SOLO Prayers and Meditations by Samuel Johnson - lny

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

Prayers and Meditations by Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784).

The private prayers and meditations of Samuel Johnson, published posthumously by George Strahan to whom Johnson had entrusted the manuscripts. Johnson had been writing these down for over forty years. They often show him at his most repentant, melancholy and fragile -- and the book was controversial because of it -- but they also show the goodness, sense and strength which always characterised this great man. ( Steven Watson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KXEJAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: 8NiIRm7e
      ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: religion, Christianity, prayer, memoir, autobiography, prayers

============================================
    • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      START of recording (Intro):
      • "Chapter [number] of Prayers and Meditations. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Prayers and Meditations, by Samuel Johnson. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
      • "Chapter [number] of Prayers and Meditations by Samuel Johnson. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      • If you wish, say:
      • Only if applicable, say:
        "[Chapter title]"
      END of recording:
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Prayers and Meditations, by Samuel Johnson. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
    • Example filename prayersandmeditations_##_johnson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. prayersandmeditations_01_johnson_128kb.mp3)
    • Example ID3 V2 tags - ignore tags, they are completed automatically during cataloging.
      Artist: Samuel Johnson
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: Prayers and Meditations

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
      Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: linny - linny
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by StevenWatson on May 6th, 2020, 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 4th, 2020, 11:03 am

Just wanted to note a couple of things... The total section number is a guess -- I will work it out as I go along. There are no sections or chapters in the book. I'm reading from an early edition, because that's my idea of fun...

I'd be very grateful if there is a DPL willing to help me. This is a very beautiful and meaningful work, and I hope that anyone who works with me on it will find it rewarding too.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » May 4th, 2020, 11:21 am

i'll take a look at this this evening. May well be interested in joining you as DPL.
~ Larry

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » May 4th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Steven,
I can MC this for you. I'll set up your MW.

EDIT: You should be all set now. Let me know if you have any questions.

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 4th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Thanks again Linny!

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » May 4th, 2020, 2:10 pm

My pleasure. :thumbs:

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 7th, 2020, 6:01 am

I've posted the first section. If anyone is interested in prooflistening this book, hopefully this will give a better idea of what to expect (though the early prayers, while of course good, are not among the most interesting).

I have recorded the preface but I'm not sure whether to include it. In some ways I prefer the idea of the prayers and meditations by themselves, without the somewhat apologetic opinions expressed by Strahan.

Generally I've decided not to include footnotes, and am omitting occasional details which interrupt flow (such as transcription date in first prayer).

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 7th, 2020, 6:05 am

silverquill wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 11:21 am
i'll take a look at this this evening. May well be interested in joining you as DPL.
Not to pester you silverquill, but in case you were still considering helping as DPL, I've uploaded the first section so that you and other curious PLs can get a better idea of what to expect. Of course if you're not interested or are too busy that's no problem, I quite understand!

silverquill

Post by silverquill » May 7th, 2020, 7:35 am

Ah, yes, I saw this morning and have listened to the first section, with great pleasure.
I would be happy to serve as your DPL.

Just a couple of comments.

You will need the full disclaimer on the first recorded section. That can be on the Preface if you decide to include it, which I think would be valuable to have, or would need to appear on this section if it begins the book.

You DO need, however, an "outro" Just say, "End of section one."

Other than that, your recording is perfect.

Looking forward to listening to the remainder. :D
~ Larry

linny
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by linny » May 7th, 2020, 8:07 am

Larry added as DPL and we are off to Going Solo! Enjoy!

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 7th, 2020, 11:39 am

Excellent, thank you Larry! Will make the corrections tomorrow.

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 9th, 2020, 6:02 am

Have fixed Section 1. Have decided that I will include Preface, so the full disclaimer will come there...

Section 2 ready for PL also.

And I have made a provisional list of sections to at least give us some idea of progress. There's quite a few sections, but they will all be fairly short (hopefully 15 minutes maximum).

silverquill

Post by silverquill » May 12th, 2020, 7:44 am

Great!

Sections 1 and 2 are PL OK.
~ Larry

StevenWatson

Post by StevenWatson » May 16th, 2020, 9:32 am

Section 3 ready for PL. Thanks again Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » May 17th, 2020, 10:48 pm

StevenWatson wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 9:32 am