[COMPLETE]The Life of Christ by Farrar-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GillH

Post by GillH »

The Life of Christ by Frederic Farrar (1831 - 1903).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-christ-by-frederic-farrar/

This is an abandoned solo, revived by GillH!
The author, Frederic W. Farrar, was a Doctor of Divinity, and Fellow of the Royal Society, and at the time of publication of this edition, a late fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, Canon of Westminster, and Chaplain in Ordinary to the Queen. Covering the scope of Christ's life, death, and resurrection, the book is written by a believer to believers, although certainly nonbelievers may find it enlightening. The author does not shrink from the miracles of Christ’s life, as described in the Gospels, but views his Lord as the supreme lawgiver of nature’s laws. Dr. Farrar enriches his work with his firsthand acquaintance of the Holy Land, his exhaustive study of other scholars (including many Jewish sources), and his intimate knowledge of Biblical Greek, Latin and other languages. Christ’s story is beautifully told, with continual observations that are rich with religious insight and context. The print text provides footnotes, not included here, that even the most fastidious scholar will find a sufficient buttress for this exhaustive work. Among religious scholars and believers, The Life of Christ, is considered a classic, withstanding the test of time. ( Paul Douglas Callister)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/lifeofchrist00farruoft/
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, Jésus Christ

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Christ. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Life of Christ, by Frederic Farrar. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life of Christ by Frederic Farrar. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life of Christ, by Frederic Farrar. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename lifeofchrist_##_farrar_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lifeofchrist_01_farrar_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Frederic Farrar
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Life of Christ

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, this is an ambitious work for a first solo! Do you have a DPL?

I can set it up for you. Give me a few minutes.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The scan you've linked to has no printed copyright date, so I can't be sure that it was published before 1925 (likely, but I can't prove it). How about this one instead? https://archive.org/details/lifechrist00unkngoog/ It has a clear copyright date, and may even be easier to read (it is for me, certainly).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, you are set up. Now, as a soloist, you'll act as your own BC. This means that it's your responsibility to keep the MW updated, entering your upload links and run times and changing the status of each section as needed. There is a separate login to get to that tool than the login you use for the forum. Here's how to get set up and log in for the first time: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

Once you're in, this will help you understand how to update things: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I've filled in the first few chapter titles to give you an example. Page numbers are optional, but I find them helpful. Go ahead and fill in the rest, and let me know if you have any trouble.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:01 pm Well, this is an ambitious work for a first solo! Do you have a DPL?

I can set it up for you. Give me a few minutes.
Hi, I don't have a DPL. Yes, it is ambitious. It will require patience and a lot of work, but such is the nature of my professional life. So, I hope it will transfer over to this new activity. Thanks for you assistance. I look forward to uploading content.

Paul
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, this certainly is a classic.
I think one of those works that often appears in bibliographies but not so often actually read. So, I think this is a tremendous project. If you are willing to put in the work to record it, I'd be glad to join you as DPL.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, Paul, I've added in Larry as your DPL. I think you'll like him. :)

I'll wait for confirmation that you're able to get into the MW before I move us to Going Solo.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm The scan you've linked to has no printed copyright date, so I can't be sure that it was published before 1925 (likely, but I can't prove it). How about this one instead? https://archive.org/details/lifechrist00unkngoog/ It has a clear copyright date, and may even be easier to read (it is for me, certainly).
I am new here, and so I do not wish to make any waves. I do appreciate copyright concerns. I teach copyright law as a professor of law and library director at my law school.

First, and probably most importantly, I note that from the version I have suggested, in the middle of image 10, there is a hand inscribed date, April 28, 1890. This may have been the date the actual book was sold, or a librarian's notation as to the date of publication, probably the former since publication dates generally don't include anything but the year, if that. The publication is no newer than that date.

Second, I also checked the bibliographic records for the work available on OCLC's World Catalog (having records from over 10,000 libraries). I find records for the work for the same publisher, Cassell, Peter and Galpin, but only for publications in the years 1874 (2 volumes), 1880 and 1883 (5 volumes), 1896 (712 pages, we have about 775, depending on how you count), 1884 (no information), 1906 (8 volumes), 1914 (wrong number of pages). Most importantly, I found no bibliographic records for Life of Christ with the publisher, Cassell, Peter and Galpin, after 1914.

The closest record I found was for a single volume work with 776 pages, published in "18--". It mentions the color map, it is a single volume work, and it may be our edition. I note the OCLC no. as 1032956454.

The record is for a book held in Bibliothèque et Archives Canada / Library and Archives Canada. Our book came from the University of Toronto Library, (see the inside back jacket). I believe this is my edition.

Finally, as a point of law, even if within the copyright period, you can't copyright anything in successive editions of works that are otherwise in the public domain but the new introductions by the printer or reviser. Otherwise, publishers could capture works indefinitely by constantly issuing reprints and new editions.

I only go to this trouble because this evening I finished recording and editing the "Preface" for my selected version. I like this version. It was easy to download, and I find it readable.

However, if the consensus is against me, I will start over with your suggested version.

Paul
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Let me ask an opinion of the other admins, and I'll get back to you. It sounds like you know more than most of us, to be honest, but we don't have the resources to do extensive checks on each book that seems to be in a gray area, and so we try to be consistent with the criteria we use.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

All right, so another admin was kind enough to do some research on the publishing house for the version you linked. The publisher of this edition is Cassell, Petter & Galpin. It appears that prior to 1858, they operated as Petter and Galpin, and then became Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Company in 1878. That circumstance allows us to be confident in accepting it in this case.

While the points you've made above make a strong circumstantial case, they still don't constitute proof. The reason we use such abundance of caution is because we don't have a lawyer or any kind of legal team, or even funding. So if there's a copyright challenge, we don't fight it, we just pull the recording. It's happened before, and it's a shame to lose the hard work that the reader put in.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Also, I still need confirmation that you've been able to edit the MW before I move us from the Launch Pad. Thanks!
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 26th, 2020, 8:09 pm Let me ask an opinion of the other admins, and I'll get back to you. It sounds like you know more than most of us, to be honest, but we don't have the resources to do extensive checks on each book that seems to be in a gray area, and so we try to be consistent with the criteria we use.
Thank you. I recognize organizations need consistent rules to function, but I do hope you will accept the date on image 10 of the book as evidence of its publication well prior to 1925.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 26th, 2020, 9:38 pm Also, I still need confirmation that you've been able to edit the MW before I move us from the Launch Pad. Thanks!
Understood!
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

mightyfelix wrote: May 26th, 2020, 9:28 pm All right, so another admin was kind enough to do some research on the publishing house for the version you linked. The publisher of this edition is Cassell, Petter & Galpin. It appears that prior to 1858, they operated as Petter and Galpin, and then became Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Company in 1878. That circumstance allows us to be confident in accepting it in this case.

While the points you've made above make a strong circumstantial case, they still don't constitute proof. The reason we use such abundance of caution is because we don't have a lawyer or any kind of legal team, or even funding. So if there's a copyright challenge, we don't fight it, we just pull the recording. It's happened before, and it's a shame to lose the hard work that the reader put in.
Mighty Felix,

Thank you. I’m sorry to have made more work for you. I hope to do the work justice.

I wholly appreciate the lack of legal research resources.

Pay
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Paul