[COMPLETE]The Life of Christ by Farrar-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

silverquill wrote: May 29th, 2020, 10:45 pm Well, I think you are off to a good start.

All those names, but you got through them.

The only suggestion I would make is to do some noise reduction. I found the strength of the background hum distracting. I would recommend doing this on all of your recordings. For this one, I would go to the Noise Reduction feature under the Effects menu, select for the noise sample your closing silence, then set it to about 12 and run it on the file. Then you can upload it again under the same file name. While you're at it, trim the final silence down to just five seconds. If you need help on this, just let me know.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of your recording of this book. :thumbs:
Larry, I ran noise reduction, but the volume dropped through the floor, even after applying the maximum amplification. I may need to focus on the sections that have the worst humming. I certainly, certainly can trim the end silence.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

callisterp wrote: May 31st, 2020, 11:25 am
silverquill wrote: May 29th, 2020, 10:45 pm Well, I think you are off to a good start.

All those names, but you got through them.

The only suggestion I would make is to do some noise reduction. I found the strength of the background hum distracting. I would recommend doing this on all of your recordings. For this one, I would go to the Noise Reduction feature under the Effects menu, select for the noise sample your closing silence, then set it to about 12 and run it on the file. Then you can upload it again under the same file name. While you're at it, trim the final silence down to just five seconds. If you need help on this, just let me know.

Looking forward to listening to the rest of your recording of this book. :thumbs:
Larry, I ran noise reduction, but the volume dropped through the floor, even after applying the maximum amplification. I may need to focus on the sections that have the worst humming. I certainly, certainly can trim the end silence.
Hmmm. I'm not sure what you did, but noise reduction at that level should have only a minimal effect on volume. In fact, I did the noise reduction just so it would be more comfortable to listen to. And, I routinely do this on all of my recordings.

Here is how I do it.
First I highlight a section to use as a sample. In this case the closing silence works well. (Sometime the opening space is good. I always leave 3-5 seconds to work with before I begin reading and just trim it to under 1 sec when I edit) Then, I select Noise Reduction from the Effects menu. From the pop up window I select "Get Noise Profile" at the top. Then, highlight the entire recording, and go back and select Noise Reduction again. I set mine to 12dB which seems to work well without degrading the audio. Then select "OK" and noise reduction will be applied to the whole file.

I make sure the beginning and ending silences are adjusted and then export.
I will check volume either with Checker or by using the Audacity plugin, ReplayGain.

I can give you the links to these if you don't have them. They save me a ton of time.

Hope this helps.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

I followed your directions and that worked. I hadn't been collecting the right sampling info. I have filtered the "Preface" and Chapter 1. The Preface has been reloaded, and chapter 1 has been uploaded. The MV has been updated.

Thanks for all of your help and being willing to listen.

Paul
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Chapters 1 and 2 have been uploaded to the MV and are ready for reading. Noise reduction has been applied as requested.
Thanks for your help!

Paul
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

I believe I have mislabled the metatags in the mp3 files for chapters 1 and 2, by just giving them numbers instead of the title names for the chapters. Please advise.

Paul
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Don't worry about metatags. They'll all be changed during cataloguing anyway. You can leave them blank on upcoming sections, if you like.
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Many thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

callisterp wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 4:01 pm Chapters 1 and 2 have been uploaded to the MV and are ready for reading. Noise reduction has been applied as requested.
Thanks for your help!

Paul
Sorry to be a little late with my report, Paul.
Took a lot of overtime hours on my job last week.

Anyway, everything sounds good, so you're definitely on the right track.
The only thing to change is at the end of the recordings. You should include the chapter number. This helps the listener to follow the place.
So, just say, "End of Chapter 1" and "End of Chapter 2, " etc.

And, as long as you are changing that, add a new five-second of silence. I can hear you moving around in what you have now. So, when you finish, just sit still for five or more seconds so we don't get those shuffling noises. Then just trim it to the 5 seconds.

Just upload your files under the same file name, and post a note here when you've done so and I'll spot check them.
And, yes, do not worry at all about the meta tags; just leave them blank.

Looking forward to the rest of the book!
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Larry,

I've made the changes to chapters one and two as you have requested. Chapter three is in the final editing stages. Thanks for listening on this project, and for all of the advice.

Paul
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

callisterp wrote: June 9th, 2020, 10:09 am Larry,

I've made the changes to chapters one and two as you have requested. Chapter three is in the final editing stages. Thanks for listening on this project, and for all of the advice.

Paul
Good.
Now PL OK.
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Larry,

Chapter 3 is ready for PL. Thanks for all you do.

Paul
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

callisterp wrote: June 11th, 2020, 3:17 pm Larry,

Chapter 3 is ready for PL. Thanks for all you do.

Paul
Oh, I'm sorry; I forgot to update this after I did the listening.
But, it is PL OK :thumbs:
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Larry,

It's been longer than I like between chapters due to a back problem, which is restricting the amount of time I can sit at a computer. However, chapter 4 is finally ready. Just be patient with me.

Paul
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

callisterp wrote: July 2nd, 2020, 3:11 pm Larry,

It's been longer than I like between chapters due to a back problem, which is restricting the amount of time I can sit at a computer. However, chapter 4 is finally ready. Just be patient with me.

Paul
Sorry to hear of the back problems, Paul.
But don't worry about the pace - entirely up to you and what you are able to do.
I'm here for the duration

PL OK
~ Larry
callisterp

Post by callisterp »

Thanks Larry. I am continually amazed at the generosity of Librivox volunteers.