[Complete] Letters of Oscar Wilde, Volume 4 (1897-1898) - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Letters of Oscar Wilde, Volume 4 (1897-1898) by Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/letters-of-oscar-wilde-volume-4-1897-1898-by-oscar-wilde/
This fourth collection of the correspondence of Oscar Wilde includes the letters Wilde wrote while living in Berneval, in the months after his release from prison, and in Naples, where he shared a villa with his former lover, Lord Alfred Douglas. In a long letter to the editor of the Daily Chronicle, Wilde describes the cruelties of prison life. At this time Wilde was writing The Ballad of Reading Gaol, and the poem is a frequent topic in his letters to his friend, Robert Ross, and publisher, Leonard Smithers. The letters, some of which have been excerpted or redacted, are sourced from auction catalogues, biographies, collections of letters to Douglas and Ross, and other texts in the public domain. For a complete collection of Wilde's letters, please see "The Complete Letters of Oscar Wilde," (2000) edited by Merlin Holland and Rupert Hart-Davis. (Rob Marland)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): I will read from multiple sources, which can be found here (this spreadsheet will be deleted when the project is finished): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hVkrUSyMzhFtsu_-3eUOMYMOoDgMuvVwdcerglwlo3I/edit#gid=0

Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Oscar Wilde) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 69
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
"Letters of Oscar Wilde, Volume 4 (1897-1898). [Sender's name if not Wilde] to [recipient], [date], from [source]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by [reader].”

In subsequent sections:
"[Sender's name if not Wilde] to [recipient], [date], from [source]. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain. "

END of recording:
At the end of the section, say:
"End of section"

At the end of the book, also say
"End of Letters of Oscar Wilde, Volume 4 (1897-1898)"

Example filename letters4_##_wilde_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. letters4_01_wilde_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by RobMarland on September 12th, 2020, 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up for you.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Lynnet wrote: September 7th, 2020, 9:21 am I'll set this up for you.
Great, thanks Lynne.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

There was a bit of a glitch with the MW, and I'm having to manually set things up... which is taking forever due to slow internet speed :roll: Do you have a DPL yet?

Edit: I see you've completed the MW :clap:
I'll leave the extra sections for now in case you decide you need them, but they are easy for me to delete.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Lynnet wrote: September 7th, 2020, 11:17 am There was a bit of a glitch with the MW, and I'm having to manually set things up... which is taking forever due to slow internet speed :roll: Do you have a DPL yet?

Edit: I see you've completed the MW :clap:
I'll leave the extra sections for now in case you decide you need them, but they are easy for me to delete.
Thanks, Lynne. The glitch might be my fault: I accidentally hit 'submit' on the project generator before I filled in some details, such as number of sections. I have no idea what the effect of this is on the MC side, but I think I'm right that when the form is submitted the details are logged with the new project number, so didn't want to generate the code again in case this would be a bother. Anyway, seems we're on track now. :thumbs:

No DPL yet, but I'll advertise once I've got a bit more done. I just finished recording for Vol 3 and don't have a DPL for that yet either, so am looking for someone for that project first.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo
lwalalba

Post by lwalalba »

Hi Lynnet

I'd like to do the proof listening for this project please - happy to take it on as a whole.

Thanks

Lianne
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

1-3 PL OK
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

lwalalba wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:31 am Hi Lynnet

I'd like to do the proof listening for this project please - happy to take it on as a whole.

Thanks

Lianne
Lianne, it is Rob's decision, not mine :mrgreen:

Please be sure to read Proof Listening 101 https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

Also, you would need to be given access to the MW. I recommend you start by listening to Letter 4 and post any comments here. That would be a good way to see if proof listening is for you (not everyone takes to it).
I have already done the technical checks on 1-15 and everything is fine :thumbs:
lwalalba

Post by lwalalba »

Apologies, thanks Rob - I hope that's ok with you :)

I'll listen to Letter 4 as suggested, thanks

Lianne
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

lwalalba wrote: September 8th, 2020, 9:39 am Apologies, thanks Rob - I hope that's ok with you :)

I'll listen to Letter 4 as suggested, thanks

Lianne
Hi Lianne,

No worries, thanks for helping. This project is a bit more complicated than most because there isn’t a single source I am reading from. Each section has its own source. You can find a link to the spreadsheet that contains links to all the sources in the first post in this thread (in the spreadsheet click the tab at the bottom for volume 4). For standard proof-listening you don’t actually have to read along while listening: that’s optional. But in my experience it makes it easier to spot mistakes.

When I record I click my fingers whenever I make a mistake, and then look for the clicks when I edit. This means I don’t actually listen to the whole file back, so the most likely error you will find in these recordings will be when I accidentally failed to delete a first take. So please identify any repetitions or things like that.

Thanks again for joining us!
lwalalba

Post by lwalalba »

Hi Rob

Thanks for that.

I've listened to Letter 4 and it was great :)

The only issue I found was right at the start - you mentioned "De Profundis 14th Edition" but the text that is linked to is the 12th edition.

Other than that no issues under the standard listen.

If you need help with proof listening to any other sections let me know.

Lianne
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Lianne,

This is exactly the sort of thing I want to be picked up, because with so many sources it is probably inevitable that I will have made a mistake somewhere. In this case, though, the error is on the part of the person who uploaded that book. You can see in the book itself that it’s the 14th ed, even though it has been identifed by the uploader as the 12th: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.94181/page/n8/mode/1up

So I have marked the section PL OK.

If you are happy to PL more sections, or even to be the Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL) that would be great. Totally up to you.