COMPLETE The Poverty of Philosophy by Karl Marx - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

First of all, awesome reading. I am so glad I volunteered to DPL this project! You are making so much progress already and this is an interesting read.

Section 0 PL notes:

I like how you put the introduction and both prefaces in one file, good idea. You only need to say the LV disclaimer once in the file; it is unnecessary to repeat it before each preface. Since you have combined the introduction and both prefaces, I would amend the disclaimer at the beginning of the file to say: "Introduction, Preface, and Author's Preface of The Poverty of Philosophy. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. Recording by Trayvin Leroy; Ottawa, Canada. The Poverty of Philosophy, by Karl Marx, translated by Harry Quelch." (Suggested changes are bolded.) Then, before the introduction, say "Introduction." After the introduction, leave a few sections of silence, then say, "Preface," and proceed to read the preface. Finally, after the preface, leave a few sections of silence, then say, "Author's Preface," and proceed to read. (There is no need to say "end of introduction," etc. after each part.)

13:11 Misreading that changes meaning ("most conducive" read as "most conductive")
14:06 Misreading that changes meaning ("was unknown" read as "was known")
16:27 Repeat ("not only does he . . . not only does he")
16:50 Misreading that changes meaning ("under their assumed form" read as "under their assured form")
21:01 Missing word ("is erected"- the second half of "erected" is missing)
25:34 Misreading that changes meaning ("of general society" read as "or general society")
31:24 Repeat ("that the form of representation of value, price, has, in general, a quite other aspect than the value which it manifests . . . that the form of representation of value, price, has, in general, a quite other aspect than the value which it manifests")
33:27-33:28 Long silence
37:38 Stumble ("socially useful")

Also, have you heard of Checker? You can check the technical specifications of your files against LibriVox standards using the program. We require the technical specifications outlined in the LibriVox wiki here. Currently, the volume of the file is too loud at 92.8 dB. The acceptable range is 87-91 dB, and we aim for 89 dB. To de-amplify the file in Audacity, select the whole recording. Click Effect > Amplify. In the Amplification box, enter the number -3.8. Verify that the file is around 89 dB using Checker.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 2 PL notes:
0:00 Too much silence at beginning of file (0.5-1 second max, currently 1.5 seconds)
0:05 Translator's name needed in intro to match format of intro disclaimer on first post
08:47 Stumble ("and [unintelligible] . . . exchange value")
17:10 Misreading that affects meaning ("establish between them" read as "estimate between them")
26:17 Too much silence at end of file (5 seconds required, currently 6 seconds)
Volume too loud at 92.3 dB (87-91 dB acceptable)

Really professional narrating. You are certainly brave to start your LibriVox career off with a book like this!
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

Thanks for so much help Cadastra.
I did not know about Checker but I will upload the edited versions soon.
My question is:
When I upload an edited file to librivox does it have to have a new file name?
In other words, is it ok to keep the new file name the same as the old file that we want to replace?
New Reader: The Poverty of Philosophy + A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy (Marx)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Keep the old file name. The uploader will rename the old file, so the link will always point to the newest version of the file.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

Alright, I've uploaded the edited intro and section 1. Also, the final part of chapter 1, section 3, is now up.
New Reader: The Poverty of Philosophy + A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy (Marx)
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 0 is now PL OK!

Section 1 - Additional PL notes:
17:10 Half of the word "between" is missing ("establish between them")
26:16 5 seconds of silence needed at end of file, currently only 4 seconds

Section 2 PL notes:
13:11 Repeat/stumble ("and become the c . . . constitutent")
54:12 5 seconds of silence needed at end of file, currently only 4 seconds
Volume too loud at 93.1 dB (87-91 dB acceptable)

Wonderful narrating! This is a really interesting read.
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

Section 1 and 2 updated and Section 4 posted.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Sections 1 and 2 are now PL OK.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 3 sounds GREAT! Just one PL note... there is an electronic device buzzing from 22:41-22:48.
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

I've fixed the buzzing in section 3, must have been my phone :lol: . Marked it PL OK.
Section 5 is up too.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

FYI - Generally we would have you mark it Ready for Spot PL, so that the DPL can do a quick check on the edit. Also, to make sure it uploaded correctly and that the correct file is linked in the Magic Window. :)

I've fixed up the statuses in the MW. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

Thanks Tricia. I'll remember that for next time!
I wasn't sure what that option was for.
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

No worries! Section 3 is perfect now, PL OK!
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

Section 4 PL notes:
Too much silence at the beginning of the file (currently 4.5 seconds) - we aim for 0.5-1 second
17:47 Repeat ("Without slavery, North America, the most progressive country" x2)
trayvinleroy

Post by trayvinleroy »

Section 4 is fixed and 6,7 are ready for PL