COMPLETE: Commentary on Acts of the Apostles by Matthew Henry - lny

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jeffreyorman

Post by jeffreyorman »

Section 2, good to go.
linny

Post by linny »

jeffreyorman wrote: October 21st, 2020, 4:07 pm Section 2, good to go.
Jeff,
Please make sure you toggle the MW workflow when you finish PLing a section. It the dropdown on the far right.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Jeff, I've fixed section 1--at 1:48 changed Christ to Jesus, and at 18:14 changed "you once did" to "once you did." I reposted, and toggled the MW to Ready for Spot PL. I also updated the time to 23:30. Don't feel like you need to recheck the section right away--everyone's practice is different, but I sometimes accumulate a few spot PLs and do them all in one sitting.

Thanks for listening.

Joanne
jeffreyorman

Post by jeffreyorman »

Hi Joanne,
Thanks for the tips. I am wondering if I still use "see PL notes" if everything is honky-dory (thought I'd make you smile). I did section 3-7 yesterday and the only thing that stood out was Section 7, 17:54, pronunciation of Josephus. I did some research and I believe it should be joh-SEE-fuhs.
? Do you read these in 3-5 minute sections and then join them? If you do, it is seamless. I was totally impressed with the 52 minutes, and getting the roman numerals and latin insertions. You are an accomplished reader and though I initially was interested in being a reader, I agree with the Forum that it is best to be a listener for while.
Jeff
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Jeff, thanks much for the pronunciation of Josephus. He is a recurring character, so I'll pronounce it correctly from now on, and go back and fix it in the text already recorded.

As for the MW: Once I have made the indicated changes to a section, I toggle the MW back to Ready for Spot PL. At that point, you should check to make sure that the changes have been made, the time has been updated (if needed), and, more importantly, that in doing so I haven't screwed something else up! Once you've confirmed that the newly uploaded section is okay, toggle the MW to PL OK--under Librivox "rules," only the PL should do so. That's also the administrator's cue to use that version in the final assembly and processing.

Thanks also for your kind comments on my reading. To answer your questions, I generally scan the text before reading, mostly to check for pronunciations (missing Josephus notwithstanding!). In recording, I read the section's text start to finish. I think that's as much a function of my physical setup as anything. I use a boom mike, and frankly have trouble getting really consistent sound between takes (as your discerning ear has no doubt noticed) because I'm never sitting precisely the same distance from the mike (and my voice never precisely the same volume, etc.) every time. It's not drastically different, but different enough that I can hear it. Others record with a headset, so their sound is much more consistent from recording session to recording session.

If I make a mistake (and I make many, many mistakes) and catch it at the time, I just re-read the text correctly and keep going. (There is something called punch-and-roll that lets you record over the mistake at the time, but I've not had enough experience yet to be comfortable with it.) Once I've finished recording the section, I go back to the beginning and listen to it, deleting the mistakes as I go. If I catch another mistake at this stage, I stop, record a correct version, splice it in, and delete the erroneous text. It's time-consuming, but I think I owe it to my PLs to upload a recording that is as error-free as I can make it.

Overall, you should not be intimidated at all by the prospect of recording. Try listening to a little bit of a few completed Librivox books and you'll hear what a wide variety of voices and styles there are. Sure, some are so polished that they seem right out of the radio or TV, but there are plenty of others who are much more down-to-earth. I think Librivox users actually appreciate listening to people who sound like the rest of us! But if you just want to PL, you'll be more than welcome. Proofing is a thankless job but so necessary, and good PLers are always in high demand.

Thanks again for listening.

Joanne
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

PS (and if you are already doing it this way, please ignore. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just save you tons of time!)

The easiest way to spot PL is to activate the MW, copy the link to the recorded text, open Audacity, and paste the link into Audacity. You can then move easily from spot to spot. It's also the easiest way to PL the first time around. I tell you this because when I started PLing, I did it in Librivox (not Audacity), which meant listening to the whole recorded text over again, which is truly painful if you need to check only certain spots.

Again, if you're already doing it this way, ignore this post.
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Jeff, I've corrected the pronunciation of Josephus in section 7 (at 17:54) and reposted the section for your spot PL.

Joanne
jeffreyorman

Post by jeffreyorman »

Hi Jo,
Had a barrage of listening Sunday and only section 12 needs editing at 0:31, 0:50, delay at 1:31, edit at 1:44, 3:14.
Really exceptional considering the length and complexity. I have marked everything PL Ok except 12. Jeff
linny

Post by linny »

jeffreyorman wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 5:42 pm Hi Jo,
Had a barrage of listening Sunday and only section 12 needs editing at 0:31, 0:50, delay at 1:31, edit at 1:44, 3:14.
Really exceptional considering the length and complexity. I have marked everything PL Ok except 12. Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Considering there are additional sections ready for PL it would be much preferred to do something along the line of 0-2 are spot check PL OK and 3 and 11, and 13 are PL OK. (I don't know the exacts but calling out each of the sections you PLed and to what degree (full v spot) is most desirable).
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Jeff, I've made the indicated corrections, reposted section 12, adjusted the time to 36:29, and toggled the MW. I apologize--they were pretty obvious.

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
jeffreyorman

Post by jeffreyorman »

Hi Joanne,
Confused about what you are asking of 0-2 and 3 and 11 in MW.
I listened to sections 15-20 and only found some mispronunciations:
Section 16 22:00 and 22:08 Fi LEE mon
Section 18 30:17 and 30:52 Jo-SEE-fus
Section 19 25:28 Fi LEE mon and 30:56 Nico-Lai-tans
Enjoying the listen...
Jeff
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Jeff, those are Linny's notes. I think she may be referring to your initial posts, in which you toggled sections to See PL Notes but there was nothing to change or correct in them. By convention, only the PLer can mark a section PL OK. My response to a See PL Note is to make the correction/change, repost, and toggle to either Ready for PL (if the whole section needs to be re-reviewed) or Ready for Spot PL (if only certain parts need to be checked). When a section is marked See PL Notes but there is nothing to change, I'm not sure what I can do in response. But that's just my guess.

In any event, I'll work on the corrections and repost when they're ready for you.

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
linny

Post by linny »

Jeff,
Please post in the thread when you have a PL update. Even if you are having trouble with the MW it can be changed for you but not if we don't know what to change.

Example: "Sections 1-3 are PL OK. I can't updated the MW right now."

I see no indication in the thread that anything past section 13 has been PLed however many of those sections have been changed to PL OK. We need the comment in the thread to ensure they have been checked and that the reader didn't accidentally toggle them.
jeffreyorman

Post by jeffreyorman »

Thanks Linny,
The MW is now updating. Sorry. it wasn't showing where I toggle.
For the record, sections -35 have been PL'd by me and OK'd other than a few for corrections as noted in log.
Joanne, beware of Chapter 11 section titled primitive charity. Josephus pronunciation. I would suggest you do a quick search including Philemon as you prepare to read. By tonight I will have caught up and noted here up to Section 40.
Jeff
jhturner

Post by jhturner »

Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.

Joanne