SOLO Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John by Victorinus - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 19th, 2020, 11:46 am

Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John by Victorinus of Pettau ( - 303). Translated by Arthur Cleveland Coxe, (1818-1896)

This commentary is said to have been composed around 260, making it the earliest surviving commentary on Revelation. The author, St. Victorinus of Pettau (d. 303) flourished about 270, and was martyred during the Roman persecutions under Emperor Diocletian. The commentary does not cover every verse but focuses instead on key passages, giving mostly allegorical interpretations. He saw the Apocalypse as consisting of various subdivisions which run parallel with each other, the main theme of which is the coming Second Advent. ( ancientchristian)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://ccel.org/ccel/victorinus/apocalypse
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Commentary

Keywords that describe the book: bible, Revelation, commentary, early church, st. john, church father

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapters [number] of Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      " Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John , by Victorinus. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapters [number] of Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John by Victorinus. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapters]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John , by Victorinus"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename apocalypse_##_victorinus_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. apocalypse_01_victorinus_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Victorinus of Pettau
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Commentary on the Apocalypse of the Blessed John

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 19th, 2020, 11:51 am

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm

I can set this up for you :)

ETA:
There we go, here is a MW. Let's stay here until tomorrow, then I'll move us out to Going Solo. I will add to ~ to the title so that prospective DPLs know that this project does not have a prooflistener yet
Kathrine

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 20th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Kathrinee can you delete the last section? I can't seem to do that.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 20th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Done!
Kathrine

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » May 21st, 2020, 1:26 pm

Need a DPL? Looks like something I could manage in a short time.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 22nd, 2020, 1:50 am

Yes, that would be fantastic if you could PL this work. The first draft is already finished.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » May 22nd, 2020, 6:28 am

Section 1: end silence is over 6 sec

Section 2: PL OK

Section 3: end silence is over 6 sec
~4:13, a click on the word 'Lord'
~11:18, a smaller click on the word 'doubtless'

Just curious, is this still current in Catholic teaching? It's the first time I've heard anything Catholic, so some of it is rather different from what I'm used to hearing. :)

EDIT: Is it OK if I didn't follow with the text for those 3? I saw it says standard PL and went from there, but then afterward I remembered a comment I read somewhere about following the text for religious works. I do have the text accessible now. Let me know if I should re-listen.
~Rosebud

My DPL List

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 22nd, 2020, 3:46 pm

Welcome on board!
RSlabaugh wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:28 am

EDIT: Is it OK if I didn't follow with the text for those 3? I saw it says standard PL and went from there, but then afterward I remembered a comment I read somewhere about following the text for religious works. I do have the text accessible now. Let me know if I should re-listen.
Following along with the text is optional when it is standard PL :)
Kathrine

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » May 22nd, 2020, 5:43 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:46 pm
Welcome on board!
RSlabaugh wrote:

Following along with the text is optional when it is standard PL :)
:thumbs: Thanks for both!
~Rosebud

My DPL List

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » May 22nd, 2020, 6:05 pm

RSlabaugh wrote:
Section 1: end silence is over 6 sec

Section 2: PL OK

Section 3: end silence is over 6 sec
~4:13, a click on the word 'Lord'
~11:18, a smaller click on the word 'doubtless'

Just curious, is this still current in Catholic teaching? It's the first time I've heard anything Catholic, so some of it is rather different from what I'm used to hearing. :)
OK changes made. I'm using an auto duck to remove breathing sounds I wonder if that's causing the clicks.

Victorinus is considered a saint in the Catholic and Orthodox churches, so his teaching should be sound. Of course Catholic teaching is not supposed to change. "As the Church Has Always Taught..." is a favorite expression. But I've heard interpretations can vary a lot among church fathers.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » May 23rd, 2020, 10:03 am

Sections 1 & 3 are now PL OK :thumbs:

I didn't run these through checker again, but I expected you've already taken care of that.? I'll be fairly busy all weekend now, so it might be Monday or Tuesday before I can get the rest done. I'll see 8-)
~Rosebud

My DPL List

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » May 31st, 2020, 8:52 pm

Section 4 PL notes:
~6:30 word exchange, "Mountains and islands removed from their places intimate that in the last persecution all men departed from their places;" I hear 'imitate'

Section 5 PL notes:
~7:09 word exchange, "They shall tread the holy city down for forty and two months;" I hear 'fifty'
~11:17 missing word, “And their dead bodies shall lie in the streets of the great city,"

This time I've been following with the text, so that's why I caught these. :wink: Entirely up to you how many of these you correct or feel OK with. Just let me know, and I'll act accordingly.

Thanks,
~Rosebud

My DPL List

ancientchristian

Post by ancientchristian » June 1st, 2020, 5:51 am

intimate/imitate ... sigh... rookie mistake. Thank you for noticing. Corrections made to both files.

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh » June 1st, 2020, 7:45 am

ancientchristian wrote:
June 1st, 2020, 5:51 am
intimate/imitate ... sigh... rookie mistake. Thank you for noticing. Corrections made to both files.
8-) No big deal. Thanks!

Section 6 PL notes:
~0:58 & 1:03 word exchange, "Moreover, being clothed with the sun intimates the hope of resurrection and the glory of the promise. And the moon intimates..." I hear imitates
~4:27 word exchange, "...whence in the last times a hundred and forty-four thousands of men..." I hear 'twenty-four'
~5:06 word exchange, “And the serpent cast out of his mouth after the woman water as a flood," I hear 'spirit'

I'll try to get the last section PLed soon as well. I have evening plans, so it might go another day or two. :/
~Rosebud

My DPL List