[SOLO] The Spirits' Book by Allan Kardec-Leni

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
nwspiritism

Post by nwspiritism » August 18th, 2020, 11:38 am

The Spirits' Book by Allan Kardec. Translated by Anna Blackwell (1816 - 1900)

Codified by Allan Kardec, in 1857, is widely regarded as the most important piece of writing in the Spiritist canon. The Spirits Book lays out the doctrine of the belief system. The subjects that Kardec discusses lays down the foundations for the Spiritist philosophy and all of the concepts that would become, and still are, key to the movement’s thinking have their genesis in the book. The belief that there is one Supreme Being, God, who created everything in the universe, is postulated. According to the text the Devil does not exist and Jesus is a messenger of God. Although the book does not refer to Jesus as the son of God and no mention is made of the ‘immaculate conception’ he is considered God’s perfect messenger and his teachings are to be adhered to. Reincarnation and the survival of the soul after death are vital beliefs and it is stated that it is through reincarnation that lessons are learnt that can be taken into the next life and that every life moves the soul closer to perfection. According to the book man is made up of three separate elements; the body, the spirit and the spiritual body. ( Amazon description of the Book)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/spiritualistphil01kard/page/n9/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Spirits' Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Spirits Book, by Allan Kardec. Translated by Anna Blackwell [Chapter number, Chapter name]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Spirits Book by Allan Kardec. Translated by Anna Blackwell. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Spirits' Book, by Allan Kardec. Translated by Anna Blackwell "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename spiritsbook_##_kardec_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. spiritsbook_01_kardec_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore tags

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 18th, 2020, 11:48 am

Welcome to LibriVox! Two notes:

1) Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

- We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

- Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.

2) I don't like this specific text source. It has an ISBN number, which when searching, shows this was published in 1996. It doesn't specify what edition it came from. In other words, it's not clearly an out-of-copyright edition.
I did find this same work on Archive, however. There are 2 texts there:
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.62076
https://archive.org/details/spiritualistphil01kard
Either of these will work.

(To other MC's: I will not be MC'ing this.)
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

nwspiritism

Post by nwspiritism » August 19th, 2020, 12:51 pm

Thank you, I will use one of the other pdf's. I am not worried about working solo, I have completed 8 audio books for ACX. I am doing "The Spirits' Book" for free and wish to make it available for a wide audience. I will start posting in October.

Thank you!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 19th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Okay.

I think the major difference between ACX and here is that we require a bit rate of 128 kbps. I think ACX requires 192.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 19th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Hello.

I can MC and PL this book for you. Would you mind though posting the first section, or maybe a snippet of it, as a test, just so we can check the tech specs, please? Thanks! As soon as we have that, I will add the project to the system and give you information on updating the window.
Leni
=================

Women Biographies? The Lives of The Empresses of Constantinople are open for readers! :D

nwspiritism

Post by nwspiritism » August 20th, 2020, 11:45 am

Sure I will do that, thanks for your help.

Here is a sample: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/0-Prologue_-_Allan_Kardec_-_The_Spirits_Book_-_00_-_0_-_Progolgue.mp3

I haven't added the required words at the start yet, for the introduction. Please let me know what I may need to modify.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 20th, 2020, 5:42 pm

nwspiritism wrote:
August 20th, 2020, 11:45 am
Sure I will do that, thanks for your help.

Here is a sample: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/0-Prologue_-_Allan_Kardec_-_The_Spirits_Book_-_00_-_0_-_Progolgue.mp3

I haven't added the required words at the start yet, for the introduction. Please let me know what I may need to modify.
Ok, great, thanks.

Your reading is very good, just two technical things to fix. The file should be in 128kbps, yours is 192. The volume range should be between 86-92dB, yours is a bit loud. Neither of these request re-recording, of course, just a bit of deamplification and exporting with the correct bitrate. So, please, keep those in mind when recording the sections.

Other than that, you are set. You have a window in your first post, which we use to organize the projects in the system. As a soloist, you are the coordinator of your own project, which means you should log in to the window, fill in the titles of chapters (these will be the ones in the catalog page when the project is done) and add the link to the file when it is uploaded, as well as the length in mm:ss to the Notes field.

Here are instructions on how to log in to the window for the first time. Please note that your forum password and window password are two different things: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here are instructions on how to deal with the window: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Please read the first post carefully, regarding intros, outros and filename. While in most project we would wait for a Proof-Listener to appear, I will be your Proof-Listener for this project, so, as soon as you have seen and replied to this post, I will move this project to the Going Solo area of the forum, where it will remain until it is done. :D

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
Leni
=================

Women Biographies? The Lives of The Empresses of Constantinople are open for readers! :D

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » August 22nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

Moving to Going Solo.
Leni
=================

nwspiritism

Post by nwspiritism » September 1st, 2020, 12:00 pm

Hi Leni,

Here is the Introduction. Please let me know if I need any changes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/0_-_Allan_Kardec_-_Narrated_by_Brian_Foster_-_00_-_0_-_Introduction.mp3

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » September 2nd, 2020, 7:14 pm

Hello Brian!

Here in Librivox, we read the text as is. So, this introduction, since it is not the introduction to the book, cannot be part of the Librivox recording. You can add your name, blog etc as part of the intro to each section,as in the model:

Chapter [number] of The Spirits' Book. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:

You can also add some of what you said here in the summary of the book, such as how Kardec codified spiritism, and how he got the same reply from different mediums. But the recording should contain the book content only.

Also, please observe the filename scheme, so that files will sort in the correct order. The files should be named spiritsbook_##_kardec_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number.

Looking forward to this recording! :)
Leni
=================

nwspiritism

Post by nwspiritism » September 7th, 2020, 3:59 am

Hi Leni,

Here is the new Prologue - https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/spiritsbook_01_kardec_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if this format is ok. Thanks for you help!

Brian

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » September 8th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Hello, Brian

Yes, that is fine!

I have just corrected the filename, because, as this is the Prologue, it should be section 00. I fixed it myself and put it correctly in the window. Also, when you upload a file, please add it to the window and add the file length, in mm:ss, to the Notes, as I have done above.

I have marked your section PL OK! You're good to go to the next one now! Remember the next file will be number 01, since the prologue became number 00.

Thanks! :D
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » September 16th, 2020, 8:29 pm

Great! I will listen to them as soon as possible!
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » September 18th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Hello, Brian

Great reading!

In section 1, I have just one little note: at 01:23, right before question 4, you forgot the title "Proofs of the Existence of God".

In section 2, at 05:12, there is a stumble (question 25): "or is it one of the pro-properties of matter"
Leni
=================