Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
cadastra

Post by cadastra » May 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm

msfry wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 12:15 pm
Section 1 is uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/completepoems_01_dickinson_128kb.mp3 9:49
Section 1 PL notes:
  • Pronunciation discrepancy - "Bianchi" was pronounced with a "k" sound in the intro and a "ch" sound in the outro
  • Incorrect duration in MW - according to Checker, the duration of the file is 10:02, not 09:49

cadastra

Post by cadastra » May 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Section 2 PL notes:
0:41 - Misread "many of the poems by former editors" as "many of the poems by former editions"
03:06 - Misread "this side the victory" as "this side of victory"
03:18 - Misread "at least to know the worst is sweet" as "at least I know the worst is sweet"
05:33 - Misread "in which it caution arm" as "in which its caution arm"
08:21-08:22, 08:27-08:29 - Loud background noise (bird?)
08:43 - Misread "birds, hours, the bumblebee" as "birds, hours, and bumblebee"

cadastra

Post by cadastra » May 4th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Section 3 PL note: 01:14 - Misread "and get the dimples ready" as "and to get the dimples ready"

I've always loved poem 27 ("I'm nobody! Who are you?").

msfry

Post by msfry » May 5th, 2020, 7:34 am

Thanks Cadastra, for this excellent PL'ing. Corrections made, uploaded and ready for spot PL. I left the bird in at 8:27. That dang bird is courting right outside my window. I usually record between tweets, but this one I left in because the poem is about birds! Ha!

I hope I am reading this alright when so often I can't figure what she is talking about, for example: "Mirth is the mail of anguish, in which it caution arm". What does this even mean?

So what do you think of the 10 minute length? This would make that 30 day "dose of Dickinson". Of course this means I will have to change the MW as I go along because recording for length rather than number of poems per file has to be figured out step by step.

Tricia, I will pass these first few files by our friend KevinS, a declared lover of Dickinson, and see what advice he may have. :help:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS

Post by KevinS » May 5th, 2020, 8:59 am

Are you certain you want my advice? I am an iconoclast, as you know.
New modem installation delayed until instructions are clear.

msfry

Post by msfry » May 5th, 2020, 9:02 am

KevinS wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 8:59 am
Are you certain you want my advice? I am an iconoclast, as you know.
Yes, send via PM please. Meanwhile, I will look up "iconoclast". :roll:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » May 8th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Section 4 is uploaded. This is a test of a format with no numbering, and 5 seconds between poems, and a limit of around 10 to 11 minutes per section. I am asking for, in addition to PLing of the words, how you compare the numbered poems with the unnumbered ones. Should more poems be included. And am I talking too fast. Or too slow. I will be the final judge but would like your opinion.

My favorite poems thus far:
XLIII "I like to see it lap the miles,...."Is she likening the wind to a herd of horses cavorting around? (Yes, I love horses and Heartland is my favorite TV series).
XLVI. A thought went up my mind to-day..... does not that happen to me every day?

What's scary is, as I am starting to unpack her, she is starting to make more sense! But there is a lot more work involved.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/completepoems_04_dickinson_123kb.mp3 11:32
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

cadastra

Post by cadastra » May 10th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Wow, Michele...! Section 4 sounds perfect, even better than last time, with the flow of the poetry unencumbered by the poem numbers. The way you read poem XLIII was positively onomatopoeic; I could picture the creek winding through the mountains as you read it. "And then, prodigious, step around a pile of mountains . . ." I did notice a small background noise during "the palm without" at 08:49.

In my opinion, it is important to read poetry on the slower side since there is so much meaning contained in each line. Sometimes, when listening to poetry, I notice that I get left behind while trying to understand a phrase, while the reader moves on. Then I have difficult getting back into the poem. Your reading speed seems to vary depending on the poem and your interpretation of its content. So far your interpretation has been spot on (as far as I can tell!), so the speed seems good to me.

I think my favorite poem in Section 4 was XLII because I am an RN, although there were so many good ones... "Surgeons must be very careful when they take the knife! Underneath their fine incisions stirs the culprit,--Life!"

msfry

Post by msfry » June 10th, 2020, 11:20 am

I've uploaded Section 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/completepoems_05_dickinson_123kb.mp3 10:17

I also uploaded 4 again, though I didn't hear any specific background noise.

I will go back to 2 and 3 and remove the poem numbers once we're in agreement that it works better without them.
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

cadastra

Post by cadastra » June 17th, 2020, 4:46 pm

msfry wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:20 am
I've uploaded Section 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/completepoems_05_dickinson_123kb.mp3 10:17

I also uploaded 4 again, though I didn't hear any specific background noise.

I will go back to 2 and 3 and remove the poem numbers once we're in agreement that it works better without them.
Section 5 sounds lovely and is PL OK. I still like the flow of the poems better without the numbers. Beautiful reading!

msfry

Post by msfry » June 17th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Thank you. It is still a work in progress and I appreciate your patience. It think now that a wider gap between poems is needed, and will add about a second to this and future sections.
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » June 18th, 2020, 9:29 am

Recorded Section 6 then on listening back, the whole recording sounded tinny. Some setting was way off. Drat. I have to re-record the whole thing. :(
Maybe practice will make it better! :hmm:
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

cadastra

Post by cadastra » June 18th, 2020, 11:34 am

Oh no! That's the worst... I have accidentally recorded with my computer's built-in microphone instead of my Blue Yeti a few times, and feel your pain.