[COMPLETE] Exit Betty by Grace Livingston Hill - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

In the meantime, I did listen to the chapter. The content was fine, full of action, and your voice fits wonderfully with the story. I did notice that your volume seemed to go up and down a lot, sometimes even within words and sentences. Looking at your waveform in Audacity, the spikes also showed that. I saw a bit of clipping too. I might suggest using the compressor effect to even out the waveforms. You may have to amplify afterwards though. Overall, I can't wait for more!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thanks so much for trying to help! I've been talking with Kristine and hopefully we can figure it out soon.
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Oh, I just read your comments.. thank you! I will try compressing it to fix the volume. I haven't done that before, but I'll figure it out and fix it. :D
lymiewithpurpose

Jbholland77 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 6:21 pm Thanks so much for trying to help! I've been talking with Kristine and hopefully we can figure it out soon.
I hope so too! These MWs can be a bother to get into. I'm finishing DPLing another project where the reader had difficulty getting into as well. But once you get in it should go smoothly!
Jbholland77 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm Oh, I just read your comments.. thank you! I will try compressing it to fix the volume. I haven't done that before, but I'll figure it out and fix it. :D
Perfect! If you need setting suggestions, mine are -12, -40, 7:1, 0.2, and 1, in order, with neither of the boxes below checked. And it is just in the effects menu. If it works, you should see most of the spikes disappear and have a more even looking wave form. Let me know if you need more help!
Campbell
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Thank you so much for all of your help.. I really appreciate it!!
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Hi! I followed your suggestions for compression, then went in and tweaked the amplification a little. Hopefully, everything is good now. Just let me know if I need to work on it further. Thanks! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/exitbetty_01_hill_128kb.mp3
17:41
lymiewithpurpose

Jbholland77 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 8:53 am Hi! I followed your suggestions for compression, then went in and tweaked the amplification a little. Hopefully, everything is good now. Just let me know if I need to work on it further. Thanks! :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/kikisaulite/exitbetty_01_hill_128kb.mp3
17:41
Awesome! I listened to little patches, and it sounded so much better. The volume sounds much more even and consistent now and you can see that in the Audacity waveforms. I know I love the compressor, I use it on all of my recordings to get it as even as possible. This is PL OK!

P.S. I saw the MW has some info in it, does that mean you got in?
Campbell
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Yes, I love the compressor now! I can't believe I didn't know about it before. I still haven't been able to get into the MW. I think Kristine must have put in the information.
lymiewithpurpose

Jbholland77 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:40 pm Yes, I love the compressor now! I can't believe I didn't know about it before. I still haven't been able to get into the MW. I think Kristine must have put in the information.
I'm sure there are a lot of effects out there that I don't know about and would love... it's cool when people find them. And aww man for the MW. I had gotten my hopes up! Hopefully it gets worked out soon.
Campbell
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Jbholland77 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 2:40 pm Yes, I love the compressor now! I can't believe I didn't know about it before. I still haven't been able to get into the MW. I think Kristine must have put in the information.
You should have access now. :)
Jo
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: November 24th, 2019, 9:43 pm
You should have access now. :)

Awesome!! Thank you so very much!
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

Section 2 uploaded in the MW. I hope it did it right! This was my first time using the MW :D
lymiewithpurpose

Jbholland77 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:38 am Section 2 uploaded in the MW. I hope it did it right! This was my first time using the MW :D
Awesome, I will listen either today or tomorrow.

Nice work on the MW! I saw that you got the file uploaded and entered. There are only two small things left to do. The first is to enter the chapter titles in the title section. Some soloists like to put all of the titles in at the beginning, others like to enter them as they upload.

Also, make sure to change the status every time you upload to either 'Ready for PL' or 'Ready for Spot PL', depending on what it is. That makes it show up in my DPL list so that I don't forget it. Also, when I change it to 'See PL Notes' or 'PL OK' you can see it in your list if you use that!
Campbell
Jbholland77

Post by Jbholland77 »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:55 am
Jbholland77 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:38 am Section 2 uploaded in the MW. I hope it did it right! This was my first time using the MW :D

Nice work on the MW! I saw that you got the file uploaded and entered. There are only two small things left to do. The first is to enter the chapter titles in the title section. Some soloists like to put all of the titles in at the beginning, others like to enter them as they upload.

Also, make sure to change the status every time you upload to either 'Ready for PL' or 'Ready for Spot PL', depending on what it is. That makes it show up in my DPL list so that I don't forget it. Also, when I change it to 'See PL Notes' or 'PL OK' you can see it in your list if you use that!

Thanks for your help! I updated the PL status. What do I do if the Chapters don't have titles? Should I leave that area blank or just write out "Chapter 1", etc?
lymiewithpurpose

Jbholland77 wrote: December 5th, 2019, 1:08 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: December 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

Thanks for your help! I updated the PL status. What do I do if the Chapters don't have titles? Should I leave that area blank or just write out "Chapter 1", etc?
Awesome! "Chapter 1" is the most standard way of filling out the MW in this case. The other thing that I see is "Section 1", but that is mainly in cases of poetry and stuff where multiple things are read in one file.
Campbell