COMPLETE [FICTION] GROUP: Jean-Christophe, Volume I by Romain Rolland-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.25,26 PL OK :thumbs:
Joshua, I like your one-liners for each section. Please continue, and at the end we could compile a summary for the novel :lol:
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

chulsky wrote: January 16th, 2021, 5:24 pm Sec.25,26 PL OK :thumbs:
Joshua, I like your one-liners for each section. Please continue, and at the end we could compile a summary for the novel :lol:
Indeed. I have had that on my mind for a while, too!
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
agkar23

Post by agkar23 »

saludos mi estimado. me gustaría ser tenido en cuenta ya que esta es mi primera vez, estoy interesado en leer la sección 37- revolt 1, part 1. el seudónimo con el que quisiera ser nombrado es "agcar23".
tengo una duda que quisiera fuera aclarada ¿es válido que grabe en español?, ya que veo el texto del libro solo en el idioma inglés y no se si esto es solo para ser gravado en dicho idioma. gracias
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

agkar23 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 8:56 pm saludos mi estimado. me gustaría ser tenido en cuenta ya que esta es mi primera vez, estoy interesado en leer la sección 37- revolt 1, part 1. el seudónimo con el que quisiera ser nombrado es "agcar23".
tengo una duda que quisiera fuera aclarada ¿es válido que grabe en español?, ya que veo el texto del libro solo en el idioma inglés y no se si esto es solo para ser gravado en dicho idioma. gracias
Dear Agkar23,
This book is recorded in English, but here is a project in Spanish: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=84791
There is a whole forum for languages other than English: viewforum.php?f=60
But if you wish to try your English skills, you are welcome here too!
Good luck :D
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_27_rolland_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 27. Duration 26:37
We meet the indolent enchantress.
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

Hi Mark, please note that lately I have had to refer a few times to the original French when the English seemed a bit nonsensical. Among the things I sought to verify was "Charles' Wain" referring to the constellation we know as "Big Dipper." It turns out this is a valid alternative name for this constellation, "Charles" referring to King Charles, and "Wain" being a synonym for Wagon. In the original French, however, the words are "Chariot de David," i.e., King David's Chariot. Turns out, this is what it's called in parts of Ireland. Why Cannan didn't translate it literally, we can only guess, but I stuck with his choice. In other places, I did alter the translation where I felt it was only a matter of errors arising, perhaps, during OCR, or due to typos in the original translation, most often missing little words - just so you know, in case you find yourself following along in the text and hearing a discrepancy.
--Joshua
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_28_rolland_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 28. Duration 24:30
One love unrequited; the other ill-fated and scorned.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.27 PL OK :thumbs:
jpseeger wrote: January 17th, 2021, 12:06 pm
... In other places, I did alter the translation where I felt it was only a matter of errors arising, perhaps, during OCR, or due to typos in the original translation, most often missing little words - just so you know, in case you find yourself following along in the text and hearing a discrepancy.
Joshua, this project asks for a standard PL. I go to the text only if something sounds odd.
If you fix a typo, then most likely I won't notice, and you'd be right to do so in obvious cases, but if you are not sure, please alert us to the confusing text, and hopefully Yuqing and we all together would figure it out :-)
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

chulsky wrote: January 19th, 2021, 6:29 pmJoshua, this project asks for a standard PL. I go to the text only if something sounds odd.
If you fix a typo, then most likely I won't notice, and you'd be right to do so in obvious cases, but if you are not sure, please alert us to the confusing text, and hopefully Yuqing and we all together would figure it out :-)
Thank you, Joshua and Mark! That's a great way to handle this kind of situation.
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.28 PL OK :thumbs: Loves galore!
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/jeanchristophevol1_29_rolland_128kb.mp3
Here is Section 29. Duration 23:16
Foolish, foolish love. How painful it can be! Darkening clouds portend tragedy.
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

Hi Yuqing and Mark, I need help with some Italian text in Section 30. In the English edition, it is:
"he son gia morto: e ben, c'albergo cangi resto in te vivo. C'or mi vedi e piangi, se l'un nell' altro amante si trasforma."

In the French edition on Gutenberg, it is:
"Ne son gia morto; e ben c'albergo cangi, resto in te vivo, c'or mi vedi e piangi, se l'un nell'altro amante si trasforma."

The English that follows it is:
"I am not dead: I have changed my dwelling. I live still in thee who art faithful to me. The soul of the beloved is merged in the soul of the lover."

Neither versions of the Italian translates to this English. In fact, "Ne son gia morto" apparently means "I am already dead." and the rest of it differs considerably from the English, as well. I believe the way one says "I am not dead" is "Non sono morto." If the "gia" has to be there, then "Non sono gia morto" would mean "I am not already dead." That would fix the first phrase, but the rest of it is still a puzzle.

What do you suggest?
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jpseeger wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:33 pm Hi Yuqing and Mark, I need help with some Italian text in Section 30. ...
What do you suggest?
Hi Joshua,
The Librivox guidance is simple: follow what's written on the page. The variations in the Italian text might be explained by different French editions, one in the Gutenberg, the other used by Mr. Cannan. Let's just assume he knew what he was doing, especially if his translation makes sense.
MaryAnn might correct me if I am missing something.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mark's right ... we read what the author wrote, even if the translation makes no sense to us, that is what was published so that's what we read.
MaryAnn
jpseeger

Post by jpseeger »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 24th, 2021, 7:12 pm Mark's right ... we read what the author wrote, even if the translation makes no sense to us, that is what was published so that's what we read.
MaryAnn
Thank you both. I have read it as written with one tiny exception. I changed "he" to "ne" (meaning neither) allowing for the distinct possibility that the n was mistaken for an h by OCR, and also because "ne" is consistent with the French edition. Finally, "neither am I already dead" brings us closer to "I am not dead."