SOLO - Travels of Sir John Mandeville - ed. A. W. Pollard - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 19th, 2020, 10:05 pm

PL note for chapter 3:
10:03 - please delete the very end of the outro "of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain"
Well done :9:
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 20th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Kathrine -

I'm so happy that you volunteered to be my PL!!!! I made all the changes that you noted in the PL notes and I also went back and re-uploaded the original introduction with the corrected naming format. Thank you so much!

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 22nd, 2020, 9:34 pm

Sections 2 and 3 are now PL OK! :clap:
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 23rd, 2020, 8:42 am

Great job reading chapter 4!

PL note:
00:00 the starting silence is more than a second. Please shorten it so it is between 0.5 and 1 second
The intro disclaminer sounds like a combination between the standard intro and the intro for soloists. Here is the standard intro (the one that comes first in the first post)
START of recording (Intro):
"Chapter [number] of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, by Alfred W. Pollard. [Chapter]"
And here is the intro that soloists can choose to use after the first section of their solo
"Chapter [number] of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville by Alfred W. Pollard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
In your recording I hear "Chapter 4 of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by Sir John Mandeville in the edition by A.W. Pollard. Read by Daniel Davidson. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. [Chapter title]."
You could make it conform exactly to the standard disclaimer copying and pasting "The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, by Alfred W. Pollard." from the outro into the intro (just before the chapter title). :)

-7:17 - extra words in the outro -- please delete the words that come after "End of chapter 4" We only repeat the title of the book and author at the end of the last section of the book.

Great job!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 23rd, 2020, 9:04 am

Well done with reading chapter 5! I am really enjoying listening :thumbs:

PL notes:
00:00 the silence in the very beginning is a little bit too long (between 0.5 and 1 second, please)
00:17 -intro - if you are using the first intro disclaimer from the first post in the thread, please add "The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, in the editing of A.W. Pollard."
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 23rd, 2020, 2:30 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:04 am
Well done with reading chapter 5! I am really enjoying listening :thumbs:

PL notes:
00:00 the silence in the very beginning is a little bit too long (between 0.5 and 1 second, please)
00:17 -intro - if you are using the first intro disclaimer from the first post in the thread, please add "The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, in the editing of A.W. Pollard."
Kathrine -

Again, thank you so much for going through these recordings! I like that streamlined approach. I'm still finding my way through the recording process. I updated those recordings an trimmed the outro and also the closing remarks. I then did the same thing to Chapter 6 as well and uploaded those to the shared drive.

When I do that, if the name of the files are the same as the previous link in the MW, do they automatically get written to that link in the MW?

Daniel

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 23rd, 2020, 4:23 pm

Kathrine -

As an addendum to my last post, could you see if the format that I use for the revised intros of Chapters 3 and 4 are better and if they work? If they do, I can go back and update the previous recordings (even th PL'd ones) to make sure all of the recordings follow the same pattern and are uniform. It'll be easier for me to do that now, before adding too many more recordings. I can just cut/paste a boilerplate intro and closings to all of them, except the first (The Prologue), and that way the format of all of the recordings will match and balance will be restored. :lol: It's pretty easy to just do a bulk upload of the older recordings all at one time.

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 24th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for sticking with it and not being discouraged even if I am a stickler for details when it comes to technical things and intros/outros! I know it can be frustrating to deal with that stuff.
When I do that, if the name of the files are the same as the previous link in the MW, do they automatically get written to that link in the MW?
Yes, that is exactly how it works :thumbs: Your DPL (i.e. me) should always listen from the link in the MW just to make sure that the newest and correct version is there.

The intros for chapter 4 and 5 are now almost spot on. Both of them should start with "Chapter #" as the two first words of the recording. (I think that came about because some of our listeners are blind, and it is very handy to know straight away whether one is listening to the next chapter or not!)

So PL note for chapter 4:
00:00 Please add "Chapter 4" before the rest of the intro
07:07 please delete the extra parts of the outro. The outro should only be "End of chapter 4"

PL note chapter 5:
00:00 Please add "Chapter 5" before the rest of the intro

If you want to, you can go back and fix the earlier recordings as well. I would be fine with leaving them the way they are, as part of the learning curve:)

(An aside: it is helpful for your prooflistener if you toggle the PL Status column to Ready for PL or Ready for spot-check when you upload something -- it makes those sections pop up on the DPL's list :) )

Thank you!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 24th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Well done! PL notes for section 6
00:00 - please reduce the initial silence to between 0.5 and 1 second
00:00-00:20 - please fix intro disclaimer
18:50 - please delete the extra words in the outro (it should only be "End of chapter 6")

Great work!
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 26th, 2020, 10:49 am

kathrinee wrote:
May 24th, 2020, 6:28 pm
(An aside: it is helpful for your prooflistener if you toggle the PL Status column to Ready for PL or Ready for spot-check when you upload something -- it makes those sections pop up on the DPL's list :) )

Thank you!
Kathrine -

Thank so much! This is the first time I've ever used the PL Status column! I feel drunk with power! I've uploaded Chapter 8 and set it as "Ready for PL". I think before I move on to Chapter 9, I'm going to do some house-cleaning and make sure that the intros/outros for all of the preceding sections are corrected and made uniform. I'll then change their status to "Spot PL"...Oh, the power! :lol:

Daniel

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 26th, 2020, 11:41 am

Katrhine -

Further to the previous post, I updated the intros/outros of Chapters 3-6, and changed the PL comments of all of those to "Spot PL". I was going to mention that Chapters 3 and 4 are switched in the MW. The information for them in the row is correct, it's just that somehow the rows in the MW got switched. Can that be changed relatively easily?

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 27th, 2020, 4:10 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 10:49 am
This is the first time I've ever used the PL Status column! I feel drunk with power!
Hehe! Yes, it is a nice feeling ;)
JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 11:41 am
I was going to mention that Chapters 3 and 4 are switched in the MW. The information for them in the row is correct, it's just that somehow the rows in the MW got switched. Can that be changed relatively easily?
Thank you for letting me know --- fixed!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 27th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Yay! Sections 3, 4, 5 and 6 are now all PL OK after spot-check! I'm looking forward to listen more tomorrow (hopefully) :)
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 28th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Well done with section 7. You've got the intro and the outro down now :thumbs:

Small PL note for this section:
4:19 - sounds to me like "and was born of a maiden and suffered poison and death" instead of "passion and death"

Have a listen and see what you think. :) If you agree, I would recommend fixing it -- but it that is how you mean to pronounce it because it is closer to an older way of saying the word, please just let me know
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 28th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Section 8 is PL OK! :clap:
Kathrine