SOLO - Travels of Sir John Mandeville - ed. A. W. Pollard - ke

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 12th, 2020, 12:46 pm

The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville by Alfred W. Pollard (1859 - 1944) and others.

This version of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville is an Elizabethan translation of a 14th century travelogue edited by the renowned Elizabethan scholar, A. W. Pollard. There is a dual interest to recording this book, the Elizabethan English, and the wonders described by the original author. Much of the information within the book is of a fantastic and unreliable nature, but it has been a source of inspiration for poets and mined by scholars thoughout the centuries. (Daniel Davison)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/782
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction; Travel Fiction; Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Religious Fiction/Christian Fiction; *Non-fiction/History /Antiquity; *Non-fiction/History /Middle Ages/Middle History

Keywords that describe the book: Mandeville, travelogue, johnmandeville, travelsofsirjohnmandeville, medievaltravel, presterjohn, legendarybeasts, medievalhistory, elizabethanenglish

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, by Alfred W. Pollard. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville by Alfred W. Pollard. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [#]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville, by Alfred W. Pollard. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename travelsofsirjohn_##_mandeville_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. travelsofsirjohn_01_mandeville_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags - IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ENTER ID3 TAGS
    Artist: Alfred W. Pollard
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Travels of Sir John Mandeville, by John Mandeville

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by JachinandBoaz on May 14th, 2020, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 12th, 2020, 3:39 pm

I can MC this for you, well done on filling out the template!

ETA:
Here we go, now we have a MW (Magic Window).

Since you are the soloist you are also your own book coordinator (BC). As such, it is your job to keep the MW updated when you upload a recording.
Here are directions for logging into the MW for the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs
And here are all the directions for what a BC does (and what a DPL, dedicated prooflistener does):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I will add a ~ to the heading so that prospective prooflisteners know that this project doesn't have a DPL yet. ALso, I will delete the first post of the project, so that the long post with the MW is the first one in this thread :)

Please holler if you have questions!
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 11:57 am

Kathrine -

I was able to log in with a new password to the BC view, and I can see a queue that has all of the things that I've posted to. However, I don't seem to have access to the MW. That's fine if I'm not suppsed to have access to that. I just wasn't sure on that point.

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Kathrinee -

I've added the prologue to the uploader. Here's the information with the MP3 URL:

Artist: Sir John Mandeville
Title: Prologue
MP3 URL:https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/TravelsofSirJohn_Prologue_Mandeville_128kb.mp3

I'll plan to start on Chapter 1 soon.

Thank you for all your help!!!!
Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm

That is great! Have you been able to log into the Magic Window? Please try, and then paste the link to the recording there in the column LIsten URL for section 0. Once I know that you can log in, I'll move the thread to the Going Solo forum. Please holler if you have trouble
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Yay! I think I was able to do it. It's updated in the MW!

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Yay, indeed, you did it! :clap:

One more detail, please write how long each section is (MM:SS) in the column called notes. It is helpful information for a PL (prooflistener), and I use it at the end, when the project is compelete and I put it into the catalog.

You're doing great!
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Kathrine -

As I work on this, would it be possible to update the blurb about the book at the top of the forum? I sort of typed that out on the fly for the proposal, but it looks a bit slap-dash and I can see that I had a typo in there as well.

Daniel

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Kathrine -

Here's Chapter 1

Artist: Sir John Mandeville
Title: Chapter 1
MP3 URL:https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/travelsofsirjohn_01_mandeville_128kb.mp3

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 14th, 2020, 9:24 pm

JachinandBoaz wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Kathrine -

As I work on this, would it be possible to update the blurb about the book at the top of the forum? I sort of typed that out on the fly for the proposal, but it looks a bit slap-dash and I can see that I had a typo in there as well.

Daniel
Yes, absolutely. In the top right corner of every post you make you should see a little pencil with a button. Click that, edit to your heart's content, and save it. :)

Great progress, you have two files done already! Thank you for putting the times in the MW. I had two thoughts: 1) I started putting The Prologue and Chapter 1 in the MW, just so you could see where those titles might go. You do not have to keep "Chapter #" in the title column, especially since each chapter has a proper title, as well, that is up to you (and, in fact, I think it is more common to skip the Chapter # if there are proper titles) (sorry for misleading you in the first place!)
2) archive.org, where we host our projects when we finish, does not like normal quotation marks. If you want to keep something looking like double quotation marks, you can use the apostrophe key (') twice :)
Kathrine

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm

kathrinee wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 9:24 pm

2) archive.org, where we host our projects when we finish, does not like normal quotation marks. If you want to keep something looking like double quotation marks, you can use the apostrophe key (') twice :)
Thanks, Kathrine!

I went back and removed all of those double-quotes. I think it looks less busy without them! I just finished Chapter 3 and uploaded that.

Daniel

JachinandBoaz

Post by JachinandBoaz » May 17th, 2020, 7:46 am

Kathrine -

Leni gave me some good advice on the naming conventions for Librivox MP3s. I think I was doing this incorrectly. Should I go ahead and re-upload the first 3 MP3s with the convention "travelsofsirjohn_00_mandeville_128kb.mp3", since that's the format used for the catalogues?

Also, I think this thread is still in the New Projects Launch Pad. Should it be moved to a different forum?

Thanks again! Do you think I should wait a bit before seeking for a PL?

Daniel

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 17th, 2020, 10:05 pm

I'll move the thread now to Going Solo, hang on tight!

No need to reupload if the only issue with the first recordings are the names, I can easily change it at cataloging time. If there ends up being PL notes from those first chapters, you can change the file names when you do the other edits. :)

It is not too early to advertise for a PL, especially with the progress you are making! It is late here now, but I should be able to do it within a couple of days if you don't get to it.
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 19th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I'd like to DPL this project as well. (I listened to the prologue out of curiosity, it is fascinating!) Prologue is PL OK!
Kathrine

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » May 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Chapter 1 is also PL OK! Great job!

A small PL note for chapter 2:
08:42 - Please delete the extra outro parts "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain." I really enjoy your recordings :thumbs:
Kathrine