simply name the sections "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" or similar.

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm

Based on that feedback, I'll keep the poems as separate files.

I've uploaded sections 1 and 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/songs_01_carroll_128kb.mp3
duration 00:52

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/songs_02_carroll_128kb.mp3
duration 01:57

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » September 26th, 2020, 4:17 am

Alice in Wonderland is just the best! First two sections are PL OK :D
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » September 30th, 2020, 12:56 pm

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » October 3rd, 2020, 3:47 pm

“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » October 14th, 2020, 12:48 pm

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » October 17th, 2020, 12:49 am

Both PL OK :)

ewsmith

Post by ewsmith » October 21st, 2020, 1:18 pm

I have uploaded three more:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/songs_09_carroll_128kb.mp3
duration 01:21

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/songs_11_carroll_128kb.mp3
duration 00:42

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/songs_12_carroll_128kb.mp3
duration 04:30

I've skipped #10 for now. I'll need to do some research before recording Jabberwocky - I need to check the pronunciation of all the odd words.

julianpratley

Post by julianpratley » October 25th, 2020, 10:40 pm

That's fair enough, there are certainly some weird ones! Those three chapters are PL OK :thumbs:
The Walrus and the Carpenter is one of my favourite poems :D