[COMPLETE] A Short History of Germany by Mary Platt Parmele - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Natalie,
I just renumbered the sections from 0-20 so the section and chapter numbers again match up (section 0 = preface, section 1 = chapter 1,..., 20=20). At the beginning of the intro you could just say the chapter # and then at the end of the intro say the topics covered. E.g.

"Chapter 1 of A Short History of Germany by Mary Platt Parmele. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Then say:
"Chapter 1, Indo-European Migrations—Divisions of the Aryan Family into European Races—The Teutonic Race"

For the Preface (section 0) you would use the longer intro and just say "preface" at the beginning and end of the intro. E.g.

"Preface of A Short History of Germany. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Then say:
"A Short History of Germany by Mary Platt Parmele. Preface"

There are many variations possible so it's best to plan this before you begin recording.

Dave
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

Hi,

Just an update here...

I have recorded the Preface and Chapters 1-3, but there is an issue with the microphone not configured right on my brand new computer. I may have to go back and re-record these sections if I can figure out what is causing the issue. There is a TON of background noise, the "s" and "t" letters in my speaking are super sibilant, and I sound like I'm very far away. It's kind of a mess!

Natalie/ VioletBleu
Violet Bleu
"She believed she could, so she did"--R.S. Grey
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear there are recording issues. Feel free to post a sample here if you want someone to have a listen.
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

I decided to just re-record the preface and chapters 1 and 3. They sound a lot better now that I got the Audacity Pro extension for my computer. I don't think I had these issues before I upgraded to a better computer, but the audio sounded awful. So glad it sounds normal now!! I should have these chapters all set by the end of the weekend :)

Natalie
Violet Bleu
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

Hi,

Can you take a few seconds-listen of this recording, and tell me what I can do to fix it? Any tips are welcome!

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/shorthistoryofgermany_01_plattparmele_128kb_data_data.mp3
Violet Bleu
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

I believe the Preface is ready to go. Let me know what you think.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/shorthistoryofgermany_00_plattparmele_128kb_data.mp3
Chapter: Preface
Time: 1:27 min

Thank you!
Natalie
Violet Bleu
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Technical specs are all fine. The file name, of course, should not have the word "data" in it (..mele_128kb.mp3). There is some unevenness in the volume especially at the very end (1:17-1:22 is about 84dB) but with recording practice that will go away. Btw, with Audacity you can highlight a section and just amplify it.
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

craigdav1 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 11:11 am 0
Technical specs are all fine. The file name, of course, should not have the word "data" in it (..mele_128kb.mp3). There is some unevenness in the volume especially at the very end (1:17-1:22 is about 84dB) but with recording practice that will go away. Btw, with Audacity you can highlight a section and just amplify it.
I think I fixed it, should I reupload it now? I think the ending is just me saying "recording by....".

Natalie
Violet Bleu
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Yes, re-upload with the corrected file name and then change the url link in the MW. The only required thing at the end is "end of preface" and 5s of silence. "Recorded by..." is optional.
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

Violet Bleu
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

Violet Bleu
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK!
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

Chapter 3
Time: 08:31 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/shorthistorygermany_3_pamelle_128kb.mp3

I will be re-recording Chapters 1 and 2, since they did not turn out the way I wanted.

Natalie
Violet Bleu
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

00:21 I hear "recovering" not "covering."

Also, the file name has two errors: The authors name is shortened and the file number is 03 not 3. All file/section numbers must be two digit otherwise they will play out of order. When you upload the corrected file make sure to put the corrected file name in the MW. I will delete the "3" file after the book is finished.

Nice read.
laughingcat302

Post by laughingcat302 »

craigdav1 wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:45 am 3
00:21 I hear "recovering" not "covering."

Also, the file name has two errors: The authors name is shortened and the file number is 03 not 3. All file/section numbers must be two digit otherwise they will play out of order. When you upload the corrected file make sure to put the corrected file name in the MW. I will delete the "3" file after the book is finished.

Nice read.
Thanks! I will fix that and correct the file name. Should have another chapter ready tomorrow too.
Violet Bleu