[COMPLETE]The Life of Christ by Farrar-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 25th, 2020, 10:31 am Ok, Paul, I've added in Larry as your DPL. I think you'll like him. :)

I'll wait for confirmation that you're able to get into the MW before I move us to Going Solo.
Thank you. I look forward to working with DPL.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

First upload!
Title: The Life of Christ
Audio File: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/lifeofchrist_preface_farrar_128kb.mp3
Length: 39:20
Text File: https://archive.org/details/lifeofchrist00farruoft
(Note: I had originally accessed this title from a point where you could download in multiple formats. This link doesn't seem to do that. I will try and see if that is a different URL so that Larry can choose which format he prefers).
Thanks to everyone who helped me get started.

Paul
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

callisterp wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:49 am First upload!
Audio File: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/lifeofchrist_preface_farrar_128kb.mp3
(Note: I had originally accessed this title from a point where you could download in multiple formats. This link doesn't seem to do that. I will try and see if that is a different URL so that Larry can choose which format he prefers).

Paul
For some reason, the following URL allows you to select the format you want to use as well as read online--https://archive.org/stream/lifeofchrist00farruoft?ref=ol#mode/2up

I also have downloaded the PDF version and can facilitate getting it to Larry or anyone else who needs it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

callisterp wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:49 am First upload!

Paul
Nice work so far. You need to enter this link into the MW. As a soloist, that is your responsibility. Please go back and reread my earlier post, here: viewtopic.php?p=1723610#p1723610

Please also review the naming criteria in the first post. This file should be named lifeofchrist_00_farrar_128kb
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

A steep learning curve.

I've read the "First Time Accessing the System Document," but on the first step, if I try loging in at the Librivox Managment Tool clicking "Login for BCs and MCs" I get directed to a page that says "You don't have permission for this area."

I'll try again tomorrow.

Paul
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

callisterp wrote: May 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm A steep learning curve.

I've read the "First Time Accessing the System Document," but on the first step, if I try loging in at the Librivox Managment Tool clicking "Login for BCs and MCs" I get directed to a page that says "You don't have permission for this area."

I'll try again tomorrow.

Paul
Are you trying to login with your existing username and password? Or are you leaving the password field blank and clicking "Forgot password"? It is actually a different system than the one we use to post in the forum, so you need to set up a password for that system.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 27th, 2020, 7:17 pm
callisterp wrote: May 27th, 2020, 7:08 pm A steep learning curve.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Paul
Are you trying to login with your existing username and password? Or are you leaving the password field blank and clicking "Forgot password"? It is actually a different system than the one we use to post in the forum, so you need to set up a password for that system.

I'm not doing "forgot password." I'm just doing step one from your "first time accessing the system," your first image. I follow the link in the instructions. I hit the bottom button, "Login for (BC's & MC's)," and I get a screen saying I don't have access in that area. I tried logging out of forum this morning to make sure that wasn't somehow conflicting with the new login, but that's not the problem. I've closed and reopened my Chrom browser. I will try erasing my cookies, but I get the same error. I just can't get past step one in your instructions.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Interesting. I don't know whether I've encountered that. I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Hope I'm not intruding, but I've had this problem happen to me. Once you get to that 'no permissions' screen, there should be a 'log out' button. Try clicking that, then starting again from step 1.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Campbell! The information I've found seems to agree that that should work. Some other suggestions are to clear the cookies from your browser or to use a different browser.

Paul, please keep me posted on whether any of these ideas solve the problem for you.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Today, the reregistration of my password worked! I have changed the file name for the preface to "00" and uploaded. I've added the link and duration to the MW and indicated it is ready for a PL.
Thanks for all of the help!

Paul
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wonderful! In that case, I will go ahead and move this thread over to Going Solo.

I recommend that you go ahead and fill in the rest of the chapter titles in the MW as well. I think some soloists prefer to fill them in as they go, but I think it's best to do it up front. For one thing, it helps you familiarize yourself with the book, but it also helps to ensure that the project is set up correctly from the get-go.

Good luck, and please let me know if you run into any other difficulties!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mightyfelix wrote: May 29th, 2020, 1:22 pm Wonderful! In that case, I will go ahead and move this thread over to Going Solo.

I recommend that you go ahead and fill in the rest of the chapter titles in the MW as well. I think some soloists prefer to fill them in as they go, but I think it's best to do it up front. For one thing, it helps you familiarize yourself with the book, but it also helps to ensure that the project is set up correctly from the get-go.

Good luck, and please let me know if you run into any other difficulties!
It helps your DPL as well. :wink:

I'll have your first PL report for you soon.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I think you are off to a good start.

All those names, but you got through them.

The only suggestion I would make is to do some noise reduction. I found the strength of the background hum distracting. I would recommend doing this on all of your recordings. For this one, I would go to the Noise Reduction feature under the Effects menu, select for the noise sample your closing silence, then set it to about 12 and run it on the file. Then you can upload it again under the same file name. While you're at it, trim the final silence down to just five seconds. If you need help on this, just let me know.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of your recording of this book. :thumbs:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Thanks Larry. I will look more into noise reduction. When I looked at last week, the function seemed to want a several-second sample of the background noise without any talking. I didn't have that, so I didn't run it. I will now try it on the whole file and see what happens.

And yes, the names almost killed me, as well as the references in Greek and latin.

Paul