[Complete] The Hawaiian Archipelago by Isabella L. Bird - Lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

The Hawaiian Archipelago by Isabella L. Bird (1831 - 1904).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-hawaiian-archipelago-by-isabella-l-bird/

Six months among the palm groves, coral reefs, and volcanoes of the Sandwich Islands. ( Isabella Bird)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6750
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Isabella L. Bird) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Bird
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Bird
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 38
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1875

============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: Don't know what to put at the moment, so will discuss with Lynnet (MC),

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section[number] of The Hawaiian Archipelago. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say:
      "The Hawaiian Archipelago, by Isabella L. Bird. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Hawaiian Archipelago by Isabella L. Bird. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Sectiontitle]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Hawaiian Archipelago, by Isabella L. Bird. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[br]
  • Example filename hawaiianarchipelago_##_bird_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. hawaiianarchipelago_01_bird_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Isabella L. Bird
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: The Hawaiian Archipelago

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • Select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Jmbau13 on November 14th, 2019, 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
regards
Jane Bennett
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have set up the MW for you and suggested how you might want to set it up.
It looks like you have BCd before, so know how to access the MW and edit the first post. Just ask if you're not sure.
I'm adding a tilde (~) to advertise for a DPL.
The whole section in the first post about ID tags can be ignored -- they get added automatically at cataloguing. You can even delete that section if you wish.

Any more questions, please ask. Have fun with it and remember it's on your own schedule... although if you could check in periodically, that would be great. A simple "life has been busy, but I'm still working on it" is fine.

Lynne
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Thank you very much, Lynne! Sorry, forgot the ~.
Looks good.
Will definitely keep you informed, and won't simply disappear in silence. Looking forward to it.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

I haven't been a BC, only reader, PL and DPL to date.
Is there anything different about editing the 1st post? I tried, and ended up with a duplicate post and duplicate MW, so I deleted it. Tried again and just made a small change this time, which seems to have worked.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

I have now uploaded Section 0.
I was unable to add the link into the MW - it lets me add it, but doesn't save it. Is there some kind of trick to this?
The only thing I'm able to change is the PL status.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/hawaiianarchipelago_00_bird_128kb.mp3 13m 17s
regards
Jane Bennett
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, when you were added as a DPL, it seems the MC also added you as a BC 8-)

For the MW, it's the same... although you may not know that when you enter anything in the notes column (e.g. the time), you have to save it, For other columns you 'enter'... don't ask me why. One of the interesting things about LV!

To edit the first post, look towards the top on the right... probably nearer the centre, if you're looking on a small screen, There is an icon that looks like a pencil (if you have a vivid imagination or use pre-schoolers' pencils :lol: :lol: ) That is the edit button. Save your edits at the bottom.

I'll move it to Going Solo That won't affect anything you do, but keeps the Launch Pad tidy.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Oh that’s the trick! It had eluded me. I kept thinking a Save button should appear (as it does in Notes) and never thought to press Enter. Thanks!
regards
Jane Bennett
quoth

Post by quoth »

I can be the DPL if this project still needs one.
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

quoth wrote: November 17th, 2019, 1:38 pm I can be the DPL if this project still needs one.
It does, and thank you very much. I haven't yet populated the MW with all the sections, although the number of them should be correct.
regards
Jane Bennett
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

regards
Jane Bennett
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I have added quoth to the list of proof listeners and also to this project.

Here are the instructions for logging in to the MW. It is the same for a DPL as for a BC. Please note, this only gives you access to the MW for projects where you are DPL or BC.

Accessing the System – First Time Login
1. Use this Link to go the main login screen: http://librivox.org/workflow
2. Click on Login (for BCs & MCs)
3. Enter your forum username.
4. Click “Forgot Password”
5. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password. Click the link and enter a password and submit the form. (Note this should be more secure than your 'regular' password)
6. Go back to the main login screen and use the new password you entered above to log in to the system.
7. When you log in from the main screen above, you will be taken to the LibriVox Management Dashboard default screen where you should see a list of your active projects along with options for dropdown menus, searching and editing your profile. (more on this later)
For more explicit step by step directions with screen shots, please see Accessing the System - First Time Login
NOTE: BCs should use their personal workflow login to upload files. If you recently logged in with the general login to upload files to a project and the system still had you logged in, you may see this:
You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout
To remedy this, click Logout and then login with your BC login and password.

Please note, this doesn't always work the first time.

If you are still having trouble after 3 or 4 attempts, PM knotyouraveragejo

From <viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71538&hilit=missing+formula>
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I’d strongly recommend reading Prooflistening 101 in the wiki before starting...

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=ProofListening_tips_and_quiz
ADKreader1122

Post by ADKreader1122 »

Hi Lynne and Jane,
I see that someone has offered to DPL this project. I'd be glad to help as well; just let me know if it's needed in the future. Thanks!
Lora
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

Thanks Very much Lynne for all your generous help and guidance.
Will keep you in mind Lora!
regards
Jane Bennett
quoth

Post by quoth »

I have read through the PL FAQ, and listened to section 0 - PL OK