SOLO: U.S. Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990-lny

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
jhturner

Post by jhturner » August 17th, 2020, 6:47 pm

United States Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990 by Anne M. Butler (1938 - 2014) and others.

Article I, section 5, of the U.S. Constitution gives each house of Congress power to judge the elections, returns, and qualifications of its members and to punish members for "disorderly behavior." Between 1793 and 1990, 141 U.S. senators faced challenges to their credentials based on their qualifications for office, alleged irregularities in their elections, discipline for offenses ranging fro public corruption to giving aid and comfort to the Confederacy, and for pure political spite. As researched and written by staff of the Congressional Research Office, these are their stories. Note: all publications of the CRS are public domain. ( Joanne Turner)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007417483
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Political Science

Keywords that describe the book: will be sent before cataloging

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of United States Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "United States Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990, by Anne M. Butler. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of United States Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990 by Anne M. Butler. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of United States Senate Election, Expulsion, and Censure Cases, 1793-1990, by Anne M. Butler. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ussenatecases1793_1990_##_butler_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ussenatecases1793_1990_01_butler_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore ID tags. These are automatically completed during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 18th, 2020, 5:54 am

Looks interesting! It's not PD for me in Canada, so I won't be MC'ing it, but I wanted to suggest a shortened file name. Perhaps electionexpulsionandcensurecases_01_butler_128kb? Even that's a bit long. Maybe senatecases_01_butler_128kb?

The U of MN scan looks easier to read than the Harvard one.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5
Short essays: Elia, and The Last Essays of Elia

jhturner

Post by jhturner » August 18th, 2020, 6:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Tricia. They are much appreciated!

Joanne

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » August 18th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Wow! How interesting. I can MC this for you.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » August 18th, 2020, 4:40 pm

I'll be happy to DPL. My health is a bit up and down, but I will try to listen as the sections are done. Looks like a fine project.
What? What's that? Why are you shouting?

jhturner

Post by jhturner » August 18th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Thanks, Linny--happy to be working with you again! And Kevin, happy to work with you as well.

A bit of explanation: each chapter of the book covers a particular disciplinary case/senator or, occasionally, a group of senators. I'll be recording the introduction, which is a thorough explanation of the disciplinary process and its evolution, and then planning to record each chapter as a separate section, which is why I am anticipating 150 sections or so. Some of the chapters are quite short--sometimes no more than a page or so--but I think this will allow the listener to better navigate if desired and produce a more accessible table of contents, rather than group several chapters into one section. Linny, do you agree?

I am finishing up one project now, and anticipate starting to record this one by the first of September.

Thanks, both of you!

Joanne

jhturner

Post by jhturner » August 19th, 2020, 8:28 am

Linny, two versions of this project have shown up on my workflow--one marked open and one marked fully subscribed, but otherwise exactly the same except with different project numbers. I'll post and upload to the one that is fully subscribed, but wonder if the other should/could be deleted to avoid confusion?

Thanks,

Joanne

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » August 19th, 2020, 12:07 pm

You should be ok now. Also, Kevin has been added as DPL.

Let me know if you have any other issues.

jhturner

Post by jhturner » September 1st, 2020, 1:54 pm

Kevin, both parts of the Introduction are ready for your DPL. I have also begun to populate the Magic Window with case names, mostly so I can keep them straight. It all looks a bit intimidating, but many of the cases are very short--just a page or two and less than 10 or 15 minutes of reading. Nevertheless, I think it's best to make each of them separate sections, rather than combine them, just to keep the table of contents straight and as consistent as possible with the book itself.

You should never feel pressure to keep up with my recording--it will come in spurts as I work around my schedule, just as your listening will. And although the level of PL is marked standard, your comments of any kind are always welcome.

Happy to be working with you, and thanks for listening.

Joanne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » September 1st, 2020, 2:05 pm

jhturner wrote:
September 1st, 2020, 1:54 pm
Kevin, both parts of the Introduction are ready for your DPL. I have also begun to populate the Magic Window with case names, mostly so I can keep them straight. It all looks a bit intimidating, but many of the cases are very short--just a page or two and less than 10 or 15 minutes of reading. Nevertheless, I think it's best to make each of them separate sections, rather than combine them, just to keep the table of contents straight and as consistent as possible with the book itself.

You should never feel pressure to keep up with my recording--it will come in spurts as I work around my schedule, just as your listening will. And although the level of PL is marked standard, your comments of any kind are always welcome.

Happy to be working with you, and thanks for listening.

Joanne
This will be fascinating. Fun, too, in a nerdy kind of way.

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » September 2nd, 2020, 5:22 am

Joanne,
Please remember to put the file duration in the Notes section. I use it as a double check during cataloging to ensure they system picked up the correct files.

Have fun!

jhturner

Post by jhturner » September 2nd, 2020, 8:38 am

Ooh, thanks for the reminder! I've added those now. :D

Kevin, I've started to record individual cases and will post them one at a time.

Joanne

jhturner

Post by jhturner » September 2nd, 2020, 1:40 pm

Kevin, cases 1 through 10 are ready for your PL. Each is quite short, ranging from 3:41 to 11:38, and with plenty of political intrigue!

Thanks for listening,

Joanne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » September 2nd, 2020, 1:46 pm

jhturner wrote:
September 2nd, 2020, 1:40 pm
Kevin, cases 1 through 10 are ready for your PL. Each is quite short, ranging from 3:41 to 11:38, and with plenty of political intrigue!

Thanks for listening,

Joanne
I hope to get started tonight!

KevinS

Post by KevinS » September 3rd, 2020, 12:11 pm

Section 2 PL OK!