SOLO The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries by W. Y. Evans-Wentz-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 26th, 2020, 12:12 pm

The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries by Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz (1878 - 1965).

Volunteers outside the USA: Walter Evans-Wentz died in 1965. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).
This is one of the most in-depth and scholarly attempts to explain the phenomena of the Celtic belief in fairies. Based on Evans-Wentz' Oxford doctoral thesis, it includes an extensive survey of the literature from many different perspectives, including folk-lore, history, anthropology and psychology. The heart of the book is the ethnographic fieldwork conducted by Evans-Wentz, an invaluable snapshot of the fairy belief system taken just on the cusp of modernity. There are regional surveys of the fairy-faith in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Brittany and the Isle of Man. Evan-Wentz later went on to become one of the leading authorities on Buddhism, and published many of the key documents of Tibetan Buddhism including the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Evans-Wentz examines each of the hypothetical explanations of the fairy phenomena. Among these are the theories that fairies were a reclusive race of dwarfs, that they are disembodied spirits, or that they are a figment of our imaginations. Evans-Wentz concludes that they may indeed be a manifestation of inhabitants of a higher reality that only some of us are able to view, let alone understand.

We come away from this study with a multi-dimensional view of the fairies, who, much like the grey aliens of UFO belief, inhabit a narrative which seems too consistent to be the product of insanity, yet too bizarre for conventional explanation. ( John Bruno Hare)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34853
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard
    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries, by Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz. [Section number and title (when changes)] Chapter [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries by Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries, by Walter Yeeling Evans-Wentz. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename fairyfaith_##_evanswentz_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fairyfaith_01_evanswentz_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below

ElizabethRayner

Post by ElizabethRayner » July 26th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Hiya! I would be interested in this project, I am looking to undertake a solo work and bonus - I am Scottish so it might be fitting for the text! Please let me know if this is okay for you, or am I totally confused and this is a project you are going to record yourself? I am new to the site and still trying to figure out the lingo! :D

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » July 26th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Hi Kyle,

This sounds like an interesting topic, but we can't use the summary you have provided as it is not public domain. Please consider writing a summary yourself at some point before the book is ready to be cataloged.

As soloist/book coordinator(BC), it is your responsibility to manage the information in the Magic Window. In order to do so, you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. before starting off on a solo project. You can always come back to this project at that point.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 26th, 2020, 4:50 pm

ElizabethRayner wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 4:08 pm
Hiya! I would be interested in this project, I am looking to undertake a solo work and bonus - I am Scottish so it might be fitting for the text! Please let me know if this is okay for you, or am I totally confused and this is a project you are going to record yourself? I am new to the site and still trying to figure out the lingo! :D
Hi, Elizabeth. When you see a thread like this, with SOLO in the subject line, it means that the person who posted it intends to read the whole book themselves. It doesn't mean that you can't start your own version as well, but it does mean that they aren't looking for other readers. :) If you're ready to embark on a solo and you're not sure what you want to read, browsing through the "Book Suggestions" forum is a great place to start. There are pages and pages of suggestions, many of which have still never been picked up.

ElizabethRayner

Post by ElizabethRayner » July 26th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Thank you so much for explaining! I shall have a wee look, good luck with your project! :D

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 27th, 2020, 6:25 am

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
July 26th, 2020, 4:15 pm
Hi Kyle,

This sounds like an interesting topic, but we can't use the summary you have provided as it is not public domain. Please consider writing a summary yourself at some point before the book is ready to be cataloged.

As soloist/book coordinator(BC), it is your responsibility to manage the information in the Magic Window. In order to do so, you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. before starting off on a solo project. You can always come back to this project at that point.
Thanks Jo, but when I try to reset my password on http://librivox.org/workflow, I get "Unable to rest password" whether I enter my username (kylemaclean), email, or user ID (118848). Thank you for the advice, but I have previous narration experience and am keen to do the entire project; I have already finished some sections.
EDIT: Thanks for checking that the summary I gave is not in the public domain. I will make my own one once I am finished with the project so I can have time to make a good one that does justice to the book.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » July 27th, 2020, 9:50 am

Kyle,

I'd be happy to MC this for you.
kylemaclean wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 6:25 am
Thanks Jo, but when I try to reset my password on http://librivox.org/workflow, I get "Unable to rest password" whether I enter my username (kylemaclean), email, or user ID (118848). Thank you for the advice, but I have previous narration experience and am keen to do the entire project; I have already finished some sections.
I think this is because you haven't read any sections, so you are not in our reader database. I'll add you as I set up your MW and assign the project to you, so then you should be able to login.

I checked your posts and don't see that you have had a 1 minute test approved. Please do that before you record for this project. It's not an audition, but a check that the technical specs on your file meet our requirements for uploading to Archive.

I'll get your MW set up and added to the first post. Please be sure to read the instructions Jo linked to for BCs as you will be responsible for managing your MW.

MaryAnn

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » July 27th, 2020, 10:02 am

OK, your MW is ready. I've filled in the first few section titles to give you an idea how I would do it. Since the chapter numbers don't restart when the sections of the book change, I would read the section titles in the intro, but not include them in the section titles in the MW.

When the project is cataloged, a number will be added to the beginning of whatever you type in as the section title in the MW. As long as you don't split any chapters, we recommend that you not include "chapter xx" in the MW section title, as it becomes repetitious with the numbers added during cataloging.

Any questions, please ask.

MaryAnn

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 27th, 2020, 10:37 am

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 9:50 am
Kyle,

I'd be happy to MC this for you.
kylemaclean wrote:
July 27th, 2020, 6:25 am
I think this is because you haven't read any sections, so you are not in our reader database. I'll add you as I set up your MW and assign the project to you, so then you should be able to login.

I checked your posts and don't see that you have had a 1 minute test approved. Please do that before you record for this project. It's not an audition, but a check that the technical specs on your file meet our requirements for uploading to Archive.

I'll get your MW set up and added to the first post. Please be sure to read the instructions Jo linked to for BCs as you will be responsible for managing your MW.

MaryAnn
Thanks MaryAnn, I am awaiting approval for my test. To fill in the section names, I tried to click on my project ID within the LibriVox Management Dashboard but am told "You don't have permissions for this area."

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » July 27th, 2020, 11:43 am

You're probably logged in with the general uploader password. Click on the BC/Admin link below your MW. If given a choice, log out. Then try logging in again - but you will need to create your password for the MW system first (it's a different system from the forums - some people use the same password for both, but they are not linked and changing one does not change the other).

MaryAnn

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 27th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Thanks for your help MaryAnn, I updated the sections and have uploaded the first two recordings:

Section 0 (time = 30:22): https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/fairyfaith_0_evanswentz_128kb.mp3
Section 1 (time = 36.19): https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/fairyfaith_1_evanswentz_128kb.mp3

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » July 27th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Great. We'll stay on the launch pad for another day to see if we can nab a DPL based on the ~ in the project title. If not, we'll move to going solo and you can post an advert in "listeners wanted".

MaryAnn

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » July 30th, 2020, 5:17 am

Well, no one has spotted the ~ and volunteered to DPL yet. We'll move to going solo and you can post an advert in Listeners Wanted. Instructions are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668
Let me know if I can be of help with that.
MaryAnn

AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska » July 30th, 2020, 6:31 am

If you're still in search of a DPL, I'd be happy to jump in! :D I enjoy studying the celtic culture in general, so I believe I'll enjoy this project!

Cheers,
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 30th, 2020, 1:05 pm

AnaNaumoska wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 6:31 am
If you're still in search of a DPL, I'd be happy to jump in! :D I enjoy studying the celtic culture in general, so I believe I'll enjoy this project!

Cheers,
Thanks Ana! Hope I am worthy of it!

New recording (13:21): https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/fairyfaith_2_evanswentz_128kb.mp3