[COMPLETE] The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks by Joseph Banks - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Section 42 has just been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_42_banks_128kb.mp3
28:44.2, 88.9 dB

I don't have the balance system for any sailing at all, but the accounts of these most recent sections certainly punctuate what great innovations engines and good charts have been for ocean travel.

We do realise that we are very privileged here in NZ. Our current partial isolation from the world (and covid) is costing some sectors but overall the economy is better than expected. And, we can take trips within the country! The small number of cases that break out from the managed isolation quarantine facilities are just an indication of how contagious the virus is. NZ is a small enough and rich enough country to be able to afford and implement lots of both testing (including overnight viral genome sequencing as a tracing tool) and contact tracing. I'm no economist, but looking at share markets and their relative robustness through all this disruption, I wonder if the SMEs will take the big hits and the big corporates will take advantage of the chaos to build into sectors that have previously been relatively rich in SMEs. But maybe the big corporates aren't nimble enough....

Take care

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

42 PL OK!

My passion is windsurfer. Knowing that only your skill will get you home adds to the pleasure.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Section 43 has been uploaded and is ready for listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_43_banks_128kb.mp3
21 min 28.9, 89.1 dB

I've never tried windsurfing -- a friend is into it on Lyttleton Harbour. I fear that I would spend all my time in the water and never get up onto the board. Getting the wind right and not having to be rescued because of going out of the heads into the open ocean is the challenge at Lyttleton I think. Perhaps the same for Lake Michigan, and not ending up at a steel factory or at the Indiana Dunes.

I hope that you had a good Turkey day and perhaps were able to catch up with friends or family that had been suitably socially distancing. :mask:

Cheers, and thanks for listening.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

43 PL OK!

We did have a good T-day. Traded some oven hot dishes with our neighbors which made it a bit more festive.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Section 44 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_44_banks_128kb.mp3
17:26.4, 91.1 dB

Your T-Day sounds perfect for these Covid times. :mask:

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

44 PL OK!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hello --

Section 45 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_45_banks_128kb.mp3
21:06.8, 89.1 dB

I have to admit to being glad that this journey is nearly over. I fatigue of Banks. His writing is awkward, albeit they are unedited journals.... and often hard to read, his conclusions are frequently wrong (the indigenous Australians did practice agriculture -- the yams he saw were cultivated; the population size was small because they practiced birth control (probably an incomprehensible idea to an Englishman of his era) ... but the Endeavour crew didn't have much chance to observe the indigenous Australians, who wisely ran away, but it still didn't save them in the long run).... but I suppose that both go with the times and cultural context of his upper class British origins, although the time of this voyage was in the middle of the Age of Enlightenment. I admire von Humboldt more, but Banks was 30 years earlier and did not (I presume) have the advantage of knowing Goethe and other lights of Humboldt's time; or maybe it is that Humboldt's thoughts were more integrated and ??modern??. Perhaps I am just a bit disappointed about his description of Australia and Australians.

Enough of complaining, "my bad".

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Gail
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

45 PL OK!

I was watching "Lost Horizon" for a Zoom movie club I belong to. I found the implicit superiority of white/western cultural rather hard to take. Something I had not noticed in the movie when I was younger. AvH was (imho) almost unique for his time.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Section 46 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_46_banks_128kb.mp3
32:01.5, 89.6 dB

Of interest is a conjugate Aurora Australis sighting from near the equator, which was also recorded (but it would be Aurora Borealis) in Japan and China at the same time. The sun must have been really active.

Both Anne and David -- I hope that the holiday period is good for you and your families.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

In the intro you say 1778 instead of 1768, otherwise pl ok.

And HH to you and yours!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Thanks for picking up that error in Section 46. I have repaired it and uploaded it again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_46_banks_128kb.mp3

I have also finished Section 47, hopefully without glitches (there are a few annoying little clicks that I couldn't repair without re-recording, which is usually much worse for continuity -- they are probably not audible if there is more than a whisper of background noise).

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_47_banks_128kb.mp3
22:39.7, 90.2 dB

I am amazed that the Dutch in Indonesia were that close to Australia but don't seem to have made inroads into Australia. Starting with Tasman, they came across bits of Australia, south and north, but never put the pieces together. Curious....

Thanks for listening. How's Chicago? I am reliably informed that Santa made it to the West Loop.....

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

46 PL OK!

Santa had to wear his thermals this year. Brrr...We still managed to eat out this week at one of the few restaurants still open for dining. It's in Greektown and has a large outdoor patio. The retractable glass roof was like a magnifying glass and we were very comfortable in light jackets.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

47 PL OK!

No clicks that I noticed. Were the Dutch only looking for spices? I've always thought they wanted to trade not occupy.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi --

Here is Section 48.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_48_banks_128kb.mp3
31:42.1, 88.3 dB

I have learned another new word -- ordure. Didn't know that one. Ordure continues to be a problem in NZ. Kiwis have in the past liked to blame the tourists for the ordure left in inappropriate places -- but alas without any tourists, it is becoming apparent that Kiwis are as bad at leaving their ordure around as anyone else. (Walking out from an overnight tramping/backpacking trip a few days ago, there was a fresh small perhaps child sized pile of ordure in the middle of the track and the only people that we'd met that morning were Kiwis!! Ugh.)

Yes, I think that you are correct about the Dutch preferring to trade rather than occupy.

We approach the end of 2020, and perhaps not a minute too soon. Our little team of three has, I hope, reached the end of 2020 in good health.

Have a happy new year!

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

4 PL OK!

And a Happy New Year to you and yours.