Thanks

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK.

I recall seeing a lot of albatrosses while in NZ. At a nature preserve perhaps. Watching them land was rather amusing.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

craigdav1 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 8:36 am 7 PL OK.

I recall seeing a lot of albatrosses while in NZ. At a nature preserve perhaps. Watching them land was rather amusing.
Probably at the Royal Albatross colony near Dunedin. There is a live webcam. https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/

I think you were lucky to see any of them come in -- or maybe there is a right time of the day. or of the year.
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

gailtv wrote: January 12th, 2020, 12:23 pm Probably at the Royal Albatross colony near Dunedin. There is a live webcam. https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/native-animals/birds/birds-a-z/albatrosses/royal-albatross-toroa/royal-cam/
I think you were lucky to see any of them come in -- or maybe there is a right time of the day. or of the year.
Yes, it was outside of Dunedin. We were there in June and the adults were feeding their young. Watching the webcam right now.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

I think it must be very Zen being an albatross on a nest -- except when scratching perhaps.
instagram
#gailtv.art
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Again --

Section 08 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_08_banks_128kb.mp3
8:15.9, 90.2 dB

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

8 PL OK.

Killing albatrosses!
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Section 09 is uploaded for DPLing.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_09_banks_128kb.mp3
16:11.1, 88.8 dB

There are a couple of click/pop noises in there that I couldn't get rid of and I didn't re-record the text because that is usually even more obvious (due to a change of vocal tone) than a quick click/pop. Please let me know which you prefer and if the click/pop noises should be fixed (and whether you notice them).

Thanks for listening.

Oh - yes, killing albatrosses. They had different ideas then. I think that the more rare the bird the more likely they were to get their guns out -- museums and collectors paid more. Then there is the recipe for stewed albatross..... It was almost like recipes I've heard for stewed weka, but those involved adding a stone to the boiling liquid and throwing away the bird. No stone in the albatross recipe.

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That sounds like the recipe for cooked Galahs :D
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

9 PL OK.

You did a good removal job, and I'm sure rerecording would be much more obvious. A sad story in this chapter. A mom who will never see her son again.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi

I have been out to Ackers Pt (Rakiura) the last two days and seen albatrosses— 3 yesterday and 1 today. Buller’s mollymawks I think these were.

Cheers
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

They are just plain fun to watch.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi David --

Yes, albatrosses are fun, but not as much as forest parrots (kaka). I like the way that the albatrosses dip their wing tips to almost skim the water's surface.

Regardless, back in the real world, and here is Section 10.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/endeavourjournal_10_banks_128kb.mp3
26 min 38.9 sec, 90.2 dB.

I had to mess with it quite a bit to remove clicks and clunks so you may find the evidence (and I think there may be some small ones left). Please let me know what offends or disrupts so that I can correct further if needed. I have gotten fairly good at substituting good syllables for bad.

The council is making a new footpath in front of our house so there's a lot of machinery noise that may keep me from recording during the week day for a while (and on the weekend it is lawn mowers and power tools, etc.), so this project could be going even slower for a while. Ah, the sounds of suburbia...

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

10 PL OK!

You did a great job of removing the "clicks and clunks." Not sure how many days in a row I could eat sauerkraut.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Sauerkraut, salted cabbage, salted beef, yucky water.... No wonder a tasty bit of twice stewed albatross was so delicious! They probably would have enjoyed galah too, eh Anne?

Thanks for listening.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art