COMPLETE [SOLO] Clever Hans by Oskar Pfungst-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

This project is now complete! All files can be found at https://librivox.org/clever-hans-by-oskar-pfungst/

Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten) by Oskar Pfungst (1874 - 1933). Translated by Carl Leo Rahn (1881 -)

Oskar Pfungst's book is a detailed piece of investigative journalism looking into Clever Hans, an Orlov Trotter horse that was claimed to have performed arithmetic and other intellectual tasks. Pfungst details the results of many experiments, by the end of which he is able to explain exactly how Hans did it. This classic example of the observer-expectancy effect is still relevant today, as the "Clever Hans effect" has to be taken into account whenever a study of animal intelligence takes place. ( Jordan and Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/33936
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten). This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten), by Oskar Pfungst. Translated by Carl Leo Rahn [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten) by Oskar Pfungst. Translated by Carl Leo Rahn. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten), by Oskar Pfungst. Translated by Carl Leo Rahn"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename cleverhans_##_pfungst_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. cleverhans_01_pfungst_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Oskar Pfungst
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Clever Hans (The Horse of Mr. Von Osten)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by JorWat on November 12th, 2019, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

I believe silverquill wants to be DPL.
Jordan

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JorWat wrote: November 12th, 2019, 4:57 am I believe silverquill wants to be DPL.
I haven't had a chance to look at this, but will do so this evening when we get back from retreat.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Another challenging book -- quite a few charts and tables, footnotes and long sections. But if you're brave enough to take it on, I'd be glad to PL for you. Should that be two taps or three? :lol:
~ Larry
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Yeah, some of these chapters are very long. Chapter V, for example, has about 24,000 words (or least it does when you include the mammoth footnotes. Seriously, look at the original book, some of these footnotes are over two pages long!). But I've dealt with long sections before. Heck, I've done a section that's the maximum 74 minutes long. I'll be fine.

Famous last words...
Jordan

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Interesting book. And I have a special love of footnotes. :help: So, a MW will show up shortly. :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Done. Please let me know if everything looks ok, and I will move us to Going Solo.
Leni
=================
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Leni wrote: November 13th, 2019, 6:14 am Interesting book. And I have a special love of footnotes. :help: So, a MW will show up shortly. :mrgreen:
Ah, good, as I'm one of those people who is willing to read all the footnotes!

Thanks for MCing.
Jordan

Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

JorWat wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:41 am Ah, good, as I'm one of those people who is willing to read all the footnotes!

Thanks for MCing.
A well written footnote is a piece of art, my friend! :mrgreen:

Moving to Going Solo.
Leni
=================
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Jordan

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JorWat wrote: November 18th, 2019, 10:02 am And away we go!

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cleverhans_01_pfungst_128kb.mp3
Tally-ho!
And, PL OK.
~ Larry
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Chapter 1 is complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cleverhans_02_pfungst_128kb.mp3
Even though Hans did not appear as willing and reliable in the case of strangers as in the case of his own master, this might easily be explained by the lack of authoritativeness on their part and of affection on the part of Hans, who for the last four years had had intercourse only with his master.
This is becoming a very different type of book... Yes, I know 'intercourse' means 'communication'!
Jordan

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

JorWat wrote: December 16th, 2019, 9:46 am Chapter 1 is complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cleverhans_02_pfungst_128kb.mp3
Even though Hans did not appear as willing and reliable in the case of strangers as in the case of his own master, this might easily be explained by the lack of authoritativeness on their part and of affection on the part of Hans, who for the last four years had had intercourse only with his master.
This is becoming a very different type of book... Yes, I know 'intercourse' means 'communication'!
Yes, we encounter that a lot in these older books.
A lot of overtime days this week, but then we should be through the crush, and I'll have time to listen.

~Larry
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Chapter 2 is PL OK.

Hans, the equine calculator.
What is more amazing is the he apparently understands German.
~ Larry
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Section 3 is finally ready.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cleverhans_03_pfungst_128kb.mp3

Quick point: at 15:58, instead of "After this we undertook the test the horse's far-famed knowledge of the calendar", I said "After this we undertook to test the horse's far-famed knowledge of the calendar". I checked, and the original book says 'the test' (so it's not a transcription error), but I think this is a mistake in the original text, as I don't think it makes sense as written.
Jordan