[FICTION] Ormond by Maria Edgeworth -jo

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 6th, 2020, 2:46 pm

By the way - I have a similar problem in my solo. I used to read from a text at zeno.org. It's from 1898 but transcribed into the type face we are used to today. But copyright isn't clear so 'my' DPL uses a scan in black letter print on archive.org from 1873. And guess what: there are differences and some of them hard to understand for me.

Example: The version of 1873 tells about a broud shouldered and bull-necked man. In the 1898 version you can read about a broud shouldered and hot tempered or irascible man. Maybe this was a change of the publisher because the author was dead by then but for me this changes the meaning or tenor to much.

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 7th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Chapter 4 is ready for PL.

Bruce

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 8th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Chapter 5 is ready for PL.

It has a good example of the little errors that I have to watch for. Around 3:22, in the recording, the Gutenberg text mentions "that famous howl of narcotic poisons, which that great man Socrates drank off." Famous howl?? No, it's supposed to be "that famous bowl of narcotic poisons," but that's exactly the kind of misreading that can happen in the digitization process.

Bruce

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 9th, 2020, 9:16 am

beeber wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 2:06 pm
Chapter 4 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL:OK :clap:

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 9th, 2020, 12:11 pm

beeber wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Chapter 5 is ready for PL.

It has a good example of the little errors that I have to watch for. Around 3:22, in the recording, the Gutenberg text mentions "that famous howl of narcotic poisons, which that great man Socrates drank off." Famous howl?? No, it's supposed to be "that famous bowl of narcotic poisons," but that's exactly the kind of misreading that can happen in the digitization process.

Bruce
PL:OK :thumbs:

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Chapter 6 is ready for PL.

Bruce

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 11th, 2020, 4:29 am

beeber wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm
Chapter 6 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL:OK :clap:

Comment of mine: Maybe it's better I think if you do footnotes like this: 'Footnote: .... End of footnote'. It's more clear then when the story goes on. But in this case I could hear clearly when the footnote ends and the story continues. So it's just a suggestion ;-)

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 11th, 2020, 5:53 am

Gavenport wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 4:29 am
Maybe it's better I think if you do footnotes like this: 'Footnote: .... End of footnote'.
Yes, good suggestion. It won't happen much more, but I'll consider it for next time.

(The Gutenberg text has incorporated the notes right into the stream of text, exactly the way I read it, but when you check the original printing, Edgeworth had those notes at the bottom of the page, like normal footnotes, so I can take the liberty of signalling them the same way we would in any LibriVox recording, which would normally be the way you said.)

Thanks,
Bruce

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 13th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Chapter 7 is ready for PL.

There are two Footnotes in this chapter, and I say "end of footnote" for one and not the other. This surprises me, because normally I would think that consistency was top priority. However, as I was reading this, I decided that in the one case it was completely obvious where the footnote ended — and therefore needed no special mention — but in the other case, there might be some doubt, so I needed to announce the "end." In other words, smooth flow for the listener may be more important than consistency.

However, if you don't like the result, let me know, and I'll change it without hesitation.

Bruce

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 14th, 2020, 5:42 am

beeber wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 1:07 pm
Chapter 7 is ready for PL.

There are two Footnotes in this chapter, and I say "end of footnote" for one and not the other. This surprises me, because normally I would think that consistency was top priority. However, as I was reading this, I decided that in the one case it was completely obvious where the footnote ended — and therefore needed no special mention — but in the other case, there might be some doubt, so I needed to announce the "end." In other words, smooth flow for the listener may be more important than consistency.

However, if you don't like the result, let me know, and I'll change it without hesitation.

Bruce
I like it ;-) so it's complete PL:OK :thumbs:

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 17th, 2020, 8:48 am

Chapter 8 is ready for PL.

Bruce

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 18th, 2020, 3:24 am

beeber wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 8:48 am
Chapter 8 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL:OK :clap:

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 20th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Chapter 9 is ready for PL.

Bruce

Gavenport
Posts: 1446
Joined: September 29th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Location: Gomadingen / Germany

Post by Gavenport » April 21st, 2020, 8:40 am

beeber wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 5:11 pm
Chapter 9 is ready for PL.

Bruce
PL:OK :clap:

beeber
Posts: 1228
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 7:46 am
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Post by beeber » April 22nd, 2020, 10:17 am

Chapter 10 is ready for PL.
Bruce

Post Reply