loon

Post by loon » July 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm

reecedawg wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 9:43 am
First section is up (4:40):

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/buffalobillentrapped_00_ingraham_128kb.mp3
Section 00 is PL OK.

Really - really - really - really optional:

For this new book you might consider running the Audacity noise reduction filter on each chapter as a part of your editing process. I tried it on this section using the silence just before your "End of Introduction..." closer as my noise sample, and the default settings on noise reduction. There was no real audible change, but the result looked nicer on the meters - before noise reduction: noise floor dancing around near -55 dB, after noise reduction, noise floor off scale on the meters.

Please note: I don't use noise reduction on my recordings, so you can see just how "strongly" I endorse it (so - not at all). By the way, I did an Analyze > Plot Spectrum on your closing silence and found that much of the noise in there is right at 120 Hz, so it's likely due to the power supply on your computer - that's quite common.
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

reecedawg

Post by reecedawg » July 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm

loon wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Section 00 is PL OK.

Really - really - really - really optional:

For this new book you might consider running the Audacity noise reduction filter on each chapter as a part of your editing process. I tried it on this section using the silence just before your "End of Introduction..." closer as my noise sample, and the default settings on noise reduction. There was no real audible change, but the result looked nicer on the meters - before noise reduction: noise floor dancing around near -55 dB, after noise reduction, noise floor off scale on the meters.

Please note: I don't use noise reduction on my recordings, so you can see just how "strongly" I endorse it (so - not at all). By the way, I did an Analyze > Plot Spectrum on your closing silence and found that much of the noise in there is right at 120 Hz, so it's likely due to the power supply on your computer - that's quite common.
Thanks, Rich!

I do run a noise-clean on my files, but I have the sensitivity fairly low to avoid digital artifacts and similar distortions. I will play around with it a bit and see if I can wiggle out some of that latent noise.

This book might be a slow-go... I am going to have to rehearse some of the "frontier dialect" parts quite a bit. I tried tackling the first chapter cold, but I gave up halfway in. Ah well, quality trumps expediency.
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman

loon

Post by loon » July 13th, 2020, 3:48 am

reecedawg wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm
I do run a noise-clean on my files, but I have the sensitivity fairly low to avoid digital artifacts and similar distortions. I will play around with it a bit and see if I can wiggle out some of that latent noise.
I'm with you on sticking with those light settings on noise reduction - it's so much better to have a bit of noise in a recording than an over-processed sound.

reecedawg wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm
This book might be a slow-go... I am going to have to rehearse some of the "frontier dialect" parts quite a bit. I tried tackling the first chapter cold, but I gave up halfway in. Ah well, quality trumps expediency.
Getting consistent dialects for characters in a book is tough. I have particular trouble if someone in a story goes away for a couple chapters and then re-appears. Arrrgh!
Rich Brown
FullLoon.com

reecedawg

Post by reecedawg » August 1st, 2020, 9:08 pm

I'm still here! :)

Not much time to record at present, while we are getting ready for a new school year to start. Things are wacky, to say the least.

I hope to be back to recording later this month, once whatever routines might be happening this year are in place.
"After the dazzle of day is gone,
Only the dark, dark night shows to my eyes the stars;
After the clangor of organ majestic, or chorus, or perfect band,
Silent, athwart my soul, moves the symphony true."
Walt Whitman