COMPLETE - The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Charles Johnston - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Patanjali (c. 150 BCE - ). Translated by Charles Johnston (1867 - 1931)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-yoga-sutras-of-patanjali-1917-edition-by-patanjali/
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are in themselves exceedingly brief, less than ten pages of large type in the original. Yet they contain the essence of practical wisdom, set forth in admirable order and detail. The theme, if the present interpreter be right, is the great regeneration, the birth of the spiritual from the psychical man: the same theme which Paul so wisely and eloquently set forth in writing to his disciples in Corinth, the theme of all mystics in all lands.

We think of ourselves as living a purely physical life, in these material bodies of ours. In reality, we have gone far indeed from pure physical life; for ages, our life has been psychical, we have been centerd and immersed in the psychic nature. Some of the schools of India say that the psychic nature is, as it were, a looking-glass, wherein are mirrored the things seen by the physical eyes, and heard by the physical ears. But this is a magic mirror; the images remain, and take a certain life of their own. Thus within the psychic realm of our life there grows up an imaged world wherein we dwell; a world of the images of things seen and heard, and therefore a world of memories; a world also of hopes and desires, of fears and regrets. Mental life grows up among these images, built on a measuring and comparing, on the massing of images together into general ideas; on the abstraction of new notions and images from these; till a new world is built up within, full of desires and hates, ambition, envy, longing, speculation, curiosity, self-will, self-interest.

The teaching of the East is, that all these are true powers overlaid by false desires; that though in manifestation psychical, they are in essence spiritual; that the psychical man is the veil and prophecy of the spiritual man.

The purpose of life, therefore, is the realizing of that prophecy; the unveiling of the immortal man; the birth of the spiritual from the psychical, whereby we enter our divine inheritance and come to inhabit Eternity. This is, indeed, salvation, the purpose of all true religion, in all times.

Patanjali has in mind the spiritual man, to be born from the psychical. His purpose is, to set in order the practical means for the unveiling and regeneration, and to indicate the fruit, the glory and the power, of that new birth. ( Charles Johnston)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://universaltheosophy.com/articles/johnston/patanjalis-yoga-sutras/
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by Patanjali. Translated by Charles Johnston. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Patanjali. Translated by Charles Johnston. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by Patanjali. Translated by Charles Johnston."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename yogasutras_##_patanjali_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. yogasutras_01_patanjali_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 18th, 2020, 12:49 pm

My suspicion is that an online source like this you list will not be acceptable for LibriVox purposes. Here is a source for the first edition (1912), however, that will serve perhaps.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100434075

I will look for the second edition when I have a bit of time today.
In a gadda da vida, honey

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 18th, 2020, 12:50 pm

There are 3 versions of this in the catalog, all using Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2526
That doesn't mean you cannot do a 4th version if you want.

But please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
SciFi about mind reading intergalactic Secret Service member: Man of Many Minds

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 18th, 2020, 5:42 pm

I'm moving this to Book Suggestions until you've done the test, and (I hope) a little in a group project. When you're ready to do the solo, post in the thread, and an admin will move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 19th, 2020, 1:26 am

KevinS wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 12:49 pm
My suspicion is that an online source like this you list will not be acceptable for LibriVox purposes. Here is a source for the first edition (1912), however, that will serve perhaps.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100434075

I will look for the second edition when I have a bit of time today.
I have been in contact with Universal Theosophy who own the Theosophical Quarterly in which it was originally published. I suggested that I use the Gutenberg version to them but they told me to use the second edition (through the link I gave above) as there is a significant amount of fixes, improvements and revisions.

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 20th, 2020, 3:35 am

I have uploaded the first section under "tests - tests" as I do not yet have an MC, here is the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/yogasutrasofpatanjali_01_patanjali_128kb.mp3

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 20th, 2020, 6:21 am

Please do not upload any more audio until we okay the text source - and until you have an MC.

Thanks!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 20th, 2020, 8:59 pm

The good news is that your tech settings all check out ok, and the audio is crisp and clear. So there's one hurdle out of the way. :)

But, as Tricia said, we're still checking on the text source.

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 21st, 2020, 1:10 am

mightyfelix wrote:
July 20th, 2020, 8:59 pm
The good news is that your tech settings all check out ok, and the audio is crisp and clear. So there's one hurdle out of the way. :)

But, as Tricia said, we're still checking on the text source.
Thanks! I have finished all 4 sections and am ready to upload.

Just to clarify, the text source I gave is the official version from the organisation which is in charge of his work.

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 24th, 2020, 3:03 am

Hi, is there any update on the issues with the text source?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 24th, 2020, 3:14 pm

kylemaclean wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:03 am
kyle, I'm not an admin so I don't where the project stands, but I do know that these things sometimes take a bit of time to resolve. I'm sure no one has forgotten you.
In a gadda da vida, honey

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 25th, 2020, 10:58 am

KevinS wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:14 pm
kylemaclean wrote:
July 24th, 2020, 3:03 am
kyle, I'm not an admin so I don't where the project stands, but I do know that these things sometimes take a bit of time to resolve. I'm sure no one has forgotten you.
Ok thanks Kevin. :D

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » July 25th, 2020, 11:18 am

I cannot find any evidence of a 1917 edition, which, if it were changed as much as is said, should have acquired a new copyright.

I'm searching through the publication of copyrights, here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/historic.html#y1917
I've searched the books, pamphlets, and periodicals for 1916-1918 for both "yoga sutras" and "Charles Johnston" and have come up empty. (A couple of them wouldn't allow me to search properly, but they were in the less plausible sections (pamphlets).)

So what we would need to okay this, is some sort of proof of the 1917 edition - preferably, a scan or picture of the title page & copyright page. Basically, we need to show that the text on this page is in fact from a pre-1925 publication.

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 27th, 2020, 6:35 am

TriciaG wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 11:18 am
I cannot find any evidence of a 1917 edition, which, if it were changed as much as is said, should have acquired a new copyright.

I'm searching through the publication of copyrights, here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/cce/historic.html#y1917
I've searched the books, pamphlets, and periodicals for 1916-1918 for both "yoga sutras" and "Charles Johnston" and have come up empty. (A couple of them wouldn't allow me to search properly, but they were in the less plausible sections (pamphlets).)

So what we would need to okay this, is some sort of proof of the 1917 edition - preferably, a scan or picture of the title page & copyright page. Basically, we need to show that the text on this page is in fact from a pre-1925 publication.
Thanks for your efforts Tricia, I have asked Universal Theosophy for such evidence and will update this thread when I receive their response.

kylemaclean

Post by kylemaclean » July 27th, 2020, 10:11 am

TriciaG wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 11:18 am

I've now got some information:
Hi Kyle. Here's all the info you need.

The initial publication was in 1909-1910 in the magazine "The Theosophical Quarterly", starting on page 113 and serialized (it shows there "Copyright 1909 Charles Johnston").

Index: http://www.austheos.org.au/indices/THQLY_.HTM
See Vol. 7, p. 113: http://iapsop.com/archive/materials/theosophical_quarterly/

The first edition published as a book was in 1912. See attached pdf.

The second edition was published in 1917, but the copyright in the opening pages still reads 1912. See Book 1, Verse 5, for the first instance of a revision between the 1912 and 1917 editions. Here's a link to download that edition:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g48e6ewjm3ilg33/yoga_sutras_johnston_1917.pdf?dl=0

That should be more than enough for them.

Sincerely,
Jon Fergus
Here is the pdf attachment to the email: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ti-a1NlOPp-1gOvTCSU-omrREQ4toAfe/view?usp=sharing