[COMPLETE] The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks by Joseph Banks - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks [Journal from 25 August 1768-12 July 1771] by Joseph Banks (1743 - 1820).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/the-endeavour-journal-of-sir-joseph-banks-from-25-august-1768-12-july-1771-by-joseph-banks/
In this Journal, Joseph Banks records almost daily observations of the journey of the ship the Endeavour on the first of James Cook’s voyages to the Pacific during the years 1768-1771. There are also more detailed accounts of the events, people, flora, fauna and geology of the places (except Brazil) where they landed. They landed at Brazil, Tahiti, New Zealand, Australia, Batavia, Cape Town and St. Helena.

Joseph Banks was one of the naturalists on the Endeavour, appointed by the Royal Society. The joint Royal Society, Royal Navy journey of the Endeavour was overtly a scientific expedition with the stated purpose of observing the transit of Venus from Tahiti. The other purpose of the journey was to attempt the discovery of the postulated Southern Continent (Terra Australis). In addition to himself, Banks funded the inclusion on the voyage of two other naturalists (Solander and Spöring) and two artists (Parkinson and Buchan).

Joseph Banks became famous upon the return to Britain of the Endeavour and went on to be a highly influential person in Britain. Banks was President of the British Royal Society for more than 40 years; and was a strong advocate for the settlement of New South Wales as a convict settlement. Along with James Cook, he was responsible for representing the Australian continent as terra nullius (“nobody’s land”) even though he observed the occupation of the land by the indigenous Australians, which misrepresentation contributed to the colonization of Australia by the British. Now, 250 years after the Endeavour's voyage, controversy and the voices of indigenous people are leading to a reassessment of the effects of James Cook’s voyages and the colonial legacy of Australia and New Zealand. (Gail Timmerman-Vaughan)

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0501141h.html#aug1768
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: AdYESyIq

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Joseph Banks) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Banks

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 36
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): The text file of this work was prepared in 1962 from the manuscript "The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks, 1768—1771" held at the State Library of NSW.
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================
[/size]
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography/Exploration; *Non-fiction/Science/Life Sciences

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks [Journal from 25 August 1768-12 July 1771]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks [Journal from 25 August 1768-12 July 1771], by Joseph Banks. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks [Journal from 25 August 1768-12 July 1771] by Joseph Banks. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks [Journal from 25 August 1768-12 July 1771], by Joseph Banks. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename endeavourjournal_##_banks_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. endeavourjournal_01_banks_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by gailtv on May 13th, 2021, 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll look at the book later, when I have stopped uploading

Anne
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Anne -

Wow! You are super-speedy.

(I think I have had occasion to note that before.)

Many thanks.

What I was thinking was something like:

I - August 1768
II - September 1768
III - October 1768
or should I use regular numbers rather than Roman numerals?

the rub comes with January 1769 which might look like

VI - January 1769, 1st - 15th
VII - January 1769, 16th - 31st.

Although I don't think that is quite the right division of the dates to halve the text. That sort of thing I can do on the run so long as I have a reasonably logical scheme to describe the Sections (for cataloguing in the future).

Later on, there are more complications. For example, the section entitled "Some Account of ... New South Wales" - which is long (so may need 2 parts) AND seems to out of chronological order, although that is where it is presented in the Gutenberg version.

I'd appreciate your thoughts (yours too David), but no hurry since I will finish the Queen's Necklace before I start on this one.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Just a note. We have a DPL for this project - it is craigdav1.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Leaving a cookie crumb.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 5:27 am Leaving a cookie crumb.
Pumpkin spice?
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

gailtv wrote: October 28th, 2019, 12:23 pm
craigdav1 wrote: October 28th, 2019, 5:27 am Leaving a cookie crumb.
Pumpkin spice?
Sounds delicious (and very seasonally appropriate).
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Ha! It's a good read as I recall. The disastrous time Endeavour had on the Great Barrier Reef and the terrific time everybody had in Tahiti. :D

Best,

Barbara
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

barbara2 wrote: November 17th, 2019, 2:17 am Ha! It's a good read as I recall. The disastrous time Endeavour had on the Great Barrier Reef and the terrific time everybody had in Tahiti. :D

Best,

Barbara
Thanks for the input. I hope that my reading and recording does it justice. Cheers. Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Here is the first Section.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_01_banks_128kb.mp3
3:45.6, 89.5 dB

As the Journal goes on, please let me know if my reading doesn't make sense in places. The text is not modernised [much] so words are spelled differently and a lot of punctuation that we would put in today is missing. I will try to pick up on and fix awkwardnesses when I am proof-listening and editing.... but I suspect that this is going to prove rather soporific to read and proof listen/edit so I may miss things. [I had to stop reading in the middle of Section 02 because my eyelids got heavy.]

Many thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK.

I'm pumped about this book so listening closely will not be a problem.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David and Anne --

Here is Section 02. Thanks David for listening to 01. Glad you are looking forward to this book

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_02_banks_128kb.mp3
31:35.2, 88.7

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on whether it sounds okay.

On another topic -- I have discovered that Amazon Audible is selling an audiobook that I recorded years ago -- my first Solo -- The Black Tulip. It's a terrible recording because my equipment was quite poor back then -- a cheap headset and weaker audio editing skills -- not that it is studio quality now, but it is better.... They want $9.82. GRRRRR -- wouldn't it be great if anything that they earned would go to Librivox?. https://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Tulip/dp/B06WP81X46 Presumably the "publisher" SAGAEgmont edited out all the intros and mention of Librivox for each Chapter. GRRR. However, if people are stupid enough to pay money for something they can get for free..... I wonder about sneaking a Librivox disclaimer in at the END of each Chapter (if I ever think I am recording another book that will go into the 300,000 views+).

You are both MCs. Any thoughts? Could Librivox start to use a higher level of Creative Commons licensing that restricts commercial use? I'd guess this is a well-worn concern and I am not alone although only new to this. The images that I post on iNaturalistNZ (user name gailtv) are protected by CC Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). This means among other things that they can be edited and sampled, that attribution has to be given, but that no commercial use can be made, and that someone can't throw their own IP protection on top. Why doesn't Librivox use that level? Simplicity perhaps?

Cheers, and thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

29:06 fish that was taken?

Reading sounds fine. As to your Audible audiobook, my recommendation is to write a review of the book telling everyone that it is available free at librivox.org. You might even mention that you are the reader.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 8:40 pm 2
29:06 fish that was taken?

Reading sounds fine. As to your Audible audiobook, my recommendation is to write a review of the book telling everyone that it is available free at librivox.org. You might even mention that you are the reader.
Hi -- Thanks for spotting that mistake. I've repaired it and it now is "The first that had been taken...".

Thanks also for the advice about Audible. I had thought of something similar too but it isn't going to work. I have to "own" the audiobook to review it and I'm not interested in spending money or having a free trial on Audible; and they would vet the review before posting anyway. I'd be pretty sure that a review pointing out the book is freely available from librivox.org wouldn't get through! And, in the real world, I get free access to thousands of audiobooks via my public library -- and not just PD books -- I don't think anyone needs to spend $$$ for audiobook recordings if they have a good public library.

Anyway, I just looked at some postings on LV. Frustration over this is a well-worn topic. [Get over it Gail]

Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK.