[COMPLETE] CAPTAIN SCOTT'S LAST EXPEDITION - JOURNAL (1913) - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thank you! It's more tricky recording from home rather than the office as I have to cope with various pigeons and robins who are noisy this time of year despite our double glazing - of course it was the sound of a skua or a penguin it would be OK!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Here are the maps - at last! Section 10 should be with you in a few days..... hope you are keeping safe.
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/SCOTT_MAPS.zip
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Got them. Thanks!
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Here is Section 10 - marking a vivid and evocative stage as Scott embarks at last with his pony and dog sledges. Although I have to say the expedition proper only begins a few months later (and a few more chapters) after a long wintering period camped on the ice. But I hope you enjoy this particular one as I did - and now you can use the maps!
https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/journalsofrobertfalconscottvol1_10_scott_128kb.mp3
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

volumes a tad low, amplify 3-4dB

Horses! I still can't understand why Scott (and other expeditions) thought horses would be useful on snow/ice. At least one made snowshoes for the horses and the horses still struggled.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

On volumes I forgot, when I began this project, that in the old days I used to apply a programme "MP3 gain" to my final files to regulate them all, and perhaps I should go back and do all this and re-upload so that there is a precise common level? I have been doing a final check by ear each time, but of course that can be rather self-deceptive! What would you advise? Also I haven't used any noise reduction on this project as you probably have realised though this is deliberate as I think it can take away from the character of the reading, especially in this case where one is inhabiting the world of the narrator... on Scott's horses, yes I do feel rather sorry of them especially as our story unfolds....
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

PS I also forgot to mention when I originally posted my S10 upload that I had added some short headings to the sledge inventories. As they stood I felt they would have been quite confusing, but I did want to keep them in the narrative as they are a fascinating insight into the daily life of the team (books, tobacco, pyjamas tops etc!)... so I thought some short descriptive headers would be permissible....
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

SteveGough wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am On volumes I forgot, when I began this project, that in the old days I used to apply a programme "MP3 gain" to my final files to regulate them all, and perhaps I should go back and do all this and re-upload so that there is a precise common level? I have been doing a final check by ear each time, but of course that can be rather self-deceptive! What would you advise?
First, I just like to mention that your volume level is just slightly below the minimum we seek (85.2 vs 86dB) and that I can with a single key stroke adjust all of your files to be around 89dB, the desired volume level at LV. We strongly encourage readers to submit files with volumes in the 86-92dB range but files just outside the range are not a problem. The best way to amplify a recorded file is using the "amplify" effect/function in Audacity (or in what recording program you are using). If you want to try doing this fine, otherwise I can amplify the file.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

SteveGough wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am PS I also forgot to mention when I originally posted my S10 upload that I had added some short headings to the sledge inventories. As they stood I felt they would have been quite confusing, but I did want to keep them in the narrative as they are a fascinating insight into the daily life of the team (books, tobacco, pyjamas tops etc!)... so I thought some short descriptive headers would be permissible....
I'll listen to the file again and get back to you.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Our mantra is "read it as written" but you are mostly replacing an English word for a mathematical symbol (e.g. "total" vs the symbol " ___") and it does clarify things quite nicely.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Thanks for all your advice, David. I finally managed to upload the latest version of MP3 onto my laptop and have 'normalised' all my Scott files to 89dB, and re-uploaded them. I don't use Audacity except on rare occasions because with my film background I am much more comfortable using the very sophisticated audio editor within Adobe Premiere Pro, so my plan now is to finish as always on an MP3 file out of Adobe and then normalise to 89dB on MP3gain before upload. Hope this will all work for you!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Amplifying after the fact raises the risk of clipping but with your files that does not seem to be an issue as the volumes are pretty consistent throughout the recording of each file. Enjoy.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Here is section 11. https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/journalsofrobertfalconscottvol1_11_scott_128kb.mp3
Another very interesting and evocative chapter, with a number of reflection on the lives of the dogs and ponies... Hope you are beginning to feel you are through the worst in Chicago, here in London the better news has been complicated by deep worries about what is going on in care homes for the elderly. A cousin of mine in Wales in his nineties has been taken by the virus in a nursing home. I did not know him well, but it is a loss....
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10-11 PL OK.

Yes, things are improving here. I now know of two families that have lost sons. Both men had health issues. One of them was only in his 50s.