[COMPLETE]On Being Negro in America by J. Saunders Redding - mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » April 23rd, 2020, 5:05 pm

msfry wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 4:52 pm
PL Notes 6
5:15 missing phrase. And under these lights the cast principle, which white society insisted on and to which the Negroes were responding in the first place—under these lights, the caste principle broke down.

PL Notes 7
4:21 repeat "which rings as"
4:32 missing phrase. Dualism is looked on as the natural division of absolute opposites, of enemies: Communism and democracy, Eastern man and Western man, native and foreign,
6:53 It still seems so to the vast majority, still is missing. (in this case it matters as the sentence is comparing past to present)
Thank you. I've got to adjust the size and width of the text on my screen so that I don't jump past lines!


KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » April 27th, 2020, 5:23 pm


msfry
Posts: 6879
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » April 27th, 2020, 5:58 pm

1,2,3 marked PL OK and time on 1 changed in MW. I don't see how time didn't get shorter on 2 and 3 with the shortened disclaimer. Did you change those in the MW?
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » April 27th, 2020, 6:42 pm

msfry wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 5:58 pm
1,2,3 marked PL OK and time on 1 changed in MW. I don't see how time didn't get shorter on 2 and 3 with the shortened disclaimer. Did you change those in the MW?
I did. Sorry.

I tell you, my brain is not working very well. It took me forever and ever to get Section 1 edited. I'll work on the others tomorrow.

And thank you!


KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 1st, 2020, 11:58 am


msfry
Posts: 6879
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 1st, 2020, 3:30 pm

PL Notes Section 8
14:25 repeat thus, thus spake

Section 9
15:24 repeat “You’ve got it all wrong. You’re in jail,” I said bitingly.
Well, this is right out of 1984, only for real! "You will work for us but if caught, you will not be helped in any way."

Section 10 is PL OK.
A lovely chapter on themes I've talked about for years: that democracy is an ideal to strive for, and while far from perfect, is the best thing so far invented for giving hope to the individual that he might reach his full potential. "Democracy . . . is a way of conducting affairs so that there is some kind of harmonious continuity in the direction of society."
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 1st, 2020, 3:36 pm

msfry wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 3:30 pm
PL Notes Section 8
14:25 repeat thus, thus spake

Section 9
15:24 repeat “You’ve got it all wrong. You’re in jail,” I said bitingly.
Well, this is right out of 1984, only for real! "You will work for us but if caught, you will not be helped in any way."

Section 10 is PL OK.
A lovely chapter on themes I've talked about for years: that democracy is an ideal to strive for, and while far from perfect, is the best thing so far invented for giving hope to the individual that he might reach his full potential. "Democracy . . . is a way of conducting affairs so that there is some kind of harmonious continuity in the direction of society."
One out of three! I'm improving!

msfry
Posts: 6879
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 3rd, 2020, 7:37 am

Section 11 is PL OK. A thought-provoking chapter!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Sections 13 uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/onbeingnegroinamerica_13_redding_128kb.mp3 (8:30)

(Section 12, too. Did I announce that?)

msfry
Posts: 6879
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 4th, 2020, 9:03 am

Section 12 is PL OK

PL Notes Section 13

2:23 "between normal individuals of the two races", you say sexes.
3:51 "and is solidified by law in the Southern states", you say Western
4:51 "being accounted for by the fact", by the is missing
8:00"and in the peculiar “ovoid shape", you say particular (might not matter)
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 9th, 2020, 9:56 am


msfry
Posts: 6879
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » May 9th, 2020, 11:19 am

14 is PL OK. Lots of source material in this chapter to mine for future recordings!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson
Love Stories #3
Dreams Collection #2
Coffee Break Collection #28 - HOBBIES

KevinS
Posts: 7565
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » May 9th, 2020, 11:30 am

msfry wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 11:19 am
14 is PL OK. Lots of source material in this chapter to mine for future recordings!
Thank you!

Yes, I saw that too about new material!

Post Reply