COMPLETE: The Ivory Tower by Henry James -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
czandra

Post by czandra »

The Ivory Tower by Henry James (1843 - 1916).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-ivory-tower-by-henry-james/
An unfinished manuscript written in ponderous, convoluted language making possible subterfuge and frankness in wealthy American society of James' purview, in which a character as unsuspecting as the reader gets embroiled more or less willingly in power shifts over a massive inheritance. The first part of the book is an example of James' late adoption of narrator as seemingly blinkered as his characters to the unseen, leaving the "i's" deliberately undotted, as he says; and the second part is a great study in the stages of execution of a novel, notably sketching out the flow and identifying "joints" in the drama, and resolving potential sticking points. James' style lends itself to filmic imagination. (summary by Czandra)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62979
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: unfinished, writing technique, corruption, materialism, wealth

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section number of The Ivory Tower. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Ivory Tower, by Henry James. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Ivory Tower by Henry James. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:

• "Book #, part #"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Ivory Tower, by Henry James. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ivorytower_##_james_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ivorytower_01_james_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    The DPL for this project is jennlea

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by czandra on January 15th, 2023, 6:05 am, edited 11 times in total.
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Courtney,

I can MC this for you. Your MW will be available shortly.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: September 7th, 2020, 1:56 pm This project is now set up in the database. Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to trying out a solo and learning more of the LV world :)
Courtney Miller
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

One of my DPL projects is wrapping up and I would be happy to be the DPL for this project if you don't have anyone else in mind.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

jennlea wrote: September 7th, 2020, 2:22 pm One of my DPL projects is wrapping up and I would be happy to be the DPL for this project if you don't have anyone else in mind.
This would be great, I think :)
Courtney Miller
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

cmiller27 wrote: September 7th, 2020, 9:21 pm This would be great, I think :)
Wonderful! Looking forward to listening :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

Hi everyone!

Had some technical setbacks this month so what I had recorded wasn't salvageable, but all should be right again and will hopefully have something for you soon!
Courtney Miller
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Sorry to hear that! Thanks for the update.
Jo
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

Courtney Miller
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Courtney. Whenever you upload a file, please update the MW to add the link in the Listen URL column, the time in the notes column and update the status to Ready for PL. I'll do this one for you as an example.
Jo
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Preface is PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 13th, 2020, 1:21 pm Hi Courtney. Whenever you upload a file, please update the MW to add the link in the Listen URL column, the time in the notes column and update the status to Ready for PL. I'll do this one for you as an example.
Right, that bit's new :) thank you, will do from here
Courtney Miller
cmiller27

Post by cmiller27 »

Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update. I'm slowly making my way. Had to pick up another job so now I mostly only have time to record when the kids who live upstairs are, understandably, crashing around. I've tried some soundproofing but they really do sound like elephants no matter how much noise reduction I apply. All this to say, I'm still working on it and hopeful to submit more recordings once I can find some good recording time!
Courtney Miller
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for the update Cortney. Hope you can find some quiet time/space in the near future!
Jo