[HIST FICTION-ADV] The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 16th, 2020, 9:30 am

Hehe! Yes, most of the older books use a different sentence structure that often makes my tongue stumble, so I end up having to do quite a bit of editing after recording a chapter. I love them, though.

And Baroness Osczy was a terrifically entertaining writer, eh?

Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette in Colorado, USA
My Sections
5 wks so far of my own Covid. My father-in-law died from it after we contracted it at the funeral for my mother-in-law, who died in Oct of lung cancer discovered in Sep. Be well! recording on hold, PL/edit happening

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 16th, 2020, 9:44 am

LCaulkins wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 9:30 am
Hehe! Yes, most of the older books use a different sentence structure that often makes my tongue stumble, so I end up having to do quite a bit of editing after recording a chapter. I love them, though.

And Baroness Osczy was a terrifically entertaining writer, eh?

Section 1 is PL OK :thumbs:
Yep, it turns into a heck of a tongue twister, especially since Orczy, bless her, wasn’t a friend of punctuation! :lol:
Thanks again for checking this project for me. For future chapters, is it easiest for you if I post here when there’s a new part, or would you prefer I send a PM?
Lydia R.

"Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it."
-Russell Lynes

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

Posting here works great. I often take Sat or Sun off from LibriVox, but otherwise I check in at least once in the afternoon or evening and download any recordings that came in. The first thing I do is go to my "Your posts" board link, which very quickly shows all the discussions where there's been activity since the last time I was here. Super easy way to see when you've uploaded something, and I won't have to keep deleting messages to keep the PM box from clogging up. :)

Each morning, I proof listen for up to an hour, which almost always clears any files from the evening before.

Oh, and about once a week, I'll go to the PL list on the My Sections portion of my catalog page to make sure someone hasn't uploaded without remembering to say it was there. It's a great list, but at least on my end, it's cumbersome to get to and takes quite a while to load. So I don't like going to it all the time.
My Sections
5 wks so far of my own Covid. My father-in-law died from it after we contracted it at the funeral for my mother-in-law, who died in Oct of lung cancer discovered in Sep. Be well! recording on hold, PL/edit happening

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » August 16th, 2020, 2:45 pm

LCaulkins wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

Oh, and about once a week, I'll go to the PL list on the My Sections portion of my catalog page to make sure someone hasn't uploaded without remembering to say it was there. It's a great list, but at least on my end, it's cumbersome to get to and takes quite a while to load. So I don't like going to it all the time.
You can bookmark the PL List page for one-click access. Here's the direct link to yours:

https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13661#pl_view
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 16th, 2020, 4:03 pm

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 2:45 pm
LCaulkins wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 9:48 am

You can bookmark the PL List page for one-click access. Here's the direct link to yours:

https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13661#pl_view
Thanks for making sure I had that, Jo :)
My Sections

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 16th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Part one, chapter two is up. The track duration is 13:26 and it's been run through the checker.
Prepare for that old stalwart of classic literature, the giant wall of dialogue that has no breaks, or actions, but just goes on, and on, and on...and on...
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 17th, 2020, 8:26 am

Oh my gosh! You are so good at the accents. :) I'm super jealous of your ability to read the French. I'm sure mine is extremely painful to anyone with the slightest knowledge of it. Fortunately, I don't encounter it too terribly often in my readings. :lol:

And Orczy's dialog stretches are OK - nice and entertaining! You do them well, too.

Notes for Section 2:

In the last portion, "Madame" got recorded instead of "Madeleine" in three spots. Time stamps are 11:48, 12:43, and 13:13

If you decide to replace those, make sure you work the edits from the back, moving forward. Otherwise, subsequent time stamps move around on you. It's a pain when I forget to work back-to-front. :roll:
My Sections

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 17th, 2020, 9:24 am

LCaulkins wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:26 am
Oh my gosh! You are so good at the accents. :) I'm super jealous of your ability to read the French. I'm sure mine is extremely painful to anyone with the slightest knowledge of it. Fortunately, I don't encounter it too terribly often in my readings. :lol:

And Orczy's dialog stretches are OK - nice and entertaining! You do them well, too.

Notes for Section 2:

In the last portion, "Madame" got recorded instead of "Madeleine" in three spots. Time stamps are 11:48, 12:43, and 13:13

If you decide to replace those, make sure you work the edits from the back, moving forward. Otherwise, subsequent time stamps move around on you. It's a pain when I forget to work back-to-front. :roll:
Aww, thank you!
And thank you for catching those errors. I will definitely correct them.
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 17th, 2020, 8:22 pm

LCaulkins wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:26 am

Notes for Section 2:

I've made the corrections and uploaded the new file. Would you mind rechecking the last couple of minutes for me? Everything is exactly the same up until the 11:45 mark. The new file duration is 13:28.
Thank you! :D
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 18th, 2020, 4:50 pm

CaptPerfectHair wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:22 pm

I've made the corrections and uploaded the new file. Would you mind rechecking the last couple of minutes for me? Everything is exactly the same up until the 11:45 mark. The new file duration is 13:28.
Nice editing :) Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:

- by the way, when you upload an edited file for a project that you're the BC for, don't forget to switch the final column in the MW to "Ready for Spot Check." That way, it also shows up on your DPL's Reader Page PL list of sections ready for them. It also keeps you and your MC apprised of whatever stage each section is sitting at - particularly helpful on group projects that you are running.

oh! And, in the Notes column, put the length of time that the file is. I should have mentioned that with Section 1! When we pull files to PL, we're supposed to double check that the time on the file we accessed matches the time that it recorded in the MW. My bad for matching them to what you said in the discussion and forgetting about the MW note. I'd left it empty the first time so I could cue you, and then forgot. :( Sorry!
My Sections

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 19th, 2020, 5:06 am

LCaulkins wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 4:50 pm
CaptPerfectHair wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Nice editing :) Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:

- by the way, when you upload an edited file for a project that you're the BC for, don't forget to switch the final column in the MW to "Ready for Spot Check." That way, it also shows up on your DPL's Reader Page PL list of sections ready for them. It also keeps you and your MC apprised of whatever stage each section is sitting at - particularly helpful on group projects that you are running.

oh! And, in the Notes column, put the length of time that the file is. I should have mentioned that with Section 1! When we pull files to PL, we're supposed to double check that the time on the file we accessed matches the time that it recorded in the MW. My bad for matching them to what you said in the discussion and forgetting about the MW note. I'd left it empty the first time so I could cue you, and then forgot. :( Sorry!
Will do! Thank you for the reminders! :D
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 23rd, 2020, 7:49 pm

Section three is up! It's been run through the checker and the track duration is 8:55.
And hey, no giant wall of dialog this time! :lol:
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins » August 24th, 2020, 7:50 am

Sure love listening to your chapters. :)

Chapter 3 is terrific, except that there's no silence at the beginning. We do need to have somewhere between .5 and 1 second up front, or the words get cut off when a person plays the section.

If you can just copy some silence from the end and paste it up front, that will fix this easily. It's easiest to do when the track is zoomed in to see the half-second marks. (forgive if that tip is old-hat stuff for you!) 8-)
My Sections

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 24th, 2020, 7:54 am

LCaulkins wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:50 am

Chapter 3 is terrific, except that there's no silence at the beginning. We do need to have somewhere between .5 and 1 second up front, or the words get cut off when a person plays the section.

If you can just copy some silence from the end and paste it up front, that will fix this easily. It's easiest to do when the track is zoomed in to see the half-second marks. (forgive if that tip is old-hat stuff for you!) 8-)
Thank you! I’ll get it fixed. I misunderstood that in the instructions and thought it was a “the less silence, the better” situation.
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes

CaptPerfectHair

Post by CaptPerfectHair » August 24th, 2020, 9:44 am

LCaulkins wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 7:50 am

I've a little over .5 seconds to the beginning of the track. The track duration is now 8:56. :D
Lydia R.

-Russell Lynes