COMPLETE: A History of American Political Theories by C. Edward Merriam - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kristakz

Post by kristakz »

A History of American Political Theories by C. Edward Merriam (1874–1953).

Adopted by Kristakz, who will edit the existing files to get this into the catalog. PL found for the edited sections.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/a-history-of-american-political-theories-by-charles-edward-merriam/
A description and analysis of the characteristic types of political theory that have from time to time been dominant in American political life. ( William Archibald Dunning)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/ahistoryamerica00merrgoog/page/n8/mode/1up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Political Science

Keywords that describe the book: political theory, political science, political philospophy

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of A History of American Political Theories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "A History of American Political Theories, by Charles Edward Merriam. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of A History of American Political Theories by Charles Edward Merriam. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A History of American Political Theories, by Charles Edward Merriam. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename americanpoliticaltheories_##_merriam_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. americanpoliticaltheories_01_merriam_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Ignore tags. They are completed automatically during the catalog process.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by kristakz on February 15th, 2022, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krista
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm happy to set this up for you, BUT there are two things we need to straighten out beforehand:

1) is this really the book you want to read? Because the name you gave is the person the book is dedicated to. The author is Charles Edward Merriam :wink:

2) If this is the right book, I'd like you to read from this version please, since it is from 1915 and clearly public domain in the US (which is necessary for LV):
https://archive.org/details/ahistoryamerica00merrgoog/page/n8/mode/1up
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

Availle wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:06 am I'm happy to set this up for you, BUT there are two things we need to straighten out beforehand:

1) is this really the book you want to read? Because the name you gave is the person the book is dedicated to. The author is Charles Edward Merriam :wink:

2) If this is the right book, I'd like you to read from this version please, since it is from 1915 and clearly public domain in the US (which is necessary for LV):
https://archive.org/details/ahistoryamerica00merrgoog/page/n8/mode/1up
Yes to #1 and #2. Thanks!

-f
linny

Post by linny »

I can MC this for you. I'll be back momentarily to explain everything.
linny

Post by linny »

I have changed the text link to the one that you and Ava agreed on.

As a soloist you are also the Book Coordinator (BC). As such you are responsible for maintaining the MW. Here are log in instructions: Workflow instructions for BC's and DPL's:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ
Also in the wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/BC%27s:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

Please keep in mind that the password is different than your regular LV password.

You will need to update the titles. Insert your uploaded links, note the file duration, and toggle the workflow to "Ready for PL" or "Ready for Spot check".

Please let me know that you have accessed the MW and then we will head over to Going Solo.

As you begin recording you may find that some sections are too long. We have a max of 72 minutes. Let me know if you run into that and we can review the process at that time.
cimt

Post by cimt »

I would like to be the DPL.
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
linny

Post by linny »

cimt wrote: July 11th, 2020, 11:24 am I would like to be the DPL.
Thank you, Carisa. You're all set.

I haven't heard from the reader since I set up the MW. I would like to know they have access before I move us. I'll hold us here a little longer.
linny

Post by linny »

To keep the Launch Pad tidy, I'm moving this thread to suggestions until the reader returns. Just post in this thread when you are ready to get started. :thumbs:
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

Hello All,

Sorry I was on vacation. I am able to access the MW editor per the "The New LibriVox Project Management System FAQ for Book Coordinators" document.

-f
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

linny wrote: July 18th, 2020, 12:25 pm To keep the Launch Pad tidy, I'm moving this thread to suggestions until the reader returns. Just post in this thread when you are ready to get started. :thumbs:
Hello All,

Sorry I was on vacation. I am able to access the MW editor per the "The New LibriVox Project Management System FAQ for Book Coordinators" document.

-f
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

cimt

Post by cimt »

farooqamahmud wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:54 am Section 0 ready for PL. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/americanpoliticaltheories_00_merriam_128kb.mp3
Length - 4:03
Sorry it took me awhile to listen but it is PL OK. Good Job
Carisa

"Anything's better than lying and deceit." -Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

cimt wrote: August 11th, 2020, 10:04 am
farooqamahmud wrote: August 9th, 2020, 11:54 am Section 0 ready for PL. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/linny/americanpoliticaltheories_00_merriam_128kb.mp3
Length - 4:03
Sorry it took me awhile to listen but it is PL OK. Good Job
Excellent. Thanks!
linny

Post by linny »

farooqamahmud wrote: July 28th, 2020, 12:52 pm Hello All,

-f
Are you still with us? It's been almost two months since you have posted a file. I hope all is well. Please check in.
farooqamahmud

Post by farooqamahmud »

linny wrote: October 4th, 2020, 5:55 am
farooqamahmud wrote: July 28th, 2020, 12:52 pm Hello All,

-f
Are you still with us? It's been almost two months since you have posted a file. I hope all is well. Please check in.
Hi,

Yes, all good now. Sorry about the lack of updates. Chapters 1, 2, and 3 are ready for PL.

-f