[Complete] The Crock of Gold by James Stephens - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 15 is uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/crockofgold_15_stephens_128kb.mp3 7:37

I know you've been on pins and needles since that cliffhanger in 14.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: August 24th, 2020, 3:10 pm Section 15 is uploaded.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/crockofgold_15_stephens_128kb.mp3 7:37

I know you've been on pins and needles since that cliffhanger in 14.
This section is too short!! I wanted more story to unfold!

BUT, it is PL OK!
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: September 15th, 2020, 8:12 pm Section 16 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/crockofgold_16_stephens_128kb.mp3 33:13
Section 16's two stories are truly tragic but PL OK.

The Philosopher's two gaol-mates have stories which are really very sad. These are examples of human disappointment richly described. This chapter MUST be the nadir of the book: nothing can be more mournful and melancholy. Please hurry with the next chapter so as to give your ol' DPL some relief from the gloom! :shock:
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 19 and 20 are ready for PL. The chapter was long, tedious and James Stephens' kind of "sustained crazy", so I divided it in two. I will divide two previously OK'd chapters in two also, so for now the MW seems a bit off. It will get straightened before cataloguing. One chapter left to record.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

PL Notes Sections 19 & 20

What rich language he has given us!

Notes:

Section 19 - the thin woman's journey

4:49 heard "granT pantomime"
s/b "granD pantomime"

10:55 His social commentary: Women also should love all other women as themselves, and they should hate all men but one man only, and him they should seek to turn into a woman, because women, by the order of their beings, must be either tyrants or slaves, and it is better they should be tyrants than slaves.
....For these reasons, and in order that life might not cease, women should seek to turn their husbands into women; then they would be tyrants and their husbands would be slaves, and life would be renewed for a further period.

15:42 Heard "God help her I and, so, good-bye".
I find it hard to understand these words either as written or as spoken. Perhaps the original was "God help her AND I; and, so, good-bye". Yes I know that grammatically this alteration should be "God help her AND ME; and, so, good-bye", but I'm not a famous writer.

18:14 heard "had been so fiercely careeNing"
s/b "had been so fiercely careeRing"

23:49 text at end of section 19: "they were forced to resume their journey in order to keep themselves warm."

=================================
Section 20 - the happy march

Starting text "There was a sickle moon in the sky,"

8:20 Heard "The first man spoke."
s/b "The first man spoke TO HER" --bold words missing
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 19 and 20 are uploaded with corrections, and I lowered the tempo of 19 -1.
I didn't find any error in the paragraph you cited with emboldened phrase in 19, so made no change there.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: November 8th, 2020, 5:14 pm Sections 19 and 20 are uploaded with corrections, and I lowered the tempo of 19 -1.
I didn't find any error in the paragraph you cited with emboldened phrase in 19, so made no change there.
That red/bold paragraph was just to note that it was the END of part 1.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

I was referring to this:
10:55 His social commentary: Women also should love all other women as themselves, and they should hate all men but one man only, and him they should seek to turn into a woman, because women, by the order of their beings, must be either tyrants or slaves, and it is better they should be tyrants than slaves.
....For these reasons, and in order that life might not cease, women should seek to turn their husbands into women; then they would be tyrants and their husbands would be slaves, and life would be renewed for a further period.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sections 19 and 20 spot check AOK, or PL OK
Not an easy piece to PL nor to read.
Thanks.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Looking forward to the corrections in section and chapter numbers in the MW.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 8:49 am Looking forward to the corrections in section and chapter numbers in the MW.
Yes, that is challenge #2, challenge #1 being 3 paragraphs of names of Irish Gods in the last chapter. I've asked for pronunciation help but so far none forthcoming. I may have to guess at most of them.

Right now I'm concentrating on the holidays, but there is a chance this book could catalog before the new year if we both get on it.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here is Section 21, Chapter 18. The final chapter.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/crockofgold_21_stephens_128kb.mp3 16:26
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Will PL Last chapter of Crock tonight.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 4th, 2021, 3:54 pm Here is Section 21, Chapter 18. The final chapter.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/crockofgold_21_stephens_128kb.mp3 16:26
PL NOTE for section 21

Whenever I get a chance to PL one of your sections, Michele, I have to look very hard because if I just jotted down "PL OK" you might think that I didn't really PL your section and just placed a bet that there were no "Oooopsies" to be found. I was beginning to think that you didn't leave anything for me to find in this fairy tale, and then, lo and behold I DID find a tiny glitch, but one I think you'll want to tend to:

At 14:29 one finds: The crow says a word to his brethren.... The word in red [crow] you've pronounced so as to rhyme with "NOW" and I'm pretty sure the author was referring to the common bird of the fields.

As always, you did a stellar job of reciting this section. :clap:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison