[COMPLETE]Dr. Doolittle's Post Office - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Dr. Doolittle's Post Office by Hugh Lofting (1886 - 1947).

This exciting project is now available in our catalog at https://librivox.org/doctor-dolittles-post-office-by-hugh-lofting/
Doctor Dolittle's Post Office is the third of Hugh Lofting's Doctor Dolittle books. In this book, Doctor Dolittle helps to capture a slave trader's ship, then organizes the postal service of a small African kingdom, Fantippo, ruled over by King Koko. Over the course of later chapters, he discovers a hidden island populated by prehistoric creatures, gets thrown into another African jail, invents animal alphabets, and defeats at least two armies. Each of the animals in the Dolittle family also tells a personal story. The postal program grows into a worldwide postal and publishing service for the benefit of animals everywhere. Adventures abound and the Doctor helps as much as possible. ( philc)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58947
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    My DPL is the multi-talented COLLEEN ! :clap:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: animals

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Dr. Doolittle's Post Office . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Dr. Doolittle's Post Office , by Hugh Lofting. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Dr. Doolittle's Post Office by Hugh Lofting. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Dr. Doolittle's Post Office , by Hugh Lofting. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename drdoolittlespostoffice_##_lofting_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. drdoolittlespostoffice_01_lofting_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I’m interested in PLing this—the new movie coming out and an upcoming article I’m working on about Lofting and the Dolittle books has me wanting to check out his works and this seems like a great opportunity!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ColleenMc wrote: December 18th, 2019, 3:38 pm I’m interested in PLing this—the new movie coming out and an upcoming article I’m working on about Lofting and the Dolittle books has me wanting to check out his works and this seems like a great opportunity!

Colleen
Thank you colleen. Just curious, why are you so interested in Lofting? What article are you researching?
EDIT: There is also a dramatic reading of this book going on at this time so if you would like to be an animal or two, check it out.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I write a biweekly column on a SF fan site, File 770, about
Public domain works I come across that are of interest to the fans there. I decided to look at Lofting for my first January entry since it will coincide with the release of the RDJ movie.

I'll pass on the dramatic reading...I read a little fiction but non-fiction is more in my wheelhouse. I'm not much for the acting!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

That is ultra cool Colleen! a column about SF stuff. I've loved SF since a little boy in fact, I just finished recording The Variable Man by Philip K. Dick. Thanks again for being my DPL for this book about talking animals. :D
Of course my favorites to record are Robert Howards Conan t hings. He writes so smoothly.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks! I took December off because my second "due date" (I set my own deadline to make sure I stay on a regular schedule) was on 12/24 and as the first approached last week it looked like there was nothing new on LV to write about and I had been busy with other things, so I decided to take the whole month off. But here's a link to the most recent one:

http://file770.com/wandering-through-the-public-domain-25/

I always mention the latest LV releases in the science fiction/fantasy/horror areas (occasionally mystery that might be of interest, like Sherlock Holmes) so your projects show up quite a lot. :)

Did you ever see the movie about Robert E. Howard? I remember one existed and went to look it up -- it's called "The Whole Wide World" and it came out in 1996. I was shocked! I would have said "in the last 10 years" if someone asked me when it was made. I'm getting so old!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Happy Mardi Gras Season !! https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/drdoolittlespostoffice_02_lofting_128kb.mp3

First 3 sect ions ready to listen to.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Happy Mardi Gras Season !! Image

First 3 sect ions ready to listen to.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Great! I'll get on it...

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi!

I listened to section 0 Prologue and found these potential issues:

--Checker reads the volume a bit high at 92.3

--00:48: "Pushmipullyu" read as "push me pull me"

--01:56 "savage" -- text says "strange" (not something I would ordinarily quibble with but 'savage' is a loaded term that I think it's better to avoid if it's not actually in the text...)

So far so good, off to a nice start!

Colleen

PS Do you put the times in the MW or do I? Or are you waiting til the project is finished (or sections finalized) to do that?
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 1 also has high volume at 92.6 according to Checker.

Only one small note -- you say "Section 1 Chapter 1" but didn't read the title of the chapter "Zuzana".

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Section 2: volume also high at 93.2

Everything else sounds great!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yippee again Colleen. Thanks again for doing this.

Sections 1, 2 and 3 have been uploaded with corrections made. all have had volume reduced.

Don't worry about times, I keep track of those separately. :thumbs:
EDIT: This book, while very entertaining, is very much euro-centric and endows English culture with the the best of everything. Everybody else was definitely sub standard. This has to be understood and taken into consideration when reading. Hope you understand.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

philchenevert wrote: January 13th, 2020, 7:13 pm Yippee again Colleen. Thanks again for doing this.

Sections 1, 2 and 3 have been uploaded with corrections made. all have had volume reduced.

Don't worry about times, I keep track of those separately. :thumbs:
EDIT: This book, while very entertaining, is very much euro-centric and endows English culture with the the best of everything. Everybody else was definitely sub standard. This has to be understood and taken into consideration when reading. Hope you understand.
Oh I know about the Eurocentric part, that’s a built in with the stuff we read that’s in PD, but there’s no sense in adding to it that’s why I mentioned that word change. “Strange” is already a problematic term to some extent but “savage” takes it up a notch—and given how often terms like that show up in writing from this era it’s totally natural to see it there when reading it.
Colleen McMahon

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Chapter 11 is in the magic window ready for proof listening. It just gets funner and funner. Image