[COMPLETE] Ornaments in Jade by Arthur Machen - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Ornaments in Jade by Arthur Machen (1863 - 1947).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ornaments-in-jade-by-arthur-machen/
Ornaments in Jade is a bizarre, dreamlike collection of short fiction from Arthur Machen, with ten short, enigmatic tales of the uncanny, decadent, and phantasmagoric. (ChuckW)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ornaments_in_Jade/Dp8FAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: horror, prose poems, lovecraftian horror, microfiction

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Ornaments in Jade. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Ornaments in Jade, by Arthur Machen. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Ornaments in Jade by Arthur Machen. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Ornaments in Jade, by Arthur Machen. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename ornamentsinjade_##_machen_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ornamentsinjade_01_machen_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on January 11th, 2020, 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

A couple of notes--

I don't typically run multiple solo projects at once (especially when I'm running behind on one of them), but I've been planning on launching this project for about a year now and wanted to claim this one before someone beat me to it. In a sign of good faith, I've also recorded 4 sections (and edited 3) ahead of launching this.

I'm also reading this from a vintage hardcopy from our university library, from the original 1924 print run. I half-expected Archive.org or HathiTrust to have a scanned copy up and running by now, but it hasn't popped up anywhere yet. I'll probably wind up scanning my own copy and uploading it to archive.org before I finish this off.

I'd also like to record this one quickly, with a tentative deadline of late February. It's pretty short, so I don't think this will be a problem.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Chuck,
Before I can set this up I need you to upload to my folder (craigdav1) using the LV uploader a zipped file that contains a copy of (1) the title page and (2) the page containing the copyright year (post the link in this thread). They will be added to the folder that contains the audio files. Once I have those I can set up your MW.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

craigdav1 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 3:15 pm Chuck,
Before I can set this up I need you to upload to my folder (craigdav1) using the LV uploader a zipped file that contains a copy of (1) the title page and (2) the page containing the copyright year (post the link in this thread). They will be added to the folder that contains the audio files. Once I have those I can set up your MW.
No problem. Thanks for volunteering to be my MC. :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/Ornaments.zip
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Let me know if any changes are needed,
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

craigdav1 wrote: January 9th, 2020, 4:48 pm Let me know if any changes are needed,
That's perfect, thank you. :-)

And I went ahead and uploaded the four chapters I've recorded. I'll try to do the rest next week.
PROJECTS
Claire

Post by Claire »

Not to butt in but your post intrigued me so I searched and
found that Goodreads already has a scanned copy up here!

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ornaments_in_Jade/Dp8FAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

Best!
Lee Ann
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Chuck,
Check to see if this is the version you were planning to read. The copyright date is clearly visible. Google books are blocked from view in some countries (e.g. Canada) so we try to find other sources but any e-text link is better than none.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hey Chuck!

What a cool project ... would love to DPL this one!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

NemoR wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:06 pm Hey Chuck!

That would be incredibly helpful! Thank you Nemo!
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

craigdav1 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm Chuck,
Check to see if this is the version you were planning to read. The copyright date is clearly visible. Google books are blocked from view in some countries (e.g. Canada) so we try to find other sources but any e-text link is better than none.
Claire wrote: January 10th, 2020, 12:26 pm Not to butt in but your post intrigued me so I searched and

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ornaments_in_Jade/Dp8FAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover

Best!
Lee Ann
Holy smokes, what a great find! I can't believe this was already out there.

This is identical from the 1924 edition I picked up from the library. This should work nicely for our purposes. Thanks!
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

ChuckW wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:54 am
NemoR wrote: January 10th, 2020, 5:06 pm Hey Chuck!
That would be incredibly helpful! Thank you Nemo!
NemoR added as DPL
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

PL Notes:

For the sections recorded so far (1,2,4,5) in the intro you say "section" instead of "chapter" as outlined in the instructions. I am totally cool with that as long as you are. Wouldn't hold up a PL OK for this, but just pointing it out.

Section 1 - PL OK!

Section 2 - PL OK!

Section 4 - PL OK!

Section 5- Starting at 6:01, I hear a repeat of the text:"and amongst all these problems which she hardly recognized as problems". I kind of like the 2nd version better, but if you could trim one of them and upload again for a Spot PL, that would be great!

These were all very wonderful readings Chuck ... you have such a way with them that is just captivating!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

ChuckW wrote: January 11th, 2020, 6:55 am
craigdav1 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm Chuck,
Claire wrote: January 10th, 2020, 12:26 pm Not to butt in but your post intrigued me so I searched and
Best!
Lee Ann
Holy smokes, what a great find! I can't believe this was already out there.
This is identical from the 1924 edition I picked up from the library. This should work nicely for our purposes. Thanks!
Project screen updated.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

NemoR wrote: January 11th, 2020, 7:12 am PL Notes:

For the sections recorded so far (1,2,4,5) in the intro you say "section" instead of "chapter" as outlined in the instructions. I am totally cool with that as long as you are. Wouldn't hold up a PL OK for this, but just pointing it out.

Section 1 - PL OK!

Section 2 - PL OK!

Section 4 - PL OK!

Section 5- Starting at 6:01, I hear a repeat of the text:"and amongst all these problems which she hardly recognized as problems". I kind of like the 2nd version better, but if you could trim one of them and upload again for a Spot PL, that would be great!

These were all very wonderful readings Chuck ... you have such a way with them that is just captivating!
Oh, right. I should have changed that, sorry. I'll be doing section #s instead of chapters, since that's a little more accurate to the structure of the book.

And thank you. This book is a sheer pleasure to read -- Machen's prose just rolls off the tongue. I can't wait to record more sections later this weekend.

I'll also fix Section 5 as soon as I get a chance. I appreciate the help!
PROJECTS