[COMPLETE] Korea and Her Neighbors by Isabella L. Bird - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've fixed the dollars/shillings issue in section 10. Around 8:27 if you want to give it a quick listen.

Section 12 is up where she's back to her vivid descriptions of the scenery. I've never been to these mountains when I lived in Korea, but she does want me to go back and check them out! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

spot check fine, and mountain travels fine - it is interesting to hear about all our garden plants growing where they came from. She was amazing going to all these "unvisited" places by herself, though maybe it was because she was by herself that people felt curious not threatened.
In my youth we got a job from Kent County Council for a few weeks doing a survey at houses for their planning department and they were amazed that we only got 1 refusal - they wanted us to do more. But I think the reason was it was a nontourist working class area and they were so busy trying to place our accents that they had to keep answering, also we didn't look and talk like stuck up people sticking our noses into their business

Anne
Have I used too much slang ?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I agree that a woman travelling mostly alone - she still had a party of pony drivers and translators etc. with her - makes people feel more comfortable. You can't imagine how trusting some of them Japanese get with me, and they are used to tourists by now. :lol:

Anyway, the travels along the coast are up. With an interesting excursion into song and poetry. I didn't sing the arirang - I'd like my listeners to survive the experience.

This was the longest chapter, the next few are much shorter, but then again, she has to leave... *end spoiler*
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Coast trip PL OK. An interesting comment re "music" - European classical music seems to be more accepted now - I don't know about Korea but certainly most of the Chinese ESL students at my children's schools were only allowed (by parents) to do music extracurricular things

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Not that I have any hard numbers or personal experience, but there are many, many Asian students in our conservatoriums, possibly even more than Austrians by now. And it's a favourite topic here whenever I tell a new accquaintance where I come from. Unless, of course, they want to talk about their great golfing holiday in Cairns... :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Chapters 13 and 14 are up - and dear Isabella is not in Korea anymore... :shock:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I know little about Korea - but even less about Manchuria and Siberia :D

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Siberia is cold. Very cold. :lol:
I don't think she's going there, even though it would be a change from her complaining about the hot rooms she's forced to sleep in. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I've uploaded a few more chapters. It seems she does go to Siberia - and it's snowing there already. :shock: Well, she'll be back soon to complain about the heat.

I'm just half way now, and I thought that I might complete this book by the end of the month. But it doesn't seem feasible, really, so instead I'm shooting for "some time in June". :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

15,16,17,18,19 PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :D

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well you're on a roll! :lol:

Let's exploit that a little - 5 more sections for you... :mrgreen:

Isabella went to Siberia, met Russians and Koreans there but she's now back in a Japan-annexed Korea, where she promptly received an audience with the King and Queen. :shock: All you needed those days was to be a foreigner... Trust me, it's not working like that any longer. And not just because there's no more royalty in Korea. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

And another two sections. The Queen is dead, long live the... well, not really. Dangerous times in Korea... The following sections on burial customs does not talk about the Queen's burial though. For obvious reasons as you shall find, but she did get buried eventually, with the pomp royalty demands.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

20,21,22,23,24 All PLOK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Interesting - I really know very little about Korea. Asia is historically much more like Europe - with armies marching backwards and forwards all the time and everyone wanting more land.

Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you!

Well, just like in Europe, you have plenty of neighbours to fight with. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

All done - only 11 more to go. :D
Interesting genetically that with so much to-ing and fro-ing that there still are visual differences in countries. When I was at school the predominant hair colour was mousy brown - there were a few blondes, an odd red or 2, and black quite uncommon but with the influx of Greeks and Italians and later Asians that has changed. I'm talking about 6 and 7 year olds - while their hair is still natural colour.

Anne