SOLO - The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides-Leni

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl » May 22nd, 2020, 2:51 am

Hi Daniel and Leni,

Are you still looking for a PL?

The project looks extremely interesting and I would love to be involved.
I haven't PL'd in a while (I think about 3 years) so it might take me a bit of time to get back up to speed but it doesn't look as if too much has changed.

So just let me know if you want me and I will start with the letter.

Good luck with the recording Daniel. It looks like a monster.

Regards,
Bernard

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 22nd, 2020, 6:14 am

ArchaDl wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:51 am
Hi Daniel and Leni,

Are you still looking for a PL?

The project looks extremely interesting and I would love to be involved.
I haven't PL'd in a while (I think about 3 years) so it might take me a bit of time to get back up to speed but it doesn't look as if too much has changed.

So just let me know if you want me and I will start with the letter.

Good luck with the recording Daniel. It looks like a monster.

Regards,
Bernard
Hello, Bernard!

Thanks for offering, we still need a PL! I have just added you. I suggest you take a look at the Guide for Proof-Listeners:https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners And ask if you have any doubts! :)
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl » May 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am

Hi Leni,

Thanks. I will get going ASAP then. Checked the MW and access is working fine.
I used to just do PL work when I was last active but got too busy to continue. Things have calmed down a bit now.

My usual process was to do notes here with an update in the MW with a reference to the post.

Daniel, please let me know if you want more or less detail in my notes.

Regards,
Bernard

ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl » May 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am

Introduction is PL OK

Great job Daniel!

I am looking forward to starting with the rest of the sections.

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 22nd, 2020, 10:36 am

ArchaDl wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:36 am
Hi Leni,

Thanks. I will get going ASAP then. Checked the MW and access is working fine.
I used to just do PL work when I was last active but got too busy to continue. Things have calmed down a bit now.

My usual process was to do notes here with an update in the MW with a reference to the post.

Daniel, please let me know if you want more or less detail in my notes.

Regards,
Bernard
Bernard -

Thank you so much for picking up this project! I look forward to collaborating with you on this. I'm thick-skinned, so I can take the criticisms. I really appreciate this!

Daniel

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 23rd, 2020, 3:09 pm

Leni and Bernard,

Since Librivox is still new to me, I'm still learning a lot. Following the introduction, which is now PL ready, I think it would be advisable for me to go back into each of the chapters and make sure that there is uniformity in the ways that the chapters are introduced and closed in the recording. From my other recordings that I've done for Librivox over the last month, I've discovered that the intros can be streamlined and shortened. Since "The Guide for the Perplexed" is divided into 3 parts with introductions and chapters in each, how does this format look for the intros and closings to each chapter.

BEGINNING OF RECORDING

[1 second interval]
"The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides. This Librivox recording is in the public domain."
[1 second interval]
"Part 1, Chapter 1"
[1 second interval]

BODY OF RECORDING

"End of Part 1, Chapter 1. This Librivox recording is in the public domain."
[5 second interval]

END OF RECORDING

-Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Hey, Daniel

That is fine, except you need to have the section number right at the beginning. That is important for blind listeners, or those who have devices that might not display the titles, so that by listening to the very beginning they know which section it is and if the order is right. Also, 1 second of silence in between parts is not necessary, I think you can just say it at a normal reading pace, but that is up to you. So, something like:

BEGINNING OF RECORDING

[1 second interval]
Part 1, Chapter 1 of "The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides. This Librivox recording is in the public domain. [Title of Chapter]"
[1 second interval]

The end is fine. :D
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl » May 24th, 2020, 11:22 pm

Hi Daniel,

I cant really help with content I am way too rusty, but I agree with Leni on this. Shorter is fine, as long as the chapter details are up front and centre. It makes it easier to sort the files quickly without having to listen through a 3 min intro every time. As far as the pauses are concerned, that's also up to you but I would advise that it needs to flow. Don't try to be too rigid in adhering to specific lengths of pauses since that can quickly sound forced and make it harder for you as well as for the listener.
If you are making changes to existing pieces and you want me to listen to them again. Please just make a note about what you changed with a timestamp if possible and change the status of the item in the MW. I can easily spot PL and give feedback that way.

I had one question though. In the PDF copy i saw there was additional parts that you didn't read? Basically a history on the life of Maimonides and a Guide to Moreh Nebuchim Literature. I do not know if you want to include these for completeness or not. I might also be looking at the wrong version so if it isn't part of the one you are using please just point me in the right direction. I'm not doing a word-perfect PL but I like to check specific phrases etc if I hear something strange.

Regards,
Bernard

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 25th, 2020, 5:59 am

ArchaDl wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 11:22 pm

I had one question though. In the PDF copy i saw there was additional parts that you didn't read? Basically a history on the life of Maimonides and a Guide to Moreh Nebuchim Literature. I do not know if you want to include these for completeness or not. I might also be looking at the wrong version so if it isn't part of the one you are using please just point me in the right direction. I'm not doing a word-perfect PL but I like to check specific phrases etc if I hear something strange.

Regards,
Bernard
Bernard -

Thank you again for the wonderful input. I'll be sure to flag any changes made to prior recordings if they've been made after having been checked, both in the MW and here in a posting.

Regarding the introductory materials, I've decided to add Michael Friedländer's "The Life of Maimonides" and "Analysis of the Guide for the Perplexed" as short non-fiction pieces in the SNF collections. "The Life of Maimonides" has already been submitted for SNF collection 075, and I'm going to do the other one for 076.

As for the section on "The Moreh Nebuchim Literature", it was so entirely in the weeds with its citing of manuscripts in archives like the Bodleian library and such, not to mention its extensive primary and secondary bibiliography, and asides in both French and German that I didn't feel I would be able to do it justice in an audio recording.

Daniel

ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl » May 25th, 2020, 10:49 am

Hi Daniel,

I looked through the "Moreh Nebuchim Literature" and I am in complete agreement. Its all greek to me and that is possibly the only language not cited. I am glad that the other two pieces will be read somewhere. Please tell me if they make it. I would love to hear those as well.

I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about the subject material. And while I propably won't understand much I am still looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Regards,
Bernard

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 25th, 2020, 11:10 am

ArchaDl wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:49 am
I looked through the "Moreh Nebuchim Literature" and I am in complete agreement. Its all greek to me and that is possibly the only language not cited.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leni
=================

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

ArchaDl wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:49 am
Hi Daniel,

I looked through the "Moreh Nebuchim Literature" and I am in complete agreement. Its all greek to me and that is possibly the only language not cited. I am glad that the other two pieces will be read somewhere. Please tell me if they make it. I would love to hear those as well.

I have to say that I know absolutely nothing about the subject material. And while I propably won't understand much I am still looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Regards,
Bernard
Bernard -

I agree with Leni, that was a hilarious comment!

I just re-edited the first eight chapters of the project to make sure that the intros/outros were all consistent and complied with the guidelines of putting the section and chapter name first. This should make the PL process smoother now, since you'll hopefully not need to remark that the intro sections or closings are incorrect. I think I'll start reading for chapter 9 this evening. (I was a bit scatterbrained this weekend and wasn't able to devote as much time to the Librivox projects as I had hoped.)

Regards,

Daniel