[Complete] Ingersoll on Ernest Renan - ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ingersoll on ERNEST RENAN from the Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, LECTURES, Volume 11 - Lecture 12.
Col. Ingersoll begins his lectures on famous people as follows: "It is hard to overstate the debt we owe to the men and women of genius. Take from our world what they have given, and all the niches would be empty, all the walls naked—meaning and connection would fall from words of poetry and fiction, music would go back to common air, and all the forms of subtle and enchanting Art would lose proportion and become the unmeaning waste and shattered spoil of thoughtless Chance." One of the most famous orators of his day, a contemporary and personal friend of Mark Twain and General Grant, Ingersoll's lectures on famous people in this series include: SHAKESPEARE, ROBERT BURNS, ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VOLTAIRE, WALT WHITMAN; followed by inspiring speeches on THE GREAT INFIDELS; WHICH WAY? (science or superstition); and ABOUT THE HOLY BIBLE.
Each lecture in Volume 3, plus 2 lectures on HUMBOLDT and THOMAS PAINE from Volume 1, and an essay on ERNEST RENAN from Volume 11 (of the 12 volume Dresden Edition), are presented on Librivox as a separate audiobook in the series called Ingersoll Lectures, Famous People. ( Michele Fry)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ingersoll-on-ernest-renan-from-the-works-of-robert-g-ingersoll-volume-11-lecture-12-by-robert-g-ingersoll/
    1. The soloist on this project is TomHersant.
    2. Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38811/38811-h/38811-h.htm#link0012
      http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/38811

Level of prooflistening: special (as DPL, I will follow along with the text and notate any significant discrepancies).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================

============================================
    3. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    4. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Ingersoll on ERNEST RENAN, from The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll Volume 11, MISCELLANEY. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Lecture 12 – ERNEST RENAN

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "This ends Ingersoll’s lecture on ERNEST RENAN]"
        add 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.[/b][/i]
      • AFTER recording
        Need noise-cleaning?
        Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
        Save files as
        128 kbps MP3
        ingersollv11_renan_01_rgingersoll_128kb (all lower-case)
      • Example ID3 V2 tags
        (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
        Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
        Artist: Robert G. Ingersoll
        Title: Ingersoll on Ernest Renan
        Album: The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll Volume 11, MISCELLANEY – ERNEST RENAN

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
        Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
        Any questions?
        Please post below, or contact a team member:
      SOLOIST: Tom Hersant
      BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
      MC: Amy Gramour
      DPL: Michele Fry (msfry)
      Cover: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on May 28th, 2020, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Michele and Tom,
The MW is up now. I'll move you to Going Solo.
Cheers,
Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks! :D
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Greetings, Here is the reading: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ingersollv11_renan_01_rgingersoll_128kb.mp3

It is a rather large file, 51mm34ss worth. If you'd rather I break it down into two files just let me know.

My hearty "Thank you" for the opportunity to read this delightful essay.

Tommy
Blackboards are truly remarkable!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Oh, delightful. I look forward to listening today and learning more about Ernest Renan.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Ernest Renan

Beautifully read, Tommy. Only one significant error.
22:05 with the stories that had been told, you say they had been told.

Alas, many Ingersoll essays have the problem that if you don't say Quote/End Quote, sometimes (not always) the person Ingersoll is quoting sounds just like himself (because of course he is using his heroes to support his own beliefs)-- which robs the credit due to the featured person. I think it would do better justice to the project if you would add this feature to certain of the longer quotes, approximate times cited here:
4:02/4:34
4:46/5:07
21:13/21:24
22:18/22:30
24:19/24:43
27:31/28:17
30:25/31:21
31:27/31:54
32:24/33:18
35:03/35:25
49:05/49:44

This is by far not all the Renan quotes, just the ones where I think his voice should stand out from Ingersoll's.
HINT: Make your edits from back to front, or all the cited times will be skewed. You should be able to do these easily without referencing the text.

I apologize for not telling you this earlier, as it is a known problem in Ingersoll's works. The reader has the benefit of seeing " ", but the audio listener does not.
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

Thanks! We are on a trip and will return home mid-week. Will get to the corrections then.
Tommy
msfry

Post by msfry »

TomHersant wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:58 pm Thanks! We are on a trip and will return home mid-week. Will get to the corrections then.
Tommy
No rush at all. Have a safe trip.
TomHersant

Post by TomHersant »

G'Day, mate.

Here is the file with the corrections . . . if all goes well. It lasts 51:57: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ingersollv11_renan_01_rgingersoll_128kb.mp3

Tommy
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sounds great! PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Amy, this project is ready to catalog. Please use the most recent summary, edited today. And add these keywords: Renan, Ernest Renan, Ingersoll
Thank you. Cover is made. Just need the particulars from the catalog page.

Great first solo for Tom. Congratulations!
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Sure thing. I will start cataloging/ :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ingersoll-on-ernest-renan-from-the-works-of-robert-g-ingersoll-volume-11-lecture-12-by-robert-g-ingersoll/

Congratulations, Michele and Tom! :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Amy that was quick. The cover is also uploaded and just needs to be linked up. Probably by tomorrow.
There are 3 or 4 more in this series. Can I put you down as MC?
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Sure, I would be glad to MC them.