[COMPLETE] Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert by David Hilbert (1962 - 1943). Translated by E. J. Townsend (1864 - 1955)

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/foundations-of-geometry-by-david-hilbert/

Volunteers outside the USA: E. J. Townsend died in 1955. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies. <p>
Based on lectures given by David Hilbert in 1899 regarding the axiomatic foundations of geometry. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/17384
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special: text as standard; equations word-perfect please

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Mathematics
    Keywords that describe the book: geometry, Hilbert, axioms
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert. Translated by E. J. Townsend [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert. Translated by E. J. Townsend. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert. Translated by E. J. Townsend "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename foundationsofgeometry_##_hilbert_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. foundationsofgeometry_01_hilbert_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 V2 tags - not required, leave empty

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi, and welcome to Librivox.
A Solo is a big jump for a new reader , we usually suggest people start on something a bit easier, Either way , please do a "sound check" , usually called a 1 minute test, so you can check that your settings work for us - much easier to redo a less than 1 minute recording than a chapter if they aren't quite right. If you've mislaid your welcome email you can find the instructions in the Guides for Listeners and Volunteers linked in the forum heading.

Anne
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there and welcome!

I always love to have more math in the catalog! :thumbs:

I've quickly listened to your test and checked the specs - you're good to go!

However, there are a few issues we'll need to iron out before you start on this project. I see that this is already uploaded to your youtube channel. I have checked a few early recordings and I like the way you read this. However, I also noticed that you are deviating from the text in certain ways, for example you added all the bold words to the text below:
Instead of the word “determine,” we may also employ other forms of expression; for example,we may say the point A “lies upon” the line a, the point A “is a point of” the line a,...
It does help with understanding, obviously, but it also violates our text policies. Our text policy is "read the text as written", so you would have to go with "lower case a" and "capital A" or something rather than adding the line/point explanations.

I have only listened to a few very short excerpts of a section here and there, so I cannot say for sure, but I would guess that you would have to re-record pretty much the whole book to make it adhere to our text policies.

What do you say?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

No problem. I'll be more careful as I go forward. It's somewhat tricky to know how to read some mathematics as it's a symbolic language that doesn't necessarily make much sense unless you are looking at it.

I don't think there are many places where I did what you discovered here, but I will double check as I go.

I'm still learning my way around Audacity I've been using a different program called ocenaudio. I find simple editing much easier in ocenaudio but Audacity has several tools that ocenaudio doesn't.

Is the next step just to upload each chapter here, like I did the test recording?

The suggested START of recording script has
Say:
"SOLO Foundations of Geometry by David Hilbert, by David Hilbert. Translated by E. J. Townsend (1864 - 1955) [Chapter]"

I'm not sure why it has David Hilbert repeated each time. Is that what you want? Also not sure why dates are given for E. J. Townsend and not David Hilbert? Maybe I didn't fill out the template correctly?

Will the word SOLO remain in the recordings and title or will it be removed later?

This book has 7 chapters and 39 sections plus preface, table of contents, introduction, conclusion and appendix. Should I upload each section or can I combine and upload complete chapters?

I identify my weakness as the pronunciation of foreign words. My current method is to use Google translate and try to mimic what I hear there. There aren't a lot of foreign phrases in the text but several in the footnotes.

Speaking of footnotes, there is some question as when to read them? In the text they appear at the bottom of the page but often split a sentence of the main text. The * that refers to them are sometimes in the middle of a sentence too. My guess is read the footnote following the paragraph that made the reference. Is the * read as well?

How to handle illustrations? Sometimes the text will reference them directly but other times they are just there and talked about implicitly.

Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
Jim
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Just before I go to bed, let me address a few of the things you're bringing up, in order of your posting.

- it's not important what recording/editing software you are using as long as you can produce files to our requirements. We use audacity here because it is free and relatively quick to learn. If you have a problem with recording/editing, this is the program most of us are familiar with and can help you with.

- You're not uploading anything until you have a Meta Coordinator and a Magic Window. Please. :D

- We'll iron out the intro/outros a bit later.

- How many sections you have is your decision. Depends a bit on the length of each chapter (max. is 74 minutes). In this case, I would also take into account that this is mathematics and your readers might appreciate shorter recordings. But it's up to you. You'll need to settle on something before we begin; we can change it later relatively easily.

- We have several pronunciation guides linked in our wiki:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=English_Pronunciation_Guides
Further down are links to resources on how to say equations. I recommend the first one, the "Handbook for Spoken Mathematics" is my own go-to place.
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=English_Pronunciation_Guides#Mathematical_Equations_and_Notations
For the German words if there are any, I recommend this dictionary https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/ that contains German pronunciation for words including Gottingen :wink:

- footnotes are optional, you can choose if you want to read them. Personally, I leave out things like references to other books etc. but include those that give additional insight to the text.

- illustrations in scientific texts are always tricky. In general, we leave them out as a whole (i.e., caption and all) but leave all the references to the figures intact. Like: "Figure 7 shows how a black box works." etc. we read as written. There is always a link to the text on the finished catalog page so people can download it and look up the images if they feel so inclined.

I hope I could answer your questions. Let me know if there's anything more you want to know. It's best to iron out the kinks before you start recording this.

Oh: even if you have finished recording this project already, there will be a prooflistening phase. You will have to wait until the proof listener gives you an OK and/or have to be around to fix any errors she may find. It's not just an "upload and disappear" thing here. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

You're not uploading anything until you have a Meta Coordinator and a Magic Window.

Oh: even if you have finished recording this project already, there will be a prooflistening phase.
You will have to wait until the proof listener gives you an OK and/or have to be around to fix any errors she may find.
It's not just an "upload and disappear" thing here.
Easy, I'm new here and just asking how to proceed.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes. And that's exactly what I'm telling you. :D

I have cleaned up the intro/outro and the filenames.
In a solo, you have the full intro for the very first recording, and a shortened version for all the rest.
Personally, I only give the translator's name in the very first intro and the outro to the very last file, but that's your decision.

Speaking of which: Have you decided how many sections you will need for this? One up or down don't make a difference, but I'll need a ballpark value to set this up.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

I'm going to leave them separate. To 44 files should do it.

Thanks.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Good!

I have set this up now, your MW is ready for you. What to do with it and how to keep it updated is explained here:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window
You'll need an extra password for your MW, but once you have it, it will also work for the uploader.

I have taken the liberty to change the PL level to "Special: text as standard, equations word perfect". You can change it back, but I don't see much point in a math project if the equations are not correct. :wink:

Other than that, I think we're done so far - you're ready to go.
Let me know if you have any questions with this. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I am interested in doing the proof-listening, if you'll have me, Jim.
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

Thanks for getting this set up, Availle.

And thanks to Rapunzelina for offering to proof listen. I welcome your interest and advice.

Is the PL something I need to set-up or specify?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Nice job with the MW, well done!
jamnitzer wrote: February 26th, 2020, 1:24 pm Is the PL something I need to set-up or specify?
I'm not sure what you mean? I'll enter Rapunzelina into the database. You'll upload your recordings and she's giving feedback after listening to them. And you will have to address the feedback and reupload the files for a final spot-check.

Is that what you were asking?

In any case, I'll send us all over to "Going Solo". Have fun you two! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
jamnitzer

Post by jamnitzer »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

OH, good to see that this is moving forward! :thumbs:

As I mentioned above, as a soloist, you are responsible for the MW.
Please enter your file there, include the runtime in the "Notes" field and set the PL status to "PL needed".
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com