[SOLO] The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, 1924 - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
msfry

Post by msfry » April 28th, 2020, 5:56 pm

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886).
Summary coming later ( Michele Fry, Soloist)

[*]Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/completepoemsofe0000dick_w5x7/page/n5/mode/2up
[*]Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Word Perfect, for poetry, DPL will follow along with the text and notate any discrepancies.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
Genres for the project: Poetry, Single Author

Keywords that describe the book: MC, please leave visible for filling in later.

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Introduction to The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, as compiled by her niece Martha Dickinson Bianchi. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson. Introduction]"

For subsequent sections, "Section # of The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, as compiled by her niece Martha Dickinson Bianchi in 1924. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain." [/i]
[*]If you wish, say:
"Read by Michele Fry, BR LA"
[*] Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter #, LIFE, Poems X - Y]"[/list]

END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Section #
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, as compiled by her niece Martha Dickinson Bianchi in 1924. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename completepoems_##_dickinson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. completepoems_01_dickinson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
BC/Soloist: Michele Fry msfry
MC: TriciaG
DPL: Cadastra
Cover: Michele Fry msfry
Last edited by msfry on May 7th, 2020, 4:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

cadastra

Post by cadastra » April 28th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I've been waiting for someone to pick up this project in Book Suggestions! May I DPL?

msfry

Post by msfry » April 28th, 2020, 9:01 pm

cadastra wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 6:38 pm
I've been waiting for someone to pick up this project in Book Suggestions! May I DPL?
Hello, Cadastra. I would welcome you as DPL.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » April 29th, 2020, 8:36 am

So, Cadastra, if that be your real name, while waiting for a MW, I've been fiddling with the arrangements. It occurs to me that I personally have trouble listening to a long string of poems, one after another. I get tired of concentrating, trying to appreciate and squeeze the juice out of every single line. I quit listening acutely. It's like too much of any good thing. To avoid that, I could present a "daily devotional" type of project. There are 433 poems altogether, and if I presented, say, roughly 15 poems in each section, that would be somewhere like 30 days worth. The summary could recommend listening to one section a day for 30 days. The by-line could be something like "Emily in small doses.", or "30 days of Emily Dickinson".

What do you think?
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » April 29th, 2020, 11:04 am

Furthermore, I'm learning that this is NOT the complete poems of Emily Dickinson! She wrote over 1700 poems. These are just the poems retained by one faction of her family that was wrangling over possession of her poems and papers. It doesn't change my interest in this project, but my Summary needs to say something to explain the "Complete Poems" claim in this title.

from Wikipedia:
"After Dickinson's death, Lavinia Dickinson kept her promise and burned most of the poet's correspondence. Significantly though, Dickinson had left no instructions about the 40 notebooks and loose sheets gathered in a locked chest. Lavinia recognized the poems' worth and became obsessed with seeing them published. She turned first to her brother's wife and then to Mabel Loomis Todd, her brother's mistress, for assistance. A feud ensued, with the manuscripts divided between the Todd and Dickinson houses, preventing complete publication of Dickinson's poetry for more than half a century. Martha Dickinson Bianchi, the daughter of Susan and Austin Dickinson, published collections of her aunt's poetry based on the manuscripts held by her family (this 1924 volume), whereas Mabel Loomis Todd's daughter, Millicent Todd Bingham, published collections based on the manuscripts held by her mother."
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

cadastra

Post by cadastra » April 29th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Michele,
Interesting that this book is not the full collection of her poems. I agree with you that reading poetry can be more demanding than reading other forms of literature. It is difficult to maintain one's focus and appreciate each poem properly when listening to a long string of poems. For this reason, I think a "daily devotional" comprised of 15 or so poems is a wonderful idea.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 30th, 2020, 6:10 am

I'll MC this, but please first make any changes to the first post (number of sections, etc. - things I need to set up the project) before I set it up. That way you don't have to manually add sections later. :)
Hatfields & McCoys Sensationalist Account: An American Vendetta
Humor: Maxims of Methuselah about women

msfry

Post by msfry » April 30th, 2020, 7:31 am

TriciaG wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 6:10 am
I'll MC this, but please first make any changes to the first post (number of sections, etc. - things I need to set up the project) before I set it up. That way you don't have to manually add sections later. :)
Thanks, Tricia. Let's stick with 18 sections for now. I'll try recording about 25 poems per section and if it seems better to do fewer, I can add more sections as I go along. If I decide on less, you can remove them at the end, right?
Will you preclaim the cover for me?
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 30th, 2020, 7:54 am

Project is set up; cover is preclaimed. Yes, I can delete sections at the end if needed.

If it were my project, I'd probably shorten the file name to completepoems_##_dickinson_128kb, but that's your choice. :)

Interesting that it's really NOT the complete poems. :evil: But at least it's a decent chunk of them!

msfry

Post by msfry » April 30th, 2020, 11:01 am

TriciaG wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 7:54 am
Project is set up; cover is preclaimed. Yes, I can delete sections at the end if needed.

If it were my project, I'd probably shorten the file name to completepoems_##_dickinson_128kb, but that's your choice. :)

Interesting that it's really NOT the complete poems. :evil: But at least it's a decent chunk of them!
OK, file name shortened, MW filled in tentatively, and I can alter it as I go along if need be. I read the first batch. Editing now. It will tell me what I need to know.

Thanks for the articles, Kevin. They were very interesting, and complicated, and will help sort out and explain how incomplete this "COMPLETE" collection is. 433 is only about 1/4 of ED's nearly 1800 poems. :roll:
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 30th, 2020, 11:14 am

Moved to Going Solo. :)

msfry

Post by msfry » May 3rd, 2020, 12:15 pm

Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

msfry

Post by msfry » May 3rd, 2020, 9:18 pm

I have uploaded 1 and 2, still fiddling with tempo, and with how many poems to include in each section (I'm still developing the MW). Feedback appreciated, for I fear I will be biased as to length of sections. These poems take a bit of concentration to grasp and record, and I'd like each one to be grasped as fully as I can muster it. Breakdown could be 30 poems per section, 25, or 20. I don't think I could go as low as 15. Tempo could be upped or downed.

Cadastra and Tricia, if you wish to participate at the artistic level, please let me have your thoughts. I am not a great appreciator of Emily Dickinson's poetry, but I understand a poet's desire to capture a thought and the difficulty of doing so, and I want to do her justice if I can, and perhaps improve my own poetry thereby.
Michele Fry, CC
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » May 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Honestly, I'm not a good judge of poetry or the rendering thereof. :? Perhaps you could ask for help/advice over in Need Help?