LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 18th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Chapter 8 is also PL OK!
Leni
=================

The Natural History volume 5 needs you! Only ONE section to go! :D

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Leni, I've fixed the beginning of Chapter 6 (Freudian slip?) and it is ready for your spot check. Thanks for your kind words about the chapter on crocheted rugs. My dad's mother was the crocheter and, although I've done some, it's not really my thing. I'm on to Chapter 12 next (hooked rugs), which was my mother's mother's thing and the reason I wanted to record this book. The chapter is long and it will likely be a week or so before it is ready for you.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 24th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Joanne, I think there is something weird with the window. Are you going to read the Preface? Because I think there was a Preface, but now there is no Preface in the window, but there still is a section 00, which is making all chapter number mismatched with the files.

Also, I am unable to download the file for section 09... could you please upload it again? I think the upload might have failed.
Leni
=================

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 25th, 2020, 9:36 am

Oh dear, I've screwed this up somewhere. I have to split the chapter on hooked rugs into two files--it exceeds the 72 minute limit as a single file--so I moved the preface line in the Magic Window down to that spot. That's what caused the mismatch between line numbers and chapter numbers. And once there are two parts to the chapter on hooked rugs, the lines below them won't match the chapter numbers either. I'm not sure how to fix this, and it sure makes things confusing.

In any event, I have re-uploaded Chapter 9 (now on line 8!) and double-checked that it is there.

I have finished recording the chapter on hooked rugs, in two parts, but I'll wait to upload them until I can get the line number problem fixed (if it can be). As always, no rush on my part for you to proof them, just trying to work around my schedule here.

Thanks much,

Joanne

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » July 25th, 2020, 10:09 am

In your PM you indicated you were not interested in reading the preface. I eliminated the 00 section number (we can always change it back). Everything lines ups again and I gave you an extra blank section at the bottom of the MW in case there is another chapter which needs to be split. If you need more then when you log into the MW at the top of the screen is a rectangular button 'add section'.

We have many projects where the section numbers and chapters don't match. We just prefer not to do that with 00. Don't worry about the next chapters being on increased numbers. We can't have multiple sections with the same number. Using the title to distinguish part 1 and part 2 works. If you want to list the chapter numbers in the title, that would be fine as well.

Example:
Section 1 - Title: 1 - The Renaissance of Rugcraft
Section 12 - Title: 12 - Hooked Rugs, part 1
Section 13 - Title: 12 - Hooked Rugs, part 2

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 25th, 2020, 11:19 am

Yup, what linny said! It was just the 00 section that was weird without the Preface. But the rest is just fine, no problem in splitting chapters at all. Chapters 2 and 6 are PL OK now and I have chapter 9 downloaded and working. :D
Leni
=================

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 25th, 2020, 11:31 am

Thanks so much, both of you! I think that will get me back on track.

Joanne

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 25th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Leni, I've uploaded both parts of Chapter 12 (hooked rugs) for your PL. Recording it brought back lots of memories of my grandmother in her chair by the window, a rug and frame on her lap and piles of cut wool on it, just as the writer suggests. She would haunt our local thrift store for flannel trousers to cut into narrow strips. If she couldn't find the color she wanted, she would dye her own from white flannel. And my hand still remembers the little twist you give the hook below the surface of the rug to grab the wool and pull it up to the front of the rug--even after what must be 50 years. Amazing. :9:

The remaining chapters are all fairly short. I'm aiming to have them finished by the middle of August or so.

Again, thanks much for listening.

Joanne

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 25th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Sections 1 and 9 are PL OK!

Those are nice memories indeed. My grandmother was such an acomplished artisan: she could knit, crochet, paint... she always had her hands busy with making something beautiful.I now regret not having learned more from her - she passed when I was 16.

All the best,
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Section 10, at the very beginning, again we have HomeMADE rugs. :lol: Other than that, the section is perfect.
Leni
=================

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 28th, 2020, 6:27 am

Aarrgghh! I am so sorry; you should not have to deal with my mistakes! I have printed the title in big letters and posted it right over my mic so that I will get it right from now on, and have double-checked Chapter 11 to make sure those are right before you PL them. I have also re-recorded the intro to Chapter 10 but am having technical difficulties exporting it that have me stumped (at least for now).

Thanks much,

Joanne

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » July 28th, 2020, 6:31 am

Let us know what the exporting issue is. We may be able to help, especially if you are using Audacity.

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » July 28th, 2020, 6:34 am

Don't worry, Joanne! That is what PLers are for, to find these tiny things that slip - it's natural, we are all human! You have so very few mistakes in your recordings anyway, and they are very pleasant to listen to.

Let us know if you need help with the exporting or anything.
Leni
=================

jhturner

Post by jhturner » July 28th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Linny and Leni, I've sent an inquiry to Audacity's help forum but I'm not sure when I would get a response. (Not that I'm in any big hurry.) Here is the issue. I recorded Chapter 10 (and everything before that) on a different computer. When I got this new one (which is dedicated to recording), I copied the completed chapters to a thumbdrive and re-saved them on the new computer in Audacity. I made the indicated correction to Chapter 10 and was able to again save it in Audacity, but it will not export as an MP3. I get the error message "Audacity failed to read from a file in C:." I take that to mean that Audacity cannot find the file? I have tried again opening the chapter on the thumbdrive, and again saving it to Audacity, and it still will not export. I have also tried saving it to a different place on the new computer, but get the same message when trying to export. I'd like to avoid re-recording the entire chapter, especially without knowing for sure that I will be able to export the re-recorded version, but am willing to do it to get the project done. I could also try hooking up the old computer, making the correction, and try to export and upload it from there. But I'd sure like to know what the problem is, in case it happens again. I have seen a Youtube video that recommends exporting the problem file a chunk at a time, but I don't see that as particularly helpful in my case.

Any thoughts you have will be most appreciated.

As always,

Joanne

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » July 29th, 2020, 5:23 am

I keep a folder on my computer and copy all the files there. From there I can open with audacity. I don’t really understand what you mean by saving it to audacity. That’s just not something I do.

Have you tried our Help I have an Audacity problem thread? You’ll likely get a faster reply. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40238&start=1155