[COMPLETE] Vinzi: A Story of the Swiss Alps by Johanna Spyri - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I don’t remember noticing it before this book either. But like you said, it made sense to me too when I thought about it. :)
~Rosebud
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Chapter 1 uploaded and ready for PL.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

:thumbs: I noticed you were online and wondered if you have more. :) It might go a few days till I can get to it.
~Rosebud
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

No worries! I'll keep reading along... as I mentioned, I think time will be getting tighter closer to the holidays for me, too. Just FYI -- as a rule, I usually do my Librivox readings Mon-Fri in the morning, so weekends tend not to be productive (as a rule.... there are exceptions). I like the story so far! Hope it doesn't make me cry like Heidi did. :lol:
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Chapter 1 is PL OK :D
~Rosebud
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Pretty good timing! Chapter 2 is uploaded and ready for PL. Question: There are 3 footnotes in this book. Do we do anything with them? I guess I sailed right over the one in chapter 1 about the Gemmi pass.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Up to you how you want to handle the footnotes. About me you may skip them unless you feel they’re needed to give clarity to the story.

I’m not home today and tomorrow, so I’ll see how far I get with PLing. Main thing I can’t do is run files through checker. You always check yours, don’t you?
~Rosebud
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

I do run it through checker. I'm not sure I look for anything other than length and volume (Ch. 2 is 89.1). Anything more I need to look at? Re: the footnotes. I don't think the reader misses anything significant if they aren't there. I just don't know how they are usually handled.

Basically, the 3 footnotes are:

Gemmi references:
[A] The Gemmi is a remarkable mountain pass across the Alps.

Miss Landrat:
Miss Country-rat.

Explaining why a character known for staring was called "Starri from Leuk":
[C] The Starer from Leuk.

Let me know what you think and if you think they should be added, how do we usually do that?

Thanks--
Anita
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

The way I’ve heard footnotes read before was: “Footnote: [footnote content] End of footnote.”

Usually it’s up to the BC on whether or not they want them read. I think either way is fine on these. And if you think one should be read but not the others, that’s also fine. A BC can choose to have read: all, none, or only whatever seems most needed. Hope this makes sense! :)

About checker, volume is the main thing I make sure is OK. Perfect level, great! :thumbs: I also like checking the background noise level, and glancing at DC Bias to ensure that’s close to 0. Your files have always been fine in all of these aspects, so I’m not worried at all. Just like to cover my bases. :D
~Rosebud
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

My thinking on footnotes is, if they don't add to the story, they will become a distraction. I leave it up to you, but if you feel they are not adding anything to the story, don't worry about them.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

Good input.... thanks Rosebud and Ann. In this case, I think we can omit the footnotes without losing anything in the story.
Anitazz

Post by Anitazz »

BTW: Here is the Checker report. I don't see anything for background noise and I seem to remember a thread where people were discussing the version of Checker and what info it provided. I came to the conclusion that not all work the same and no one seemed to be able to figure out how to get the version which had the background noise displayed. Oh, well......

vinzi_02_spyri_128kb.mp3
File Size
25.4 MiB

Encoding Type
MPEG-1 Layer III (encoded with LAME3.99r)
MP3 Format
128 kbps 44,100 Hz Mono
Track Length
27:45.23 (m:ss.ss)

Volume
89.1 dB
DC Bias
+0 (+0.0000%)
Clipped Audio
0 ms (0.00%)

RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Thanks! Yes, background has to be checked in validation preferences (or whatever it’s called) for it to show. But it’s fine, as I only use it to alert me to be extra watchful if the number is higher. Everything looks great! And I just got done listening- PL OK :clap:
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

By the way, I wanted to tell you that I think you’re doing a great job with this project! I really enjoy your expression, your way of bringing out the story. When I was reading the story earlier, I had pronounced several of the names differently than you do, but I like your pronunciation better.

So in short, I'm impressed! :)
~Rosebud
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

When you have the Checker window open, click on Validation. It's at the top of the window, the third option. A drop down menu that will pop in, click on Chose Validation Methods. There will be boxes with or without check marks. Click on the box next to Background Noise so that one is checked, then click Change.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!