SOLO - The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides-Leni

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 9:04 pm

The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides ( - 1204). Translated by Michael Friedländer (1833 - 1910)

The Guide for the Perplexed by Mūsá ibn Maymūn (known throughout the Christian West as Moses Maimonides) is regarded as one of the most important works of Medieval Jewish theology. The book attempts to harmonize the philosophy of Aristotle with Rabbinical teachings, but was regarded by many at the time as antithetical to Jewish teaching and thought, despite its earnest arguments in vindication of the ways of God. ( Daniel Davison)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/guideforperplexe00maimiala/page/n3/mode/2up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Guide for the Perplexed. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Guide for the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides. Translated by Michael Friedländer (1833 - 1910) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides. Translated by Michael Friedländer (1833 - 1910) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Guide for the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides. Translated by Michael Friedländer (1833 - 1910)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename guidefortheperplexed_##_maimonides_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. guidefortheperplexed_01_maimonides_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Moses Maimonides
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Guide for the Perplexed

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 15th, 2020, 11:29 am

Oh, that is quite a find, we still do not have this in the catalog!

I will set it up for you. I see you already have another ongoing solo, your password and everything will be the same here.

I suppose you have planned a division of the book, but, just poiting out, some chapters are quite short (like the first one of book 3), so you might want to put more than one chapter per section. You are allowed to do it, if you wish to - or you can keep every chapter separately.

I will come back soon with your window!
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 15th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Leni wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 11:29 am
Oh, that is quite a find, we still do not have this in the catalog!

I will set it up for you. I see you already have another ongoing solo, your password and everything will be the same here.

I suppose you have planned a division of the book, but, just poiting out, some chapters are quite short (like the first one of book 3), so you might want to put more than one chapter per section. You are allowed to do it, if you wish to - or you can keep every chapter separately.

I will come back soon with your window!
Leni,

Thank you so much for picking this up! I'm still relatively new to the process of structuring these kinds of things. I know that some of the chapters are really, really short; but I'm thinking it might be of more utility to scholars to have an individual recording for each and every chapter, so that they could easily be accessible in a modular fashion. I was thinking of structuring the MW along these lines:

INTRODUCTION: Letter of the Author to his Pupil, R. Joseph Ibn Aknin
((Then the following sections would have a convention matching the Guide's numbering system in which the first Roman numeral would refer to the "Part" and the second to the "Chapter"))
I.I
I.II.
I.III.
etc...

Or would it make more sense to head each section fully like...

Part I, Chapter I

Regards,
Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Hello, Daniel

You have your window. :)

There is nothing wrong with keeping each chapter separately then.

As to the number, we usually avoid Roman numerals because they tend not to sort correctly in anything that uses alphabetical sorting (I know, it breaks my heart, I am a Latin teacher...). So, we have to use arabic numerals in the beginnings; then, I would suggest using "Part/Book X, Chapter XX", to make it clearer for the listener, also, since what you use in the window should also be reflected in the recording. So you would start your recording with "Part One, Chapter One of The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides". You might want to have that on your first post as well. :)

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubts!

Edited: Oh, another thing I just thought about. Are you going to be reading the letter at the beginning, the preface etc? If so, you might want to have the first section as number zero, with all this prefatory material, so that the number of the sections will line up with the number of the chapters. So you would have Part I, Chapter I as Section 1, instead of Section 2. Did it make sense? :hmm: Let me know if you would rather do that, so I can add a section zero to your window.
Leni
=================

The Library of the World's Best Literature volume 10 needs you! Only six sections to go! :D

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Leni wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Hello, Daniel

You have your window. :)

There is nothing wrong with keeping each chapter separately then.

As to the number, we usually avoid Roman numerals because they tend not to sort correctly in anything that uses alphabetical sorting (I know, it breaks my heart, I am a Latin teacher...). So, we have to use arabic numerals in the beginnings; then, I would suggest using "Part/Book X, Chapter XX", to make it clearer for the listener, also, since what you use in the window should also be reflected in the recording. So you would start your recording with "Part One, Chapter One of The Guide for the Perplexed by Moses Maimonides". You might want to have that on your first post as well. :)

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any doubts!

Edited: Oh, another thing I just thought about. Are you going to be reading the letter at the beginning, the preface etc? If so, you might want to have the first section as number zero, with all this prefatory material, so that the number of the sections will line up with the number of the chapters. So you would have Part I, Chapter I as Section 1, instead of Section 2. Did it make sense? :hmm: Let me know if you would rather do that, so I can add a section zero to your window.
Yes, I was going to have the letter at the first. One thing of note: each "Part" begins with a similar "Introduction" before the Chapter numbering scheme commences. I don't know if that will disrupt the flow at all. I'm going to try to get this letter read over the course of the weekend, and then I'll start fleshing the chapter alignment out, going off of your recommendations. Thank you so much for setting up the MW!

Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 15th, 2020, 3:05 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Yes, I was going to have the letter at the first. One thing of note: each "Part" begins with a similar "Introduction" before the Chapter numbering scheme commences. I don't know if that will disrupt the flow at all. I'm going to try to get this letter read over the course of the weekend, and then I'll start fleshing the chapter alignment out, going off of your recommendations. Thank you so much for setting up the MW!

Daniel
Well, then it probably doesn't matter much about section zero.

I will be moving this project to Going Solo now then. :) Happy recording!
Leni
=================

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 16th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Leni wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 3:05 pm
JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Daniel
Well, then it probably doesn't matter much about section zero.

I will be moving this project to Going Solo now then. :) Happy recording!
I went ahead and finished the Introductory letter and uploaded it to the server. I then updated the MW accordingly. I also also added tentative line items to the upcoming chapters. Does that look correct? If so, I'll get to work on the next sections as well.

Regards,
Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 2:53 pm

I went ahead and finished the Introductory letter and uploaded it to the server. I then updated the MW accordingly. I also also added tentative line items to the upcoming chapters. Does that look correct? If so, I'll get to work on the next sections as well.

Regards,
Daniel
Yup, it looks correct! :D Great!

Two details:

1) Whatever you have in the window for title is what is going to be in the catalog. So, for example, in this case, do you want it just to be "Part 1, Chapter 1", or would you like the future listeners to be able to read the titles of the chapters as well (for example: Parte 1, Chapter 1, On the homonimity of the Zelem)? If you would like the titles, they have to be added to the window. That is up to you, and it doesn't have to be decided or done now. It has to be correct at the time of cataloging.

2) Would you like me to post an ad for a Proof-Listener?

Oh, just realized a third one: the title of the file is wrong. It has to follow a standard, in this case it should be guidefortheperplexed_00_maimonides_128kb. There is no need to fix this now, in case there are other corrections to be made. But for future files, please follow the filename standard, so the files are easily found and sorted in the uploader. Thanks!
Leni
=================

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 16th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Leni wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

1) Whatever you have in the window for title is what is going to be in the catalog. So, for example, in this case, do you want it just to be "Part 1, Chapter 1", or would you like the future listeners to be able to read the titles of the chapters as well (for example: Parte 1, Chapter 1, On the homonimity of the Zelem)? If you would like the titles, they have to be added to the window. That is up to you, and it doesn't have to be decided or done now. It has to be correct at the time of cataloging.

Oh, just realized a third one: the title of the file is wrong. It has to follow a standard, in this case it should be guidefortheperplexed_00_maimonides_128kb. There is no need to fix this now, in case there are other corrections to be made. But for future files, please follow the filename standard, so the files are easily found and sorted in the uploader. Thanks!
Leni -

I updated the sections based on the format you proposed. That would be great to have a reader assigned. I'll make sure that the future files follow that convention. Since this is a book in parts as well as chapters, should the numeric scheme be "guidefortheperplexed_1-1_maimonides_128kb" or "guidefortheperplexed_1.1_maimonides_128kb"?

Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:34 pm
Leni wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Leni -

I updated the sections based on the format you proposed. That would be great to have a reader assigned. I'll make sure that the future files follow that convention. Since this is a book in parts as well as chapters, should the numeric scheme be "guidefortheperplexed_1-1_maimonides_128kb" or "guidefortheperplexed_1.1_maimonides_128kb"?

Daniel
Hi, Daniel!

I will make a thread then for a PLer. Also, the files should follow the section numbers, not the book chapter numbers, since they should not have dots or slashes. So just:

guidefortheperplexed_01_maimonides_128kb
guidefortheperplexed_02_maimonides_128kb
guidefortheperplexed_03_maimonides_128kb
etc.

Happy recording! :D
Leni
=================

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 17th, 2020, 8:31 am

Hello! We have a call for Listeners: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=80101 Let's see if someone comes along. :)
Leni
=================

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Leni -

Thanks for posting the request for a PL.

Earlier today I uploaded a cut of Chapter 2, but I had erroneously named it "_03_" in the file name. I just re-uploaded that same clip with the corrected filename and I've also uploaded the actual Chapter 3, named "_03_". I believe the links are correctly mapped to the appropriate files now, but I wanted to let you know in case you're wondering why there are two "_03_" files in the project's directory.

Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 17th, 2020, 2:12 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm
Leni -

Thanks for posting the request for a PL.

Earlier today I uploaded a cut of Chapter 2, but I had erroneously named it "_03_" in the file name. I just re-uploaded that same clip with the corrected filename and I've also uploaded the actual Chapter 3, named "_03_". I believe the links are correctly mapped to the appropriate files now, but I wanted to let you know in case you're wondering why there are two "_03_" files in the project's directory.

Daniel
Ah, ok, that is fine. When you reupload, it renames the old one, so I can see in the folder which one is which. Thanks!
Leni
=================

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 19th, 2020, 11:56 am

Leni -

I just figured out a technical problem that I was having, where I needed to lower the amplification. I ran all of the current files through Checker, and then just re-uploaded all of the files that were formerly showing that they were too loud. I also went ahead and renamed the Intro with the standard convention. That's why there were so many file uploads today.

Daniel

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni » May 19th, 2020, 3:21 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 11:56 am
Leni -

I just figured out a technical problem that I was having, where I needed to lower the amplification. I ran all of the current files through Checker, and then just re-uploaded all of the files that were formerly showing that they were too loud. I also went ahead and renamed the Intro with the standard convention. That's why there were so many file uploads today.

Daniel
That is fine, Daniel! Thanks!
Leni
=================